Weight training and exercise FAQ.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
A few quick points!

1RM = one max repetition, in other words your max. So, let's say your max is 100 on X exercise:

3x10 75% 90s = 3 sets of 10 reps, 75% of your 1RM = 75, and 90 seconds of rest inbetween

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tbh, dont go lifting heavyer stuff just to build ya muscles n tone up etc.. start off on say ermm 5-10kg.. even 1kg works good.. do like 100+ of em each arm in eny way u want..
DOING EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT AND TONS OF REPS IS NOT TONING.

Want to know what it is? A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Very basic understanding of sets/reps

LOW reps HIGH weight = strength/mass

Examples: 10x3 (10 sets of 3), 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc etc and HIGH workload (80-90% of 1RM)

Usually 20-30 total reps

Rest is longer than other goals and can be upwards of 3-4 minutes between sets.

MORE reps MEDIUM weight = hypertrophy (i.e., BODYBUILDING; gaining lots of mass)

Examples: 6x6, 4x12, 5x10, etc and MEDIUM workload (70-80% 1RM)

Usually 40-50 reps

Rest is shorter, anywhere from 1-2 minutes is good

Triceps (Elbow to shoulder *underside* - These guys are located on the other side of your biceps and are important because working only your biceps will lead to "muscle imbalance" which can cause pain and injury. For these, stand leaning over (90 degree angle or as near as you can. keep your upper arm inline with your sides, and your lower arms pointing towards the ground. Then extend your lower arms backwards untill they are inline with your sides as well. This is the easiest way to work your triceps. 12-15 reps should be about right for this. Repeat up to 2 times, then rest the next day.

Shoulders The best way to work these are to hold the weights in your hands with your palms facing your sides. Stand with your back against a wall, and then lift the weights "sideways" (basically keep them the same distance from the wall while lifting) Your arms should be out straight and inline with each other at the top of the movement. Holf for a few seconds, then relax. 12-15 reps should be about right for this. Repeat up to 2 times, then rest the next day.

Chest/Pectoral This is where the famous "Bench press" comes into play. Lie on your back and hold the wieghts in the air above you with your arms very slightly bent. Lower them down untill your elbows are inline with your shoulders, then lift them up again. Dont allow the weights to touch (if using seperate dumbells. 12-15 reps should be about right for this. Repeat up to 2 times, then rest the next day.

Stomach/Abdomen Quite simply, this is a sit-up, however a better form is known as a Stomach Crunch. Lie in your back with your feet flat on the floor, and your knee's raised up quite high. You then lieft your chest and back off the floor. However you DONT left any of the back area on the other side of your stomach leave the floor. So in effect your lifting your chest upwards off the floor and nothing else. For these 10 reps is more or less great, repeat once.

Quads The easiest way to work these upper leg muscles is bay taking your weights in your hands and "crouching" down. So that your weight is on your heels, then standing most of the way up. Should feel the exercise working the muscles. 12-15 reps, repeat twice more if you can.

Hamstrings Basicaically this is your picking up exercise. Place your dumbells on the floor, then bend down to pick them up. The important thigns to do are to keep your back straight, look ahead as well as you can and bend your knee's while lifting. If this causes any pain in your back, stop and rest, dont **** with your back. Same as others 12-15 reps, repeat twice mire if you want.

Calves Nice and simple this one, Jog on the spot, but keep it "springy" by bouncing on your toes. Thse muscles build themsevles up constantly whenever your walking/running/jogging anyway. Reps and repeats as above.

More important information
The reps and repats in each workout are the maximum/minimum to get some effect. More is better up to the limits expressed in here. Anymore than that and your doing more cardio than anything else. So basically 12 is the least you want to do, and 45 is the maximum you want to do in any given day.

You should rest for a short while after each activity, and fit in at least one other activity between repeats. You should also aim to work different parts of the body as well. eg. Biceps - Calves - Stomach (repeat x 2) Then take a significant break of 30 minutes or more, and do 3 other muscle groups.

First of all, even though everyone else hates him, I love atom. So, this is in no way meant to be against him. I think everyone here appreciates the time atom has put in and I'd just like to make some adjustments.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TRICEP KICKBACKS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM EVERY GYM. And no, I'm not kidding. Do not waste your time.

WAY better exercises for triceps, no particular order:

Dip
Board Press (this is an awesome tricep exercise/ basically a limited range of motion bench press with a closer grip)
Cable Pushdown

There are THREE parts of the shoulder, anterior (front), lateral (side, and what that exercise is for), and posterior (behind). The parts of the deltoid cannot be trained with one exercise.

