basic community forums

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
does anyone know of any really basic community boards (forums) which will easily allow me to build inside an existing site template?

i have a website in html already built, basically i want to be able to easily wrap my html elements around it all, like making a custom template - although my template is generically built and not designed for any specific board.

it needs to be free.

i'm aware of phpbb, vbulletin, invision, however these all seem like you have to built your template around the board, rather than the board around your template.

expression engines forum plugin does exactly what i need, but legally it costs about $1000.

i only really need a page to view the lists of threads,
a page to read the thread itself and submit new posts.
a page to create new threads
registration and user login.

i don't need any advanced forum features on it.

any ideas guys?

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
In short I don't know but I have seen phpbb integrated into websites enough times. As in it doesn't look like you're leaving the website

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
If your host offers PHPBB and MySQL you could fairly easily get it to use your current CSS and continue with your site's theme.

However, have a look here, http://vanillaforums.org/ , they've been around a few years now and things have moved on since I first found them.
It's open source and might be what you're looking for.