Spawn Editor - Any Use

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Got started on a Spawn Editor (in VB6)

See screeny below.

It loads up the MapInfo.txt file, where you can select which map you want. it then fetches the dimensions from the .map and loads the .gen file you chose. You can then choose a spawn (from the list on the right) and it will show you that spawn, you can scroll through all of them to show you an overview of the entire map (as shown).

The Mob List on the Left (will be loaded from SQL) can be added to the Map (not implemented as yet) and dropped onto the map (setting Spawn Centre - X/Y), a second click will set the Spawn area and open up a box for you to enter Qty and Timer.

2 Questions,

Would it be useful? (i.e. is it worth finishing).
What else would be would you add to make it more useful?

/Mick

SpawnEditor.JPG

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Where do you get it?

P.S. Any errors will generally be a because of the lack of error checking in the program.. which is why I need these tests doing to ensure that I catch any errors and give the correct error report so that it can be fixed :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Apart from tooltip on Dark saying "it's raining" :) everything works fine on the viewing side - I've not tried to "alter" anything using the program yet.

Maybe the density of mobs could be a little more graphical than numerical? A square showing interpretation of mobs per square area? (number of dots in a box perhaps or a colour of box-white being rare, red being packed)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Apart from tooltip on Dark saying "it's raining" :) everything works fine on the viewing side - I've not tried to "alter" anything using the program yet.

Maybe the density of mobs could be a little more graphical than numerical? A square showing interpretation of mobs per square area? (number of dots in a box perhaps or a colour of box-white being rare, red being packed)

Dark Fixed :)

I was thinking the same about the Spawn. Its a matter of doing it in a way so that people will understand what it means. Also anything graphical will mean adding another form to it, or updating the map with a graphical representation of the spawn. I didn't want to update the standard map with this as it would confuse the area a little.

I will have a think on it, probably the best method is by using a figure, you can select any map already and it will tell you the density of mobs on that map, and you can then use that as a guideline, i.e. I know that Zombies 3rd is a quite heavily packed with mobs, so I could look at what density that is to get an idea of what spawn density I would want for another map.

Upvote 0

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
dw about my error it seems to have fixed itself :S lol its a good tool have only used it once just a quick little tinker but i uninstalled my SQL so i cant test the map :(

Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
If you can tell the size of a map 100 x 100 = 10000 squares and you can count up the mobs spawned then wouldn't it be possible to just do a bar chart (not on the map) showing proportion of 100% density? so 1000 mobs would be 10% - which would be basically one mob for every 10 squares or steps....so i suppose optimum would be about 30% ??

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
dw about my error it seems to have fixed itself :S lol its a good tool have only used it once just a quick little tinker but i uninstalled my SQL so i cant test the map :(

You don't need SQL installed at all to do anything on this program (as yet).

If you can tell the size of a map 100 x 100 = 10000 squares and you can count up the mobs spawned then wouldn't it be possible to just do a bar chart (not on the map) showing proportion of 100% density? so 1000 mobs would be 10% - which would be basically one mob for every 10 squares or steps....so i suppose optimum would be about 30% ??

I like that idea :) It will be in very shortly :)

Next.. :)

Progress.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Assuming you can build npc's from this utility, would it be possible to have an image of the npc available, or images so you can select the one you want.?

Apart from that I'd like to know if you want more than just viewing tested, I've not tried to alter anything with it yet.

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Chimera, Everything that is in the .doc is working, so test away :) I have extracted all of the images for the NPC's as I was going to add them into a image array and add them into the file but I don't know how, and the help files I found were not very helpful. The other option is to just add a folder that contains the images for each of the NPC's and it loads them up, but this would mean increasing the download size, and not everyone has the same NPC files. What would be better is to be able to extract the images direct from the .wil file, but I don't know how.

hallmat, if you have made a new map, it will load it up as normal, just add it to the MapInfo.txt and it will do the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
Added the option of loading the following, (can be seen on the Edit window) it simply loads the text file up for you, nothing major here.. just quicker than searching for it.

GuardList.txt
AdminList.txt
MiniMap.txt (I could probably incorporate this a little more)
StartPoint.txt

Also added in a new Form for MapQuests.. see picture. This can be either turned on or off, so it will not have to be a permanent window open. It will load the MapQuests for that map in the background, so you can quickly check to see what is on that map and close that window down again. Will also be adding the option of loading the script up that is related to that MapQuest, and hopefully the option of cross checking your MapQuest with the Mobs that spawn on that map, and.. once I get this program linked into the Drop Editor, with the drops as well.

MapQuest.JPG

P.S. New post.. because of new info :)

Upvote 0

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
New Download.

This has various fixes as mentioned, and also the MapQuest form added. You can load the scripts by DoubleClicking it in the MapQuest list. You can access the MapQuest Window by going to the View Menu in the Spawn List Window.

http://www.sting3g.com/StingPatches/Mir3MultiTool-A.rar

Please note - the Fix All Files option now fixes the following files, so please back up all files before messing.

"Merchant.txt"
"MapQuest.txt"
"StartPoint.txt"
"GuardList.txt"
"MiniMap.txt"
"AdminList.txt"
"MapInfo.txt"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2008
This is a very good program and has worked well with no errors so far, and easily set up aswell :)

Nice work

Upvote 0

mapadale

This is a very good program and has worked well with no errors so far, and easily set up aswell :)

Nice work
Its an awsome program, I've got my creation time down by about 40%. Which gives me more time on creating other things.

Upvote 0