ActiveNot active
Storage mechFile basedMSSQLFile basedFile based
Known issues
-Unstable with high user count.
-PVP bug (Shift + Run).
-32-bit graphical engine bugs.
-Number of high risk security floors.
-Hacks/cheat engines available.
-Unstable with high user count (rumored, forever seemed fine).
-Closed source.
-Sticky bug (Stuck on spot, can't move, can't tt, can't do anything).
-Unstable.
-Untested, potential bugs/exploits.
-PVP Bug(Shift + Run)
-Packet loss.
-Corrupt image reading (makes client flash)
-Cheats/Hacks available.
-Incomplete systems.

Supported - Known feature and working in comparison to other sets of files.
Not Supported - Known feature and not working/not planning on being supported.
Incomplete - In progress, being worked on.

Threw together a comparison table of different files available/being used.

The comparison is actually really interesting... I had always thought Ruby to be the best contender out there for server owners, but after digging around and pulling this table together, I think I am in favor of Heroes.

Worth mentioning that this is a point in time, many of the above is likely to change.

Hope people find this semi helpful.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Karl and Gezza

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
Re: Comparison of available files

The Acem2 files are not available to public though, to the state that you have them?

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk

Nice comparison list.

Also c# dose support higher resolution, guessing it's also 1024x768.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

The Acem2 files are not available to public though, to the state that you have them?

They are not available to the public no... I mainly included one because they are the set of files I am/have worked on and two to show that we haven't stood still/taken a step backwards in terms of development of files.

---------- Post Merged at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Nice comparison list.

Also c# dose support higher resolution, guessing it's also 1024x768.

Cheers, updated.

If anything is wrong then please state and I will update the main post.

Sam

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

Not wanting to come across biased for my own team (which i am) but I think this list seems a bit one sided.

It leans towards obvious custom features that wouldn't be available in the majority of files - especially depending on the path they've gone down, and the term "incomplete" is vague without context. Incomplete up to 1.4 standards? 2.3 standards? non-official shanda standards?

Just for updating purposes,

Mir3 Maps and Trustmerchant are both supported - with no known issues reported (previous reported issues have been fixed)

It also supports full Shanda (both Mir2 and Mir3) object sets and maps.

Every Official AI is complete up to euro standards.

Both 800x600 and 1024 x 768 resolutions are supported.

The files themselves should be very stable in terms of supporting user count. However without actually having 700+ people on a single c# server thats something we're never accurately know.

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle

I just don't think its fair compare the other sets of files to acem2 because they haven't been released and probably wont be for a long time.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

Not wanting to come across biased for my own team (which i am) but I think this list seems a bit one sided.

It leans towards obvious custom features that wouldn't be available in the majority of files - especially depending on the path they've gone down, and the term "incomplete" is vague without context. Incomplete up to 1.4 standards? 2.3 standards? non-official shanda standards?

Well, its a comparison? They are compared against each other... The incomplete status being compared against the last known latest state of a European server (not USA), I will update the main post with an explanation.

Just for updating purposes,

Mir3 Maps and Trustmerchant are both supported - with no known issues reported (previous reported issues have been fixed)

I have been told there is a trust merchant... I have also been told that you use a file based system... I can only guess, but I would assume that you store every trust merchant item in memory and dump this memory out to a file every x amount of minutes... Which will work, until you end up in a live server position where you have 1000's of items in a TM each taken a portion of memory, its fundamentally floored to begin with.

It also supports full Shanda (both Mir2 and Mir3) object sets and maps.

Updated.

Every Official AI is complete up to euro standards.

Updated

Both 800x600 and 1024 x 768 resolutions are supported.

Updated.

The files themselves should be very stable in terms of supporting user count. However without actually having 700+ people on a single c# server thats something we're never accurately know.

The closed beta server has been intermittently crashing with a low amount of users... Like I say this table is a point in time.

Updated main post.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I just don't think its fair compare the other sets of files to acem2 because they haven't been released and probably wont be for a long time.

Fair comment, removed.

Sam

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk

The closed c# server is custom and gone there own way so can't really include any bugs etc from that server. The original and up to date c# works fine at present.

Edit : But yeah there's never been any stress test so who knows how stable they are.

Last edited:

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003

i guess i'll reply:
you seem to have been rather biased to prove am2 is better, obviously you're unfamiliar with other sets so that's normal i guess.
- you highlighted every feature of am2, yet ignored almost all features other files have and am2 doesnt.
- you missed some of the supported/not supported bits (i know some of the stuff you have as not supported on c# is actualy there :p)
- some parts you mention like anti bot mining isnt really a valid point cause any mir file has a setup that can be tweaked to do it. just cause am2 has a totaly different way of mining doesnt mean it's anymore anti bot as a different set of files (most ppl will agree you ruined mining :p)
- heroes is technicaly 32bit, resolution on c# is red even tho it's same value
- the whole library support is sort of 'wrong': (you're making it look like am2 has more support by splitting shanda's mir2/3 images in 2 rows while keeping wemades in one row (and even then you're wrong cause c# can convert any image format lol)
- c# can do mir3 maps 'better' then am2 can and you know it :p, heroes is unstable on mir3 maps so not adviced to use them without fixing code?
- anti speed hack: again there's some designs on c# to reduce/prevent the effect
- stable user count: isnt arcadia running heroes? and that was 250-300 users aswell at peak right?
- development state: heroes is technicaly more in development state then ruby (ruby has lcd who basicaly is working on it bigtime but hasnt really released a patch in like a year?)
- doesnt heroes also have ms sql support (no clue tbh cant remember)
- ruby is 16/32 bit if you count current development
- official ai: that's a tricky one, technicaly i dont think any set has all the official ai's, each set has ai's the other ones dont have, admit c# has only the officials as far as i know, but still has them all upto like 2.3? (could be wrong)
- elemental stats on am2 are techincaly not elemental stats, each 'object' can have an element affinity, but that's not the element stat system mir (3) has, it's just a scissor/paper/stone type defense/attack bonus.

