LOMCN VIP's

AngelOfDeath

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
In Hell
Solitude said:
There seems to be a devide on who likes/dislikes the VIP idea. Contirbutors and helpful members think its a good idea, GoT trolls think its a bad idea.

--Solitude--

even some of those that do contribute dont like the idea.....i am not a GoT troll as you so elequently put it........and i have contributed and am against it......

Rhys2002

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 25, 2005
AngelOfDeath said:
even some of those that do contribute dont like the idea.....i am not a GoT troll as you so elequently put it........and i have contributed and am against it......

I was all for it, hoping it would do some good for private mir, but lookin at who is in the VIP, i cant see that happening.

So i must go with what AoD said.

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
Some people already entered into this 'VIP' section cannot construct a peice of concise, flowing prose nor can they muster an interlectual response as clearly indicated by 'their earlier work'.

Now i must be confused or even confuscious, is it that people who release and develop become these VIPs? Or is it people who can construct a decent conversation? As i feel these rules are blurred, however that does not stray from my viewpoint, this idea is elitest and will just add to the already deep running rivalries that plague this forum.

Now as i cannot group myself somewhere id like it to be done for me.

I do not visit GoT and spam and talk like some dislexic imbecile, however nor do i release many things. Now this doesnt mean that i have nothing to release it means that i prefer to develop ideas and gain a better knowledge of the working of things. But lets just say i have no releasing history for the sake of the argument. I do however release things that i find in files, try and help people with server related problems and give help to peoples DBs.

So i put it to the 'ELITE' of this forum to put me in my place, as i obviously am not a good enough judgement of character to judge myself.

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
The impression i'm getting from this thread isn't one of critisism towards the whole VIP idea but people attempting to argue their way in, neither of which seem to be working.

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
i could not argue my way into a feminists thong party, im just putting it to a point, at the end of the day thats what this is for?

AngelOfDeath

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
In Hell
Minion said:
The impression i'm getting from this thread isn't one of critisism towards the whole VIP idea but people attempting to argue their way in, neither of which seem to be working.

argue my way in?..... i dont want to be a part of it as i have told leo.

btw minion.....what have you done for the community to deserve that purple glow..........

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
MrRob said:
Some people already entered into this 'VIP' section cannot construct a peice of concise, flowing prose nor can they muster an interlectual response as clearly indicated by 'their earlier work'.
Some people may not be able or have enough time to construct an admirable response to a post, however as long as they are capable of replying at least half decently its fine to me. Its not like we were going after the brightest, politest and supportful. - Mainly because we already have me ;) (leave my ego alone, can be fragile).
MrRob said:
Now i must be confused or even confuscious, is it that people who release and develop become these VIPs? Or is it people who can construct a decent conversation? As i feel these rules are blurred, however that does not stray from my viewpoint, this idea is elitest and will just add to the already deep running rivalries that plague this forum.
As I have said many times on this thread already, we were looking for people that have contributed to the community in someway, and deserve recognition. Being able to pull together a few fancy words is an added bonus, but not required. You will find however that most if not all of the current VIP's are more than capable of doing so nevertheless. After the canditate list was pulled together, it was put to the admin vote as originally said by Beachy. A user required at least 2 votes (2 out of a possible 5, admins approval) in order to be given VIP status. The admins were not given a set of instruction for voting, but instead left to their own devices.

You have given your opinion on this idea many a time already, therefore does not need to be restated. I disagree that its elitest purely in the sense that its a form of recognition and reward for a contribution, not a type of person. If you think their are rivalries in this forum other than from GoT trolls then I must ask what makes you think in such a way. We have people that release and develop freely, and players... neither of which are rivals amongst themselves or each other.
MrRob said:
Now as i cannot group myself somewhere id like it to be done for me.

