GUIDE: Making a weapon for mir

mlefevre

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2003
I've attached .FBX but it looks like the SDK's get screwed up, the controller's direction attribute won't work for you.
I'm not sure what you call Driven Keys in MAX, but you just need to setup a custom attribute with values 1 - 8 and create a Driven Key animation on the testgrp with the following values:

customAttrValue 1 -> testGrp.rotateY 180
customAttrValue 2 -> testGrp.rotateY 135
customAttrValue 3 -> testGrp.rotateY 90
customAttrValue 4 -> testGrp.rotateY 45
customAttrValue 5 -> testGrp.rotateY 0
customAttrValue 6 -> testGrp.rotateY -45
customAttrValue 7 -> testGrp.rotateY -90
customAttrValue 8 -> testGrp.rotateY -135

Never played around with .FBX but I did try alot of the options before exporting - if you know how to export driven keys correctly, let me know and I'll try again for ya.

Attachments

• exampleScene.zip
    47.7 KB · Views: 28

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Cheers m8 greatly appreciated. There are no driven keys in Max ><. You can probably do it by Max script but im crap at it. I can see what the idea is tho the animation sort of worked but im not sure of the correct length of frames - the sword has 115. I had to delete the testgrp because it was making it spin around incorrectly.

I can work around it tho - its easy to put a helper point in the center of the scene and link the swords rotation to that and just rotate that by the correct angle. Ive rendered the animation and saved as an AVI, as i havnt done anything for mir for ages im not sure if it looks how it should - ive attached it if you have a second

Attachments

• New_test.rar
    149.8 KB · Views: 21

stephenking

I HAVE A DREAM!!
Developer
Aug 28, 2005
Netherlands
I can work around it tho - its easy to put a helper point in the center of the scene and link the swords rotation to that and just rotate that by the correct angle

exactly what the direction curve does ;)

btw the renderingcamera position/angle is very important for the end result of the itemimage ;)

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
exactly what the direction curve does ;)

btw the renderingcamera position/angle is very important for the end result of the itemimage ;)

yeh thanks m8, i just zoomed in a bit so you could see it better for the avi. Ive got fumefx and afterburn for max and combined with your animation paths i can make some cool warrior spells

mlefevre

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2003
Had a play around today and modelled a sword. Used a blueprint from google images :) - Just gotta apply some textures. Not exactly the traditional style I had in mind. :x

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
I put it in to a max scene if anyone want to use 3DS Max to do this

Attachments

• MirWeapon.zip
    87.3 KB · Views: 36

stephenking

I HAVE A DREAM!!
Developer
Aug 28, 2005
Netherlands
The thing is though is there a quick way to output all the placements and frames that you need?

with the .mel script you can export fast enough.
you can just crop the images with the tools i provided.

for the placements tho there should be a faster solution but not until someone has a good enough player model to calculate the hand coords(frame placement)

if this is what you meant :cool1:

P.S hello all been very long since i showed myself

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
Like this thread and will this work with Maya 2011?

Also is the process the same for Armours?

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Like this thread and will this work with Maya 2011?

Also is the process the same for Armours?

see no reason why not, the armours would need different coordinates though, but you could do it via placements in your wil files i guess.. but its a major pain in the arse for 1200-1600 images(i forget how many).

only other way i can think of is if your render out the armours to the same size, directly positioned to the centre from all angles, but then it all depends how the server files reads the wils and whether some angles need to be offset more or not.

overall its not worth the hassle imo :P

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
see no reason why not, the armours would need different coordinates though, but you could do it via placements in your wil files i guess.. but its a major pain in the arse for 1200-1600 images(i forget how many).

only other way i can think of is if your render out the armours to the same size, directly positioned to the centre from all angles, but then it all depends how the server files reads the wils and whether some angles need to be offset more or not.

overall its not worth the hassle imo :P
Thanks for the reply as soon as i sort out some sort of server i will make a nice collection of weapons to show off but not while i keep getting the connection closed error...

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
did anyone make any progress with this? iv been looking at the 3ds version and they seem in pretty bad shape, placements all over the place and alot missing.

if anyone has a working 3ds scene please msg me.

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
// Error: renderWindowEditor: Object 'renderView' not found.

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
// Error: renderWindowEditor: Object 'renderView' not found.

Perhaps http://3dg.me/3d-graphics/maya/fix-for-maya-2012-error-setparent-object-renderview-not-found or
http://www.creativecrash.com/forums/mel/topics/error-object-not-found-renderview could be of some use?
What I found on a quick google, sorry I don't use Maya so cant be of more help.

Seems autodesk have fixed the error themselves in version 2012(apparently, assume same in 2013) what version do you use? perhaps updating your version may help.

Last edited:

ashleyuk

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Nov 18, 2008
Look's bloody awesome.

Thanks For Release +1Rep (Not ever seen this thread) - SHOULD BE TAGGED Some Where.

-Ash

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
Perhaps http://3dg.me/3d-graphics/maya/fix-for-maya-2012-error-setparent-object-renderview-not-found or
http://www.creativecrash.com/forums/mel/topics/error-object-not-found-renderview could be of some use?
What I found on a quick google, sorry I don't use Maya so cant be of more help.

Seems autodesk have fixed the error themselves in version 2012(apparently, assume same in 2013) what version do you use? perhaps updating your version may help.
I'm in Maya 2011 but i never got that error before. Hopefully those links can help.

Edit:Yes, they helped cheers.:)

Last edited:

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
How do i replace the example sword(ownagesword) with my own without having to set new keyframes?