Cricket - Ashes

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Anyone into cricket?

Must admit, I never follow cricket untill it's Ashes.

England retained and just won the series 3-1. The first time since 1986-87. It's quite an achievement and I'm very pleased.

The England fans over there have been brilliant throughout too... Lucky people to be out there watching it.

At least we can win something in some Sports, eh? Fook Football! :lol

kash12

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2004
Follow it a bit, mainly just the ashes though. Was supporting Australia but was seriously disappointed. England outplayed them by far. Hussey and Haddin are the only ones who can really walk away from the series with some pride, mabye smith aswell he was doing good at the end.

As for their bowlers, it was shocking. Cook averaged over 100 for the series, that's absolutely ridiculous. Still don't like how all the England fans/commentators etc are making England out to have played amazing, yeh they're doing well, this is probably one of their best sides in a long while, but them winning in Australia was more due to Australia being mega **** than England doing particularly well.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
To be honest, yeah Australia were poor, but England also played very well. Eitherway, I've enjoyed it... Obviously!

F1268CABC73629108D5A3952038F8.jpg

Robbie Fowler at it again. (He now plays football in Australie... And that was his celebration infront of all the aussies)

He's a bellend... But nice celebration!

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
Well into cricket mate. And was buzzing when we retained the ashes, was great thrashing Australia they all couldnt believe it, but they were thoroughly outclassed, bring on the world cup

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Cricket? I believe Mr Bryson summed it up perfectly...

Bill Bryson said:
"After years of patient study (and with cricket there can be no other kind) I have decided that there is nothing wrong with the game that the introduction of golf carts wouldn't fix in a hurry. It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making all other human endeavours look interesting and lively; that was merely an unintended side effect. I don't wish to denigrate a sport that is enjoyed by millions, some of them awake and facing the right way, but it is an odd game. It is the only sport that incorporates meal breaks. It is the only sport that shares its name with an insect. It is the only sport in which spectators burn as many calories as players - more if they are moderately restless. It is the only competitive activity of any type, other than perhaps baking, in which you can dress in white from head to toe and be as clean at the end of the day as you were at the beginning.

Imagine a form of baseball in which the pitcher, after each delivery, collects the ball from the catcher and walks slowly with it to centre field; and that there, after a minute's pause to collect himself, he turns and runs full tilt toward the pitcher's mound before hurling the ball at the ankles of a man who stands before him wearing a riding hat, heavy gloves of the sort used to to handle radio-active isotopes, and a mattress strapped to each leg. Imagine moreover that if this batsman fails to hit the ball in a way that heartens him sufficiently to try to waddle forty feet with mattress's strapped to his legs, he is under no formal compunction to run; he may stand there all day, and, as a rule, does. If by some miracle he is coaxed into making a misstroke that leads to his being put out, all the fielders throw up their arms in triumph and have a hug. Then tea is called and every one retires happily to a distant pavilion to fortify for the next siege. Now imagine all this going on for so long that by the time the match concludes autumn has crept in and all your library books are overdue. There you have cricket.

The mystery of cricket is not that Australians play it well, but that they play it at all. It has always seemed to me a game much too restrained for the rough-and-tumble Australian temperament. Australians much prefer games in which brawny men in scanty clothing bloody each other's noses. I am quite certain that if the rest of the world vanished over night and the development of cricket was left in Australian hands, within a generation the players would be wearing shorts and using the bats to hit each other.

And the thing is, it would be a much better game for it."

****ing hillarious.