I do not visit GoT and spam and talk like some dislexic imbecile, however nor do i release many things. Now this doesnt mean that i have nothing to release it means that i prefer to develop ideas and gain a better knowledge of the working of things. But lets just say i have no releasing history for the sake of the argument. I do however release things that i find in files, try and help people with server related problems and give help to peoples DBs.
As I have said countless times before, VIP status is based primary on the contribution to the community, a contribution that has been recognised by a moderator or above, and submitted to admins. I personally don't have the time to go scourering the forum looking for these honorable people, therefore rely on other staff. Therefore I have not seen a contribution from your admirable self personally, therefore in the position of moderator would not submit you to a staff member.

As much as I find grouping and labelling groups of people useful, I'm starting to find this whole elite thing a little insulting, even though I am obviously better than everyone in existance (again, leave the ego pls). If you don't mind me asking, is there perhaps another, deeper reason you don't agree with the VIP idea other than your distinction between 'elitist' and the 'others', which we have both now spent considerable time debating either way?

/Leo

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
You state that you find the labeling and grouping of people helpful, well what group am i in? That is my question.

I have no deep down reason for not agreeing with the 'VIP' area, i am just sorry to say that the egomaniacs that walk amongst us will use this 'Title' or opinion as i call it, and will use it to besmirch members as an act of belittlement.

The term elitest was banded about long befor i even perceived it as this, so id just like to clarify that.

Please do stop me if im being out of line as it were by stating my curiosity and arguing my point on this situation, as if at the end of the day i wanted to belong to a 'Elitest' society i would go and make my own forums.

I wonder how many of these 'VIPS' disagreed with the idea at first until being branded as one?

My purplexity (oops) does not lie in the status but in the opportunity. The opportunity to have an area completly (sp) free of moronic imbeciles and a place to actually hold proper conversations.

Now i thought about this and will put the question to you, could a section not be constructed for genuine people to converse in?

An area of which us 'un-superhuman' people can exclude ourselves from some of the random bollox that is injected into these forums on a daily basis?

Now dont in anyway get me wrong, its not as if we would like our own private forum setup to seclude ourselves away from anyone and never use the rest of the forum, but as an area where after helping with server files or looking at releases the genuine non arseholes that walk amongst us can then have a conversation in such area?

In the famous words of Lloyd Grossman 'David Its Over To You...'

Ripman

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jul 22, 2003
Romania, Timisoara
I my opinion i should get VIP not because i want that but because a lot of ppl becomed vip`s and helped this comunity as much i did. I am daily here helping if u look in posts, also i mirrored all files mir2 & mir3 24/7 as others did + i posted many times to help ppl even to warn about cheats and others things. So please dont judge me Leo or others for stupid posts that sometimes i made also u should not judge because i have only 300+ posts because i don`t like to spam forums.

I am w8ing for an answer from mobs admins, after this i will not bother u again.

Thanks

AngelOfDeath

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 5, 2003
In Hell
LeoCrasher said:
Some people may not be able or have enough time to construct an admirable response to a post, however as long as they are capable of replying at least half decently its fine to me. Its not like we were going after the brightest, politest and supportful. - Mainly because we already have me ;) (leave my ego alone, can be fragile).

good because some people with the purple glow wouldnt know their ass from a hole in the ground...........

LeoCrasher said:
As I have said many times on this thread already, we were looking for people that have contributed to the community in someway, and deserve recognition.

or are friends of one of the mods/admins? if u look up some of these elite vips
quite a few of them havent done squat......

LeoCrasher said:
As I have said countless times before, VIP status is based primary on the contribution to the community, a contribution that has been recognised by a moderator or above, and submitted to admins. I personally don't have the time to go scourering the forum looking for these honorable people, therefore rely on other staff. Therefore I have not seen a contribution from your admirable self personally, therefore in the position of moderator would not submit you to a staff member.

see what i said above this quote.......

LeoCrasher said:
As much as I find grouping and labelling groups of people useful, I'm starting to find this whole elite thing a little insulting, even though I am obviously better than everyone in existance (again, leave the ego pls). If you don't mind me asking, is there perhaps another, deeper reason you don't agree with the VIP idea other than your distinction between 'elitist' and the 'others', which we have both now spent considerable time debating either way?

well the whole "eliteist" thing has come up becuse labeling someone "Very Improtant Person" simply put is saying that the rest of the community are unimportant because we dont know the right person or group of persons or that we dont fit into the "Elite" catagory and i for one find that very insulting.........and not to insult your ego but you are no better than anyone on this forum we are after all...... human

Miles

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 27, 2003
Ok, since i have taken the time to read the entire thread i may as well dignify it with a response.

Firstly. MrRob, the VIP section is not for people who can "string a sentence together" the people in there have not been assessed for the quality of their written language or any grammatical mistakes they might commonly make, but for what they have contributed to private mir. Since most people who contribute enough to be accepted as a VIP have at least a shred of intelligence, and since most people who possess at least a moderate amount of intelligence usually find that posting things which don't make grammatical sense is degrading, then i don't think there is a problem.

Secondly. MrRob, you say that you're afraid that the "VIPs" will abuse their status and place themselves above other people. Do you really think that we would let this happen? If anyone thinks that someone is abusing their status then it will be reported to us and we will deal with it. On a side note if anyone finds that someone is abusing their status (be it a VIP or a Moderator) then i would appreciate it if you could pm either myself, or another member of the LOMCN Administrative team providing evidence (preferably links etc).

There are a number of things that we hope to achieve by creating VIPs :-

1) It gives people something to aim for, and we hope that it will encourage people to release more things, and to generally be more helpful. Instead of having an enormous amount of moderators, we thought that it would be better to have a new group where we could reward people for good work.

2) The VIPs can release things for intelligent people for testing and for help. Not only will this mean that there will be a place to test things without people spamming you're topic, but it will also mean that people with similar expertise can help translate/find bugs/generally help with the release without "noobish" people interfering. This should also provide an extra incentive to "do good" as people will have a reason for being helpful etc.

3) As i have already pointed out, the people that we are aiming to get usually have enough intelligence to uphold a decent conversation, and therefore the VIP board can be used to debate things that they want to with people who actually stick to their views and can formulate a proper argument. It provides a place for the people to chat without "GOTers" getting in the way.

Thirdly. AoD, you say that people get chosen because they're friends of moderators / administrators. To my knowledge not one of the people that have been chosen for VIP hasn't provided something important to the community. If you think that someone has been selected for being friends with the Staff then post here who and why so i can prove you wrong ^^.

Finally. Many people who have replied to this thread with negative comments have a problem with people being "labelled" as better than them. All i can say is that we haven't found everyone who deserves to be a VIP and many people who i think should be a part of the group haven't been chosen, as of yet. As long as you keep releasing things and helping people, then eventually you will get noticed. The VIP rank is not meant to be there to say that some people are better than you, it is meant to be there to reward people for "doing good" and to encourage people to try their hardest to help, and to contribute to the LOMCN community.

I hope that my post will convince you that what we are doing is correct, and if you want to post a rebuttal then please go ahead.

/Miles - 'David Its Over To You...'

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
AngelOfDeath said:
or are friends of one of the mods/admins? if u look up some of these elite vips
quite a few of them havent done squat......

well the whole "eliteist" thing has come up becuse labeling someone "Very Improtant Person" simply put is saying that the rest of the community are unimportant because we dont know the right person or group of persons or that we dont fit into the "Elite" catagory and i for one find that very insulting.........and not to insult your ego but you are no better than anyone on this forum we are after all...... human

Well, if you'd care to suggest a few names, I'm sure the admins would much oblige.

--

The whole elitist thing is nothing to do with the name. This is down to common jealousy. Currently, the world operates on the idea of a Benefit State, where you get the same as everyone else for doing nothing.

LomCN is not a Benefit State. If you've done nothing of worth, don't expect to be rewarded. Equally, if you do do something of worth, and are not rewarded, you're more than entitled to whine like a *******.