What I would recommend:

DB/BB Shoulder Press
Lateral Raise (what atom said)
Rear Delt Row

Benchpress is a compound exercise. This basically means it takes mutiple muscle groups to complete the movement. With compound exercises, your body picks what muscle group it wants to build the most! While this can be great for packing on size and strength, it doesn't mean that you're going to grow a lot in chest from benchpress. Me for example, benchpress mostly rips my triceps.

What I'm saying: If you want to develop a beach chest, YOU NEED ISOLATION EXERCISES.

What I am NOT saying: DON'T DO COMPOUND EXERCISES. EVERYONE should be doing benchpress, squats, and probably deadlifts.

Good chest exercises (besides BB (barbell benchpress):

DB Bench Press
Flys
Dips

If you're not doing weighted ab exercises, you need to do a ****load of reps. It doesn't have to be sudden, work up to it. The basic situp is in the normal position, but you don't let your shoulder blades/ middle/upper traps touch the floor and you bring your elbows to your knees.

Squats... squats... and way more squats. And since this is litterally probably the most badass movement you'll ever do, it's in pink.

SQUAT

Deadlifts... deadlits... deadlifts... and maybe some curls.

Straight Leg DL
Leg Curls

Calf Raise. And MORE calf raises.

I disagree. With weight training, you really don't want to be doing more than 12 reps in any set for pretty much anyone here.

NO. Absolutely not. Talk about inducing catabolism! (basicallly, muscle destruction). Since no one here is advanced, they're going to be doing one workout in a day with only some rest (1-3 minutes inbetween different exercises). Yoiu never want to take a huge (30 minute) break in anyone one gym session.

I'll add my thoughts on cardio with weightlifting later.

For now, check out this site: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

WONDERFUL reference for those who don't want to look at a paragraph explaining an exercise while trying to learn it themselves at their desk before they go to the gym.

PROTEIN. AND MORE PROTEIN. AND THEN MORE. If you train, you NEED to be consuming ONE GRAM OF PROTEIN PER DAY PER POUND OF BODY WEIGHT. So, basically 2 grams for every kilogram.

If anyone would like some free advice, I'd be more than welcome to design a program for them based on their goals.

Stay Strong!

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Tbh, dont go lifting heavyer stuff just to build ya muscles n tone up etc.. start off on say ermm 5-10kg.. even 1kg works good.. do like 100+ of em each arm in eny way u want.. if u have a light weight and u do say 100+ thats betta than having a heavyer weight and doing 50ish am 14 and i can lift 112.5kg on shoulder press can do 110ish on bench press.. work out 4-5hours a day.. got 6pac neck muscle shoulder muscle everything..

The basic principal of how muscles grow is that you in effect "damage" them so they use your body's protein to repair the muscle, when they are repaired they grow back stronger. Using your muscles will help your body work more efficiently, i.e. make you fitter... but the "elevated strength" you see is just because you've taken your muscles out of a kind of dormancy.

The idea behind telling you this is so that you can work out for yourself why taking ****ing ages waiting for your muscles to burn using a 1kg weight is not as beneficial as trying to lift a car and ripping your arms apart (a tad extreme). You need to find a balance in between, you don't want to damage your muscles beyond repair but you want to keep them working and growing, to do this you need to challenge them.

A guy/woman can look perfectly fit without the need to pressure their muscles though.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
What sawell said is true, but think of it as a tear of the muscle on a microscopic level, not literally having the main muscle ripped up into little parts.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
What you have to remember Urban is that this guide im writing isnt 100% awesome Iron Clad information. Its not close to what I do, and I know for a fact its not close that what anyone who actually does serious training does.

This guide is for people on LOMCN who think they know what they are doing (jenover). The section on toning was hard to write for me because I've never bothered with serious time on it. Basically I want to get people on LOMCN on the right route. (Think California to Michigan rather than Hollywood to Detroit *where the gangster rapping 100 rep homo's [sp?] are)

The lifts I suggested should but their muscles under some kind of strain, while at the same time not straining their minds to much. Although we both know a certain amount will think "Im going to start on 350kg" and strangle themselves trying to benchpress it.

With your permission, ill take your post, organise it into somehting less colourful and use it to rewrite my own post (credit given ofc) because like I said, I was always going to struggle with "toning and physique" because its not me. Perhaps I should have put the harder stuff in lol.

Edit: I, not sure whats going on at the moment, im not sure of you've understood my post, however a fair slice of your content is still applicable anyway. For this im talking pureply about giving the muscles *some* shape and definition, but maintaining some speed and high reps. Its the stage between Cardio and where you are. Also useful for people under 18 who may still be growing quickly and shouldn't subject themsevles to the extreme while at that stage.

