Join Discord

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Got started on a Spawn Editor (in VB6)

See screeny below.

It loads up the MapInfo.txt file, where you can select which map you want. it then fetches the dimensions from the .map and loads the .gen file you chose. You can then choose a spawn (from the list on the right) and it will show you that spawn, you can scroll through all of them to show you an overview of the entire map (as shown).

The Mob List on the Left (will be loaded from SQL) can be added to the Map (not implemented as yet) and dropped onto the map (setting Spawn Centre - X/Y), a second click will set the Spawn area and open up a box for you to enter Qty and Timer.

2 Questions,

Would it be useful? (i.e. is it worth finishing).
What else would be would you add to make it more useful?

/Mick

SpawnEditor.JPG

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Mick dont u ever take a break.

Great concept, just one question with it though.

1:Do u have to edit each cord and spawn rate indervidually or can it be done at once.

Somthing that you could also have working with it, is the ability to change the drop files as well.
If you take a look at the mir2 editor and see if you can corperate a few ideas from that, then it would be great to use and make things far less easier as well.

But great work and i would deffinetly use, even in its current state.

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
I made the Drop File Editor as well, so its relatively easy to join the 2 App's together..

I was looking for ideas to move it forwards..

i.e.

What would you feel would be the easiest way to create a Gen file..
I can already select multiple mobs to create a single easy to make Gen in about 3/4 clicks (and a few of keystrokes :P)....

I feel the graphical side of it will make it easier to view errors in your spawn files (like the incorrect co-ords in D202 I have shown above creating a massive spawn (shown by the circle overlapping the edges) over on the right of the map and the small concentration of mobs in the bottom right corner. The issue is, if you disregard this feature, what else would be useful to make it easier than just copy and pasting in text files.

Upvote 0

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
What about for NPC placement, could it be used for that as well??

Also what about adding a feature that allows you to test script integraty on scripts that uve created, it can be a pain in the ass when uve created a script and get it ingame and it doesnt work correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
placing npcs wld b good, but quite hard unless the map view was detailed.

instead of chosing the radius of the spawn, what about being able to drag the circle outwards? just easier than changing each number.

Upvote 0

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
I like this, and i would definately use it, as for improving as someone said previously if you could make it more detailed on what the maps look like then it would be brilliant for npc placing etc

Upvote 0

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
@idabiga good idea ^^ ... and yes better a Map view or a view based on the Break Points (Bariare) from a Map.

you use VB hmm ... (Version ?)

Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
From the point of view of select and click to build spawn files I would use it......the only other use for me would be if it showed a mini view of map that you couls hover curser over to pick coords :)

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Coly, VB6 (I haven't tried VB.net yet).

All, I was asked about loading the Map up, my issue is that I can't extract it from the wil as I don't know how to. That would mean extracting them all and then bundling them with the program, which although not hard, would mean only the maps I got done for would be usable. If someone could tell me how to extract maps from the wil, I could incorporate that info into the program.

I managed to load a map up with my Map Editor but it only worked on certain maps, I stopped working on it, and to complete it would mean a load of work which I simply don't have time for. I sent out my VB code for that to someone to complete, never happened though :(

Upvote 0

TritoN

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 21, 2003
this tool would be a major benefit for server hosts who wish to add or improve envir stuff...best would be to display boundaries of movement zones to make it easier to place spawns..dropfiles not that important as a spawnfile editor on its own would be a great improvement

Upvote 0

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
idabiga Open the Mir3 Map Editor load a map and set all Views to Disable
Only Bariers you set to display then you understand my Idea.

Upvote 0

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
Honestly I can say a spawn editor is always useful. every likes to make new areas and spawns and drops are always the most danting tasks lol.

Feature i think people would benefit from are:
- Fetch Monster Details (direct from sql or from export file)
- Reading Map Names and file names straight from mapinfo.txt
- Click on Map Name and check boxes for what monsters you want to spawn.
- I also like the idea of clicking on the minimap (but that sounds like alot of work compared to the above)

Nice work so far anyways :)

/Andy

Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Perhaps, as a seperate function, if there is a way to make a macro which will open a map with map editor, save it as a bitmap 1/16 of size or whatever into a new folder..... then go onto the next map, until all are done. Then your spawn editor can read from this saved map folder.....judging by the fact that map scale is a constant you could even fashion something which would give coordinates????

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
I will take my files to work on Monday and work on the maps... can't be that hard.

ATM, it reads direct from MapInfo.txt, then loads up the *.map file and gets the dimensions. It also loads up whether you have spaces or tab's (or any quantity of them) between each bit of info.

I will get it to load the boundaries up straight from the *.map file so that you can choose any map you want. But it will also load the minimap up if you have it in the /minimap folder (will come with the program when its done).

One slight issue is that It will load up a gen file only is it has the same name as the map. If this program was used it would probably be easier if you had 1 gen file for every map, that way I can expand it sooo much more :)

Upvote 0

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
i really like the idea it would be more as helpfull. till now i ever had hate it to go in the game than go out open gen change and go in the game again and so on and so on same with npc. as the most said the maps would be great but u said u work on it :)
for the npc it would be great if there is a possibility to put them on a map change the look from the npc and so on without going in game and after reboot tataaaaaaaa he is in :)

but hey diffently a nice work and better idea. i hope u finish it and we can use it a big thx for it

ameno

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
I was thinking about a Big App that does it all.

Load and View All NPC Positions (And Loads the Script up)
Load, View and Edit, All Gen Files
Load, View and Edit All Drops

And Anything else you think would be useful. i.e. GMList, MapQuests ETC. Its quite easy, its just spending the time making it do what you want it to.

Upvote 0

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
mhh GM list isnt importend i think because noone really change GMs all the time u can change one time manual and its fine. MapQuest would be fine also :)

Upvote 0

darc

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 12, 2004
nice tool :) a good idea for it would be to have default spawn settings... I.e, you select the map, select the mobs, and then select a spawn gradient, such as scattered/heavy/normal etc, and the tool will calculate and plot out the areas and spawn for you.. then you can manipulate as you wish. okay okay, its a lazy option, but still great to have lol. Also would be good if it could use the mob eyesight values from sql so it knows how to vary the spawns with different mobs, but again that is more work.

a simple addition, would be to have different colours (in the diagram window) for each of the different mobs on a map, so you can see them clearly.

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
The auto fill option is quite straight forward, basic maths really.

I was contemplating that option, but it will mean lots of overlapping circles of different colours, would look at bit hectic I think.

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Sorry for the double post.. but I was impressed with this lol

This will now work with any map as it loads up directly from the .map file.

SpawnBarrier.JPG

Upvote 0