--

Why is it every time people confuse LomCN with a benefit state, the idea of unfair treatment arises. Sounds a lot like those pikey's (Travellers), who claim they are exempt from planning laws.

Unlike real life, the law here bites.

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
Ok fine, but filter through this tomfoolery and grasp my point:

Some people aren't clever enough to create/develop/upgrade things like files and programs and rely on RELEASES!
So... as long as King John, Sir Hiss and the rest share the wealth with the poorly people of Nottingham, I don't see why there shouldn't be a place where the aristocracy can talk about tea and crumpets!

Mar 23, 2003
FUTURA said:
Ok fine, but filter through this tomfoolery and grasp my point:

Some people aren't clever enough to create/develop/upgrade things like files and programs and rely on RELEASES!
So... as long as King John, Sir Hiss and the rest share the wealth with the poorly people of Nottingham, I don't see why there shouldn't be a place where the aristocracy can talk about tea and crumpets!

Sing it, Locksley! :P

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
"I only wish I could do more. Keep your chin up, there will be happiness again in Nottingham, you'll see."

Ripman

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jul 22, 2003
Romania, Timisoara
i see things about releasing stuff oke`....i saw Amdin was here did not read my post up there -> no problem

to clarafy this releases that all ppl telling around here.

We have some ppl that really do something and release stuff. But this release is www.webpage.com -> download file -> translate what it say in chinese -> post on forums so ppl can have.

A lot of ppl (great ppl and not rude to take only for them) released this things and i suppose they must be rewarded for this. But dont say all ppl need to release things because is nothing to release lool only fi chinese post on their forums. So be real all of u no1 release only take down form chinese and upload to us, as i did -> http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=32083 adn i released also i released and a upgrated version f m2server as lots did and they are VIP`s and i`ll "release" more. I dont know why u all judge ppl like this telling them to release because no1 is ever releasing something made by them only taken from chinese sites. We are a dead comunity because we leech chinese and this will remain till we wil have our full working source code and we will start to implemet our ideas in it. Then i think ppl will start to RELEASE.

thanks

Ripman

Mar 23, 2003
Ripman said:
We are a dead comunity because we leech chinese and this will remain till we wil have our full working source code and we will start to implemet our ideas in it.

Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

--

We've been down that road before. All that happened was me getting pissed off with a lot of people, a lot of people getting pissed off with me, and a lot of people leaving the mir scene.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Ripman said:
We have some ppl that really do something and release stuff. But this release is www.webpage.com -> download file -> translate what it say in chinese -> post on forums so ppl can have.

A lot of ppl (great ppl and not rude to take only for them) released this things and i suppose they must be rewarded for this. But dont say all ppl need to release things because is nothing to release lool only fi chinese post on their forums. So be real all of u no1 release only take down form chinese and upload to us, as i did -> http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=32083 adn i released also i released and a upgrated version f m2server as lots did and they are VIP`s and i`ll "release" more. I dont know why u all judge ppl like this telling them to release because no1 is ever releasing something made by them only taken from chinese sites. We are a dead comunity because we leech chinese and this will remain till we wil have our full working source code and we will start to implemet our ideas in it. Then i think ppl will start to RELEASE.
Ripman, I'd appreciate it if you would read ALL the posts before your own in this thread before you attempt to make a reply again. We have stated NUMEROUS times that people are made VIP's on recognition of contributions to the community, not just some translated releae - which btw is as worthy as everything else.

I understand where you are coming from when you say people are only translating Chinese releases. However Ripman the point you are bringing I do not think in its entirety is related to this debate. Unless you were trying to say people were made VIP for this reason, which imo is bollox. If you would care to name names, rather than just spout out your own opinion without backing it up.

Were not telling people to release stuff Ripman, grasp this fact. Were aiming to RECOGNISE people who HELP in anyway they can. Also, I find it insulting that you say EVERYONE does this download->translate->release process. Name ONE of MY releases that has used this process, try it... I dare you.

/Leo