in the end i'm sure ppl familiar with heroes/ruby files can give lists of features either sets have and you didnt discuss.
still love that you at least tried to make a list (something i think lomcn should have sticky'd long time ago); would be nice if it was done correctly by someone with more experience on the other sets but still :p

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

The closed c# server is custom and gone there own way so can't really include any bugs etc from that server. The original and up to date c# works fine at present.

Edit : But yeah there's never been any stress test so who knows how stable they are.

They are also promoted as the "C# Beta Server" I wasn't aware that they had taken a branch of the code... I thought they had just applied a different style of game play to the existing set of binaries.

Sam

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

The closed beta server has been intermittently crashing with a low amount of users... Like I say this table is a point in time.

Crashing on this server is nothing to do with user count, simply some underlying bugs that are yet to be resolved. If you got 700+ people just running around i feel safe to say the server wouldn't have a problem coping with it.

So whilst i agree that stability of c# is not that great at the moment, this issue is covered within your "known issues" of "Unstable", rather than "User Count"

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

i guess i'll reply:
you seem to have been rather biased to prove am2 is better, obviously you're unfamiliar with other sets so that's normal i guess.
- you highlighted every feature of am2, yet ignored almost all features other files have and am2 doesnt.
Its a comparison of files... I can only include whats available?
- you missed some of the supported/not supported bits (i know some of the stuff you have as not supported on c# is actualy there :p)
I got my C# supported/Not supported list from you mostly lol. Feel free to list what I have missed out and I will update the thread.
- some parts you mention like anti bot mining isnt really a valid point cause any mir file has a setup that can be tweaked to do it. just cause am2 has a totaly different way of mining doesnt mean it's anymore anti bot as a different set of files (most ppl will agree you ruined mining :p)
I didn't say "Ace Anti bot"... Bot mining has been an issue in Mir from the beginning, what ever solution is used... Anti bot, still means anti bot, your argument is invalid...
- heroes is technicaly 32bit, resolution on c# is red even tho it's same value
32-bit support is bugged and freezes the client, the default known working state is 16-bit.
- the whole library support is sort of 'wrong': (you're making it look like am2 has more support by splitting shanda's mir2/3 images in 2 rows while keeping wemades in one row (and even then you're wrong cause c# can convert any image format lol)
Wils, versus wzl and miz... Its not my fault that Shanda decided to go with two different library types, you appear to be trying to attack every detail of the comparison...
- c# can do mir3 maps 'better' then am2 can and you know it :p, heroes is unstable on mir3 maps so not adviced to use them without fixing code?
This has been updated... AM2 uses your Mir3 Map support so if it is "better" is down to you good sir.
- anti speed hack: again there's some designs on c# to reduce/prevent the effect
Awesome, please provide some details.
- stable user count: isnt arcadia running heroes? and that was 250-300 users aswell at peak right?
Arcadia had major issues at the start due to instability of the files... Andy has a custom set which he has done a lot of work to rectify these issues.
- development state: heroes is technicaly more in development state then ruby (ruby has lcd who basicaly is working on it bigtime but hasnt really released a patch in like a year?)
Heroes has no one major contributor to the open source set of code, instead it has a handful of closed sources that are not aimed at being released, lcd has 1 set of files which he has contributed toward for a number of years and has come away from the C# project to continue to work on them.
- doesnt heroes also have ms sql support (no clue tbh cant remember)
No
- ruby is 16/32 bit if you count current development
It is a point in time, this is not complete and/or released.
- official ai: that's a tricky one, technicaly i dont think any set has all the official ai's, each set has ai's the other ones dont have, admit c# has only the officials as far as i know, but still has them all upto like 2.3? (could be wrong)
Best likeness then?
- elemental stats on am2 are techincaly not elemental stats, each 'object' can have an element affinity, but that's not the element stat system mir (3) has, it's just a scissor/paper/stone type defense/attack bonus.
The same as Heroes then?

in the end i'm sure ppl familiar with heroes/ruby files can give lists of features either sets have and you didnt discuss.
still love that you at least tried to make a list (something i think lomcn should have sticky'd long time ago); would be nice if it was done correctly by someone with more experience on the other sets but still :p

Feel free to inform us, oh wise and wisdomful td, of all of the aspects of these files that I naively neglected.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Crