"Use Heroes or Ruby - Not 2.3"

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
The biggest thing that puts me off has tobe the online registration who ever thought of that needs shooting. It just seems so much faffing about trying to set heros/2.6 up it just turns people away towards the 2.3

Due to the fact that the files came from euro mir like that why change it? Takes a whole tens mins to setup the web server for it.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
So why are you here? out of boredom ? the heroes and ruby files have come such a long way from 2.3 it's just daft people aint using them and most probably because alot are set in there ways with 2.3 as they know how it works within the files, but if people took more than 5 mins trying to create a server they would see the benifits of using the more up to date set of files, my fav being the heroes due to anyone being able to use them and host (light weight). Either way both files are a much better option over 2.3 and my thanks goes out to all those involved in developing both sets of files.

I think the main reason isbecause ruby is a complete ****er to set up, so people assume hero's is the same.

Which isnt true, hero's are easier to work than 2.3 there such a doddle its unreal , need to promote the fact that hero's aint difficult to set up and use as i dont think people are aware of this, as if they are there is absolutly no reason to carry on using 2.3 lol

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
Id use them but I don't really know anything about them, and I don't think they support a transition from 2.3? The whole "Development" scene does seem a little like they are not ready for use as someone pointed out

Plus the fact there is two different sets of files. What exactly is this saying to people? As far as I can see from screenies is that 2.3 is mir as people know it, and these new file sets are something far different!

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Id use them but I don't really know anything about them, and I don't think they support a transition from 2.3? The whole "Development" scene does seem a little like they are not ready for use as someone pointed out

Whereas 2.3 is a finished product? No, it still has bugs, which can't be fixed. Unlike ruby/heroes which are "in development" which only means they have people working on them not only fixing bugs but adding new stuff - again, same cannot be said for 2.3.

Scorpian said:
Plus the fact there is two different sets of files. What exactly is this saying to people? As far as I can see from screenies is that 2.3 is mir as people know it, and these new file sets are something far different!

And they are very different. It should be saying to people that they have a greater choice. 2.3 is mir as people know it only in the sense that it was all that was available for x amount of years. Not because they're identical to Euro. The new files are something far different in the sense that they aren't 5/6/7 years out of date. :)

People need to move on or the game will die quicker because the limitations with 2.3 have been met and people get bored of it.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
So you think creating a rift between mir2 players is a good thing? Half on Ruby half on heroes? Its Mir3 all over again. The community is divided enough as it is.

The limitations of 2.3 have not been met. Far from it. I Notice you danced around my first question

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
So you think creating a rift between mir2 players is a good thing? Half on Ruby half on heroes? Its Mir3 all over again. The community is divided enough as it is.

The limitations of 2.3 have not been met. Far from it. I Notice you danced around my first question

Wait what? So we should do what exactly? Stay on 2.3 and simply not update anything at all? I fail to see how having different versions of files creates any sort of rift. It's simple if you want Official Wemade features use Ruby, if you want more Custom features (Stalls, Mir3 Maps, Combo skills etc) then people can use Heroes, and if you want a heavily PvP based Server than 2.3 is probably best for now.

You say Half on Heroes and Half on Ruby as if that's a bad thing. Isn't the whole point of Private Servers to allow people to experience different versions of Mir. I mean otherwise we'd all just play Official. In the end all we're looking for is for Server Creators to give newer files a shot. People like Heroes, people like Ruby, and people also like 2.3. But a lot of people think Heroes and Ruby being newer are harder to create and run a Server. I can't speak for Ruby but Heroes is extremely simple to set up and any issues people have when setting them up are small and easily fixed.

And yes I'd also argue the limitations of 2.3 has been reached. You can only go so far in my opinion with the same Skills, the same Mon AI, and the same features. NPC Scripting can be amazing but it's only one portion of the game.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

No you can't transfer databases from 2.3

Everything you can do on 2.3 has been done...several times.

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Legendary
Mar 12, 2005
Obviously a server running for more then a year using the 2.3 files will still use 2.3 if the information cant be transferred to newer files, otherwise they would have to start a fresh.

So the information cannot be transferred?

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Legendary
Mar 12, 2005
Thats the main reason I understand a long term server not using the files but any new server owner would be stupid not to use the newer files.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
No you can't transfer databases from 2.3

Everything you can do on 2.3 has been done...several times.

Wait what? So we should do what exactly? Stay on 2.3 and simply not update anything at all? I fail to see how having different versions of files creates any sort of rift. It's simple if you want Official Wemade features use Ruby, if you want more Custom features (Stalls, Mir3 Maps, Combo skills etc) then people can use Heroes, and if you want a heavily PvP based Server than 2.3 is probably best for now.

