Weight Training - which protein shake.

smoochy boys on tour

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
before i start may i ask that no-one trolls , thanks.

few details about me , skip if u cba with this bit.

right iam 21 , 6'3/6'4 weight like 14 stone 3 ( iam not skinny at all but not big
tongue.gif
)

iam from the uk and wanting to start with pumping some iron
cheesy.gif

i was wondering are these any good for the money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5KG-WHEY-MATR...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item1e64e2539a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5LB-WHEY-MATR...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item1e64fb85d1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Whey-Pro...Vitamins_Supplements&var=&hash=item870c533459

which one would be best for weight gain and muscle growth or which one would you recomend ( i aint fused about isolate , its more expensive and its got about 10% more protein then concentrate)

thanks for reading.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
They are all basically the same. If you are watching your weight make sure you have one with low carbs low fats. If you want one to assist in pre-workout recovery have one with carbohydrates. If you want quick release protein (for after training) use Whey and if you want slow digesting (TO have before bed) use Casin. I don't use ones mixed with additional amino acids since I add mine seperate. I also recommend Bodybuilding warehouse for whey.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
I would suggest using a All in one if your fairly new to training, as its all there for you with set times.

Personally I would suggest http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_xs
Which has your Creatine and HMB.
If you decide to buy that you can use my discount code (MP144979)

What are your aims, put on size? muscle? or loose weight?

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Cheaper to buy it seperate plus you can regulate dosage. You can get 90+ (5kg) whey for £40. 1kg of Creatine for £10 , add Amino acids for £10. This is what I would do.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
Yeah only problem is measuring, mixing, taste and trying to remembering times. If you trained for awhile and know what your doing you can do but for someone new to training its alot harder especially with conflicting information that is always about.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
I would suggest using a All in one if your fairly new to training, as its all there for you with set times.

Personally I would suggest http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_xs
Which has your Creatine and HMB.
If you decide to buy that you can use my discount code (MP144979)

What are your aims, put on size? muscle? or loose weight?

size on arms n shoulders , i got big legs as it is.

ill be v ery honest here , i got a large head ( not massive lol!!!) and to me my head looks 2 big in preportion to my shoulders.

is it worth taking it before work or in middle of a shift? i got a physical job.

also ill only be gyming it like twice a week and rest of week be using my 20kgx2 dumbells which imo is heavy enough for what i wanna achieve.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
The shakes are ment to be used for after training or to supplement a meal if all else fails. It is more beneficial to your body to eat 200 grams of chicken with 40grams of Protein than just 40g of Whey protein. Only time I take my shake is when I wake up to stop muscle wasting , after training and before bed (I mix with peanut butter for slow digestion). Eating lots gets you to grow. Twice a week is also not enough IMO to cover the entire body to gain some serious mass. The 20kg dumbells aint going to be great either until your really really skinny.

I've gone from 155lb to 200lb in 3 years and I've been ill as of late and cutting and now I'm at 180lb. EAT EAT EAT!

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
The shakes are ment to be used for after training or to supplement a meal if all else fails. It is more beneficial to your body to eat 200 grams of chicken with 40grams of Protein than just 40g of Whey protein. Only time I take my shake is when I wake up to stop muscle wasting , after training and before bed (I mix with peanut butter for slow digestion). Eating lots gets you to grow. Twice a week is also not enough IMO to cover the entire body to gain some serious mass. The 20kg dumbells aint going to be great either until your really really skinny.

I've gone from 155lb to 200lb in 3 years and I've been ill as of late and cutting and now I'm at 180lb. EAT EAT EAT!

i wont be doing the entire body , arms / shoulders / back. if i got stocky on top , i wouldnt look outta proportion.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
2 days a week can be fine, just hit the gym hard those 2 days if you really want mass get big compound moves in you need to train your legs 2 it will help release hormones. Try doing moves such as squats/hang cleans/dead lifts/bench press/bent over rows/lat pull downs. As mental said eat big but not crap make sure you get in a decent ammount of protien, can even take some before gym and after just to get it in there, stack ur plate with the meats. Also might be a good idea to get some decent multivitamin tablets.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
2 days a week can be fine, just hit the gym hard those 2 days if you really want mass get big compound moves in you need to train your legs 2 it will help release hormones. Try doing moves such as squats/hang cleans/dead lifts/bench press/bent over rows/lat pull downs. As mental said eat big but not crap make sure you get in a decent ammount of protien, can even take some before gym and after just to get it in there, stack ur plate with the meats. Also might be a good idea to get some decent multivitamin tablets.

complete vitamins do from tesco? and should i just take 1 a day or should i be overloading my body with them ( say its say take 1 a day , take 3?) iam a total noob to all this , my m8s put me off when i went last cause i was lifting what they was lifting. Started to feel all shakey in gym and sick , hour later was throwing up water.
When you first go to the gym , you might think your pretty strong but boy i soon realised i had hardly any upper body strength.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
I use http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/alpha_men or Animal PAK, its got alot of vits you need when training. Also if you can buy some mixed nuts from tescos and eat about 50g+ a day good for vitamins and contains good fats. Btw do you have a friend who knows how to train properly in gym? As alot of people just waste there first few months doing silly moves like bicep curls trying to get massive.