The section on giving yourself badass muscles that you can use to crush a cat between your forearm and biceps is coming after, and im almost certainly going to get thoughts from you and Blaminator before I post that so that it doesnt end up being my routine and nothing else.

Basically I got lazy when writing this section anyway because I was distracted, but couldn't be bothered to stop which is why that section isn't exactly great. A re-write is probably exactly what it needs.

Last edited:

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
What sawell said is true, but think of it as a tear of the muscle on a microscopic level, not literally having the main muscle ripped up into little parts.

The best ways to look at it is like this: You have a peice of cloth folded into several layers through work, the cloth stretches and ultimately ends up with holes in it. When you rapair the holes, it still works exactly as before, but is bigger.

Mystickiller

Bored AF
Golden Oldie
Dec 24, 2003
Minnesota, USA
that jen jjust sounds like a retard.

few pointers from my side.

try to work out 2 muscle groups together that complement eachother.

i notmally do,

back - biceps
triceps - chest
stomach / lower back - shoulder (these dont compliment but the other ones do)

3 sets 1 of 12 reps 2 of 10 is good for muscle building, by the end of the 1st 12 you want to be feeling the burn, and same for the end of the 10.

its good to have some one spotting you on any exercise as you can push yourself harder.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
3 sets 1 of 12 reps 2 of 10 is good for muscle building, by the end of the 1st 12 you want to be feeling the burn, and same for the end of the 10.

This is quite a popular misconception, the general way to strengthen muscle but not size is to do what you say, except, 3 sets of 12 reps.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary

Very basic understanding of sets/reps

LOW reps HIGH weight = strength/mass

Examples: 10x3 (10 sets of 3), 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc etc and HIGH workload (80-90% of 1RM)

Usually 20-30 total reps

Rest is longer than other goals and can be upwards of 3-4 minutes between sets.

MORE reps MEDIUM weight = hypertrophy (i.e., BODYBUILDING; gaining lots of mass)

Examples: 6x6, 4x12, 5x10, etc and MEDIUM workload (70-80% 1RM)

Usually 40-50 reps

Rest is shorter, anywhere from 1-2 minutes is good

Oh ye! Quoting myself! Italian Stallion battallion!

Mystickiller

Bored AF
Golden Oldie
Dec 24, 2003
Minnesota, USA
This is quite a popular misconception, the general way to strengthen muscle but not size is to do what you say, except, 3 sets of 12 reps.

its actually lower reps more sets to build strength.

Do you read anything like muscle and fitness?
all the people that give you there routines that are big and well toned do them or pyramid sets.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary

all the people that give you there routines that are big and well toned do them or pyramid sets.

It depends on the rep/set scheme and loading. 4x6, 5x5, 10x3, etc.

DO NOT read that trash. I don't think there is ONE good newstand magazine out there. Perfect example is the routines they say big time guys do... and you find out it's not what they do.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London

From the various methods i've tried (Only over the course of a year and a half), I've found 3 sets, 8 reps to be most effective at mass gain, 3sets, 12-15 reps for strength training, and 3 sets of 15+ for endurance training, but I guess that's just my body

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
The personal trainer I have has me doing 3sets, 12 reps, just to tone. A good measure of weight is so that you feel you can't do the last 1 of the last set. However I am female and I am a model so I don't want to be all muscly lol. (Not what magazines want....go figure :P).

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
From the various methods i've tried (Only over the course of a year and a half), I've found 3 sets, 8 reps to be most effective at mass gain, 3sets, 12-15 reps for strength training, and 3 sets of 15+ for endurance training, but I guess that's just my body

BLAM! you are my apprentice! what are you doing!!!!

1-8 reps for strength for a set!

The personal trainer I have has me doing 3sets, 12 reps, just to tone. A good measure of weight is so that you feel you can't do the last 1 of the last set. However I am female and I am a model so I don't want to be all muscly lol. (Not what magazines want....go figure :P).

Training to failure is BAD.

The ONLY correct measure of weight is the % of your 1RM (one rep max) in accordance to your training goal and set/rep scheme and that day's purpose (max effort, dynamic, recovery, etc).

Last edited:

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
To be honest, and this is just my opinion. Noone can be told how to make their body look good. You have to know your own body and be in tune with it to know how to effect it best.
Making yourself look good is not all about training. it is a combination of mental, physical and environmental balance. You do NEED a good diet.
What works for some, does not work for others and so it often best to generalise and let peopls find their foothold based on that.
I've been using my trainer for about 2 years now and he got me from a size 14 to a size 8 going on 6 using techniques massively varying from those I have seen posted here.
That is not to say that those methods posted do not work, they work for some people.
I think the main point I am tryin to make is that people who are new to the whole area of body maintanence should not seek to mimic techniques mentioned here, instead use the general principle and tweak it until you find what works best for you.