You say Half on Heroes and Half on Ruby as if that's a bad thing. Isn't the whole point of Private Servers to allow people to experience different versions of Mir. I mean otherwise we'd all just play Official. In the end all we're looking for is for Server Creators to give newer files a shot. People like Heroes, people like Ruby, and people also like 2.3. But a lot of people think Heroes and Ruby being newer are harder to create and run a Server. I can't speak for Ruby but Heroes is extremely simple to set up and any issues people have when setting them up are small and easily fixed.

And yes I'd also argue the limitations of 2.3 has been reached. You can only go so far in my opinion with the same Skills, the same Mon AI, and the same features. NPC Scripting can be amazing but it's only one portion of the game.

Why do people keep putting words into my mouth. Obviously we all have our opinions. I am confident I could carry on with 2.3 for another 5 years, not that I want to, but there are many servers owners in the same position as me - there is no support for the transition from 2.3 to any of the other servers. Where is the support for the few servers that have any amount of longevity? I had the exact same database problem with 1.9 to 2.3 and ended up resolving me myself because of the pure arrogance and resistance I met here on lomcn. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for all the work done here, and I have been investigating use of these two server types to take over for Project69's 10th anniversary in November.

Look i'm not arguing for arguments sake, its just how I see it. Ill not post here again to keep it sane

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Legendary
Mar 12, 2005
Why do people keep putting words into my mouth. Obviously we all have our opinions. I am confident I could carry on with 2.3 for another 5 years, not that I want to, but there are many servers owners in the same position as me - there is no support for the transition from 2.3 to any of the other servers. Where is the support for the few servers that have any amount of longevity? I had the exact same database problem with 1.9 to 2.3 and ended up resolving me myself because of the pure arrogance and resistance I met here on lomcn. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for all the work done here, and I have been investigating use of these two server types to take over for Project69's 10th anniversary in November.

Look i'm not arguing for arguments sake, its just how I see it. Ill not post here again to keep it sane

So 'If' we added support to upgrade from 2.3 without loss of data you'd most likely use a newer set of files.

This could be done, it would just be a bit of work and at the moment I think they are more involved with bug fixing.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
Yeah for sure. And I am pretty sure most 2.3 servers would follow eventually as the players will demand it. Its a huge commitment even without the database issue its a pretty big job transferring over and bug testing and reconfiguring things. I have done this twice in the past 9 years from 1.4 to 1.9 and 1.9 to 2.3. I had a 2.6 test server up in 2009 everything was pretty much resolved and debugged - the only problem was the database which I couldn't convert to SQL with my mediocre delphi skills. The result was 3 months of wasted time and I gave up as I had to catch up at uni!

I understand wanting new server to open regularly, but at the same time its important to support the older ones with a more realistic chance of staying online.

RazzleDazzle

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
~{Aylesbury}~
Yeah for sure. And I am pretty sure most 2.3 servers would follow eventually as the players will demand it. Its a huge commitment even without the database issue its a pretty big job transferring over and bug testing and reconfiguring things. I have done this twice in the past 9 years from 1.4 to 1.9 and 1.9 to 2.3. I had a 2.6 test server up in 2009 everything was pretty much resolved and debugged - the only problem was the database which I couldn't convert to SQL with my mediocre delphi skills. The result was 3 months of wasted time and I gave up as I had to catch up at uni!

I understand wanting new server to open regularly, but at the same time its important to support the older ones with a more realistic chance of staying online.

Was there not talk not so long ago about Project69 closing ?

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
If LOMCN wanted to support the new files it might be worth helping users with the biggest barrier; online registration.

You could quite easily set-up a meta registration page where server admins just plug in their SQL server/account details for LOMCN to write to the account table, allowing a centralised registration page for people who can't afford or don't have the expertise to set it up themselves. You'd just have to amend your guide to tell them to set up a db account for use by LOMCN for account creation. You could even expand on the idea and host stats on the hub for the servers, showing player status/stats like a semi-armoury.

It's all very well telling people what to do but in order to inspire change you really need to isolate the reason people won't or can't change and aid the transition, a server banner doesn't really achieve this.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I support this simply because, after playing Heroes I doubt I'll ever go back to 2.3 lol.

Reactions: Tai

Snufkin

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 27, 2011
I like Ruby being close to the official mir and i like heroes for being mir 2 with all the goodness of mir 3. I will probably be trying heroes more soon when i have time.