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
When you first go to the gym , you might think your pretty strong but boy i soon realised i had hardly any upper body strength.

Truth!
i use to go to the gym everyday (After work, Work its self was pretty physical anyway) when my coach told me to start on 6kg weights i laughed my ass off, until he told me todo "21's" 7 reps From elbow, then 7 from elbow to chest, then 7 full reps AS slow as possible. so about 1min every rep. I was pretty damn tired lol.

My gym diet was mainly protein based, So i'd just use the after workout Shakes they had on offer there.

The big guys used to bring HUGE tubs of Peanut butter, and also snack on cottage cheese...

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Just keep at it and you'll get strong. My strengh has gone up like 300%. Train hard. Atm I've shrunk and lost a bit of endurance due to illness and antibiotics but it motives me to train harder. Got my bench up to 115kg this year so I'm happy.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
i wont be doing the entire body , arms / shoulders / back. if i got stocky on top , i wouldnt look outta proportion.

You should work your entire body since it performs as that way. Especially if you work a physical job.

How many hours a week (and what days) do you work? Also, when would you be going to the gym? Recovery is a very important.

The absolute basic is a whey protein shake after your workout (you can take one after your job as well). You want about 25-40 grams of protein. Also, you're going to want some fast acting carbs in it. Based on your height and weight (around 200-215 pounds?) you might even use a mass gainer. In addition to protein, I would add creatine monohydrate. If you don't want to load it, take 5 grams before and after your workout. Pure monohydrate, everything else is crap or expensive. The last thing I would recommend is branch chain amino acids (BCAA). They are TREMENDOUS at helping recovery and helping your body feed off something other than your muscle. For that I would take 5 grams before, during, and after your workout.

The most important thing outside your workout for you gaining muscle and transforming your body is to eat roughly 2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight. You will need to eat a lot, especially with your physical job. Don't be afraid of food, it is your friend lol. If you're not getting bigger, you're probably not working hard enough or eating enough or both.

As for your workouts, if you are going to the gym only twice a week, I would focus on a whole body routine. Squats, bench press, rows (DB or BB), military press, etc. Don't kill yourself, doing too many compound movements (especially legs) can hurt your progress and fatigue your body. Remember that you also must give your body a break by doing what's called deloading. There are differing opinions on this (don't do anything, reduce volume, reduce intensity, etc) but basically every 4th week you should probably only work up to 80% intensity (how heavy the weight is) and half the volume (amount of reps/sets).

And last, but not least, you should be looking at doing a weight that is challenging but not overbearing of your max for about 3 sets for 8 reps. That does not include warm up. If you have ANY questions feel free to ask.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
You should work your entire body since it performs as that way. Especially if you work a physical job.

How many hours a week (and what days) do you work? Also, when would you be going to the gym? Recovery is a very important.

The absolute basic is a whey protein shake after your workout (you can take one after your job as well). You want about 25-40 grams of protein. Also, you're going to want some fast acting carbs in it. Based on your height and weight (around 200-215 pounds?) you might even use a mass gainer. In addition to protein, I would add creatine monohydrate. If you don't want to load it, take 5 grams before and after your workout. Pure monohydrate, everything else is crap or expensive. The last thing I would recommend is branch chain amino acids (BCAA). They are TREMENDOUS at helping recovery and helping your body feed off something other than your muscle. For that I would take 5 grams before, during, and after your workout.

The most important thing outside your workout for you gaining muscle and transforming your body is to eat roughly 2 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight. You will need to eat a lot, especially with your physical job. Don't be afraid of food, it is your friend lol. If you're not getting bigger, you're probably not working hard enough or eating enough or both.

As for your workouts, if you are going to the gym only twice a week, I would focus on a whole body routine. Squats, bench press, rows (DB or BB), military press, etc. Don't kill yourself, doing too many compound movements (especially legs) can hurt your progress and fatigue your body. Remember that you also must give your body a break by doing what's called deloading. There are differing opinions on this (don't do anything, reduce volume, reduce intensity, etc) but basically every 4th week you should probably only work up to 80% intensity (how heavy the weight is) and half the volume (amount of reps/sets).

And last, but not least, you should be looking at doing a weight that is challenging but not overbearing of your max for about 3 sets for 8 reps. That does not include warm up. If you have ANY questions feel free to ask.

shameful but i work at TESCO on nights on beer 3 nights , then work with dad 2-4 days a week doing landscape gardening (manual work again ) , how much is all this stuff gunna cost me a month lol?

i get a car in 2-4 week so ill be starting to go then.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland

O Mai GAWD, looks who it is! Hi urbanfox.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Looking after your body is expensive and there is no way around it. What I do to save money is buy **** load of tuna / chicken / turkey when it goes on offer. Whey generally is always going to expensive especially since its a complex process to make. Creatine is cheap so that is your best friend too.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
lol. All this stuff makes me laugh. If you're gonna post buff pics then I'll take it back, otherwise, it's a waste imo.