Kazz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 12, 2006
Ive got a split routine, training 4 days a week for 3 years now. I come from a bodybuilding family and they've been training for over 15years now and ive learnt from them.
I do :
(mondays and thursdays)
Bench Press 5 sets 3rd set heaviest set (it works for me, 3 sets might be enought for some of you)
Incline flys 4 sets
Press Behind Neck 4 sets
Triceps 6 sets
Up right rows 4 sets

(Tuesdays and fridays)
Squats 5 sets (last set 16 reps, a burn out which i do once or twice a month)
Calfes 4 sets
Stiff leg deadlifts 4 sets
Deadlifts 5 sets ( twice a week )
Flys 4 sets
Stright bar bicep curls 4 sets
Dumbell bicep curls 3 sets

note : i do all my exercises on free weight using olympics bars

If its too extreme for you let me know and i can help write a routine for you.

Peace
Kazz

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
To be honest, and this is just my opinion. Noone can be told how to make their body look good. You have to know your own body and be in tune with it to know how to effect it best.
Making yourself look good is not all about training. it is a combination of mental, physical and environmental balance. You do NEED a good diet.
What works for some, does not work for others and so it often best to generalise and let peopls find their foothold based on that.
I've been using my trainer for about 2 years now and he got me from a size 14 to a size 8 going on 6 using techniques massively varying from those I have seen posted here.
That is not to say that those methods posted do not work, they work for some people.
I think the main point I am tryin to make is that people who are new to the whole area of body maintanence should not seek to mimic techniques mentioned here, instead use the general principle and tweak it until you find what works best for you.

Ths thread is about ONE thing. WEIGHT LIFTING.

There is very basic rules that APPLY TO EVERY ONE that have been said in this thread that NO HUMAN CAN DEFY.

You're a woman, this thread really does not apply to you AT ALL. I'm not being mean, I'm just telling the truth. And I'm NOT saying woman shouldn't weightlift, I'm saying the information in THIS thread has been tailored to MEN.

Also, weightlifting DID NOT get you from a size 14 to a size 8. DIET AND EXERCISE did that.

The basic information presented here will work for ALL MEN.

Techniques mentioned here? Excuse me, have you READ this thread? THESE ARE ALL GENERAL PRINCIPLES. This is the most BASIC stuff.

I don't mean to be rude, but you really have no idea what you are talking about.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Ive got a split routine, training 4 days a week for 3 years now. I come from a bodybuilding family and they've been training for over 15years now and ive learnt from them.
I do :
(mondays and thursdays)
Bench Press 5 sets 3rd set heaviest set (it works for me, 3 sets might be enought for some of you)
Incline flys 4 sets
Press Behind Neck 4 sets
Triceps 6 sets
Up right rows 4 sets

(Tuesdays and fridays)
Squats 5 sets (last set 16 reps, a burn out which i do once or twice a month)
Calfes 4 sets
Stiff leg deadlifts 4 sets
Deadlifts 5 sets ( twice a week )
Flys 4 sets
Stright bar bicep curls 4 sets
Dumbell bicep curls 3 sets

note : i do all my exercises on free weight using olympics bars

If its too extreme for you let me know and i can help write a routine for you.

Peace
Kazz

You don't seem to do a lot of pulling but great job on doing the compound lifts; too many people disregard those in favor of foo foo ****. Curious though, I see you do flys back to back 4 days?

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
EDIT: Cba, you obviously know best. but one thing puzzles me:
Ths thread is about ONE thing. WEIGHT LIFTING.
So why is the title Weight Training and exercise FAQ?
and for the record, my current job is as research scientist looking into muscle housekeeping cells, focusing on dietary and other environmental factors relating to maintanence with particular regards to muscular dystrophy. So i think I know a little something about muscle tissue and how best to cultivate it both in and ex vitro.
I hope you advise people on this post to take calcium supplments too whilst weight training...the reason why should be obvious to a person so well informed as you.

Last edited:

Kazz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 12, 2006
You don't seem to do a lot of pulling but great job on doing the compound lifts; too many people disregard those in favor of foo foo ****. Curious though, I see you do flys back to back 4 days?

I also do muay thai (been doing it for 8 years now) so i have to fit that in somehwere, i do tend to over work my self and end up being sick. (which is not a good feeling)
Incline flys are different they work on the upper part of your body i.e. chest shoulders, noramal flys i.e works on your lats (sides of your body with give you your "v-shape")