Do people miss alphafrozen type servers? Fast paced PK and fairly quick lvling?

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
All im seeing these days is basic low rate euro servers with extra scripts and such... People seem to be stuck with them as nothing else is about? ^^

Alphafrozen style servers created fun times :P fast fights and potting skills o.O haven't seen a server like this for ages? FH/TH was good but not like the old days mir just doesn't seem as fun as it did back in 2003-2008, back then it was WeOwn Vs P69 - WeOwn being fast paced fun and p69 being long term stable grinding server.

I can imagine high rates aren't for everyone and some people hate them!

Last edited:

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Yes i miss them,

How-ever for the recent generation of Server owners, A euro clone takes 5minutes, and a server like Alpha takes 5 weeks.

No-one can be arsed to make a decent HR, as it takes a lot more effort, also the current files out have been tested and tested for ages so everyone knows every single bug/exploits, cheats will be rampant and everyone will be using them which isnt really gr8 for a PVP Server.

Just probarly wouldnt be worth the hassle you'd get "GM BAN CHEATS" GM - "i cant ban cheats, as 90% of my UC are using them...."

It's a pity ben/matt gave up on 3H/4H and gave it to the current Mongs, who have no idea.

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Yes i miss them,

How-ever for the recent generation of Server owners, A euro clone takes 5minutes, and a server like Alpha takes 5 weeks.

No-one can be arsed to make a decent HR, as it takes a lot more effort, also the current files out have been tested and tested for ages so everyone knows every single bug/exploits, cheats will be rampant and everyone will be using them which isnt really gr8 for a PVP Server.

Just probarly wouldnt be worth the hassle you'd get "GM BAN CHEATS" GM - "i cant ban cheats, as 90% of my UC are using them...."

It's a pity ben/matt gave up on 3H/4H and gave it to the current Mongs, who have no idea.

And that's exactly where I am. I have made a Very fun and interesting HR Server, I did this just for some fun. But I know it will b more hassle than its worth to open it to the public. Cheaters, moaners, DoSers. Whats the point.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
And that's exactly where I am. I have made a Very fun and interesting HR Server, I did this just for some fun. But I know it will b more hassle than its worth to open it to the public. Cheaters, moaners, DoSers. Whats the point.

Aye, unless you can secure it yourself (which takes alot of expertise) its just not worth the hassle,

It's a shame that people have to cheat/exploit on such a simple game really.....

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
Aye, unless you can secure it yourself (which takes alot of expertise) its just not worth the hassle,

It's a shame that people have to cheat/exploit on such a simple game really.....

That's just how some people play the game, they like to ruin it for us players that like to gain items etc the fair way. I don't currently play any server because they're all low rate like you said, i still pop on 3H every now and then, but the owners don't seem to give a monkeys about the people that are cheating.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
id make another server if i had another coder and maybe a 3rd person on the team, but no1s interested any more

got half way to making a new server before i quit, with some rly good ideas, but quite a few required some coding changes, and unfortunately matt wasnt about and I couldnt do it all by myself!

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
id make another server if i had another coder and maybe a 3rd person on the team, but no1s interested any more

got half way to making a new server before i quit, with some rly good ideas, but quite a few required some coding changes, and unfortunately matt wasnt about and I couldnt do it all by myself!
too bad i dont know how to code :(

Reactions: Shank

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008

Still around then ;) theres a gap in the market for a high rate ;P

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Still around then ;) theres a gap in the market for a high rate ;P
probably is but i dont have time to do anything on my own any more. i wouldnt mind being part of a team tho but like i said.. there isnt anyone about any more to form a team

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
, A euro clone takes 5minutes, and a server like Alpha takes 5 weeks.

I actually believe this to be the other way around...

Low rate euro clones need alot more testing to make sure it all fits together... Where (and this is only my opinion) a high rate would just take a set of files on from lomcn and increase the exp, spawns and stats.

Never played a high rate I don't think... Maybe DevilSoul when cripple patrol owned it, but that was more of a med rate I think.

Sam

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
It's just the levelling I don't like on mir anymore.

I don't mind a steady paced levelling server, but I hate grinding. I lose all interest when i spend 10min in a cave and see that my EXP has moved 1% and that's at a low level too.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham

Low rate euro clones need alot more testing to make sure it all fits together... Where (and this is only my opinion) a high rate would just take a set of files on from lomcn and increase the exp, spawns and stats.

Never played a high rate I don't think... Maybe DevilSoul when cripple patrol owned it, but that was more of a med rate I think.

Sam

Totally wrong.

All sets of files come with the Euro database/maps/drops , so theres 0 work to be done there, all the owner has to do is tweak it about abit to get the drop rate their looking for, and their done, i could put up a Euro clone in 6 hours.

a HR needs 100's of new maps/mobs/items/NPC's so theres a good 2-3 weeks their also theire is 10-20x more content to balance/test, all the files are programmed around being a LR Euro clone (2.3 especially) so the spells like curse/firewall ect are not a problem.

This based of using the files avilable for a none coder, obviously to get a Euro clone that ACTUALLY works is going to be hardwork as with the current files avilable theres at least 6-8 months of coding, but once you've done that coding its alot easier to make a LR as the template is all ready their.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004

Sam

Your wrong,

Take TGA for instance....i was on that team for a while and still count myself as a valued member of that team. We spent countless hours sorting out different types of methods and adding features that needed next to non coding (even tho we managed to get in a new interface and more slots).

We had a fair few considering the time we launched TGA and i believe TGAv2 has been in the making for a while now, i'm yet to jump back on the train but saying all it takes is increases exp , spawns and stats is stupid.

You should know better Samuel.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
Your wrong,

Take TGA for instance....i was on that team for a while and still count myself as a valued member of that team. We spent countless hours sorting out different types of methods and adding features that needed next to non coding (even tho we managed to get in a new interface and more slots).

We had a fair few considering the time we launched TGA and i believe TGAv2 has been in the making for a while now, i'm yet to jump back on the train but saying all it takes is increases exp , spawns and stats is stupid.

You should know better Samuel.

it depends, take chron for example we rebuilt majority of the world as there was no 16bit floors support from official for the majority of maps.

This required us to rebuild not just maps, but tile/object sets in order to create maps, creating new spawns for maps (as map layouts changed) rebuilding minimaps and re-linking an entire world.
and that's forgetting our other extensive systems build from scratch, like quests.

No server type is easier than another, it all hinges on how much effort the team put into said server.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008

Sam

You've really missed out on some amazing servers :l it shows by how your running Chronicle... its ran well regarding pics of updates... website etc but i feel it lacks fun gameplay wise and as you can tell from your server content wise compared to bens past servers... even bens first server was fun before he made it 2.3 OldSkool but he played private servers for years and knew the in's and out's and what made mir fun where as someone making a server whose only played low rates would be used to more long term set servers that are no fun. But you guys have revived mir and given people something to play which is great :)

I still have the WeOwn files :)

You've still got them? Or you on about basic AF Files :P

it depends, take chron for example we rebuilt majority of the world as there was no 16bit floors support from official for the majority of maps.

This required us to rebuild not just maps, but tile/object sets in order to create maps, creating new spawns for maps (as map layouts changed) rebuilding minimaps and re-linking an entire world.
and that's forgetting our other extensive systems build from scratch, like quests.

No server type is easier than another, it all hinges on how much effort the team put into said server.

They're on about creating a server your on adding/coding in custom 16bit maps? Low rates are easily made like someone said you could have a low rate up within 5-6 hours but a high rate needs loads of sets adding and loads other stuff, take chron for example people are level 46 max still in low level kit which is standard in a euro databse.

Last edited:

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
They're on about creating a server your on adding/coding in custom 16bit maps? Low rates are easily made like someone said you could have a low rate up within 5-6 hours but a high rate needs loads of sets adding and loads other stuff, take chron for example people are level 46 max still in low level kit which is standard in a euro databse.

Your missing the point in what makes a server, its the little things not how fast you mash rehashed content together.

You could throw hundreds of items together for a HR in very little time, you can bulk edit all mob/item stats/levels in SQL.

Spawn rates matter less, as if people are leveling slightly too fast, it doesn't matter in comparison to a low rate, same deal with drops,if something good drops so what? you'll be 10 levels higher in a day and new kit available so it doesn't matter as much.

You could download a 100 new maps from a korean site and just link them to a teleport npc (like most HR's do).

there and ups and downs to each type, people think HR is more fun because its different to how they originally played the game, also the game progress's much faster which appeals more to the casual gamers of this age. (its the same deal with many mmos, they have been dumbed down to try appeal more to the casual gamer)

If we have learned anything in the past 3-4months it is the majority of the mir community wants low rate (its what they have fond memory's of) but its to be expected that the effort/time they had 10+ years ago is much lower today and they dwindle off once their nostalgia has been satisfied.

That said you may be able make a low rate in 5-6 hours but it will be ****, just as u could make a high rate in 5-6 hours and it would be ****.

People think they can just download a set of euro files and addding them to a server and this is low rate. this isnt a low rate
it would be no different from someone taking the frozen files adding them to a server and calling it a high rate.

its all about the effort.

Last edited:

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK

Sam
No offensee sam but if you've never created a high rate, and never played one, how can you compare a low rate to a high rate??? What are you basing your opinions on exactly, what people say on forums? lol.

In terms of development a low rate is SO MUCH easier to make, as like someones mentioned on this thread, you already have a WORKING and proven base in terms of what stats you should have at x level.

When your level 1000 on a high rate, what do you go by in how powerful someone should be etc?

Drop rates are also completely different, get it wrong and you got people level 200 with lvl 50 items, get it wrong and nothing is rare, its very difficult.

lol what has creating new maps got to do with high vs low rate?? you need new maps on ANY rate if the server is to be succesful. the spawns, layout etc will be the same regardless...

You've really missed out on some amazing servers :l it shows by how your running Chronicle... its ran well regarding pics of updates... website etc but i feel it lacks fun gameplay wise and as you can tell from your server content wise compared to bens past servers... even bens first server was fun before he made it 2.3 OldSkool but he played private servers for years and knew the in's and out's and what made mir fun where as someone making a server whose only played low rates would be used to more long term set servers that are no fun. But you guys have revived mir and given people something to play which is great :).
I actually offered my help to bring in some new ideas / features etc but no1 wants me :( bit of a shame rly I got some rly good ideas that could make mir last for a long time. Whenever I've planned a new server I've always tried to bring new features/designs that make players constantly keep playing and always have something to do.

Like on 4heros i think it was with that huge upgrade system with the stars, every day you'd have something to do... and at the end of it you'd be just a little bit stronger. as the weeks and months went by you felt like you were really acomplishing something which made people keep playing. Low rates dont have that (altho they can but its just more drawn out) which is why most of them get boring and die. Only way a low rate can survive is with a very good community that promotes big fights and stuff, that way people stay for the pvp, not the pve

btw dont get me wrong, i think what chronicles has done is great, from the screenshots and stuff it looks visually amazing and certainly makes you wanan get back into mir! but from what I read the ingame stuff is lacking a bit... I think thats where you need a more experienced person on your team

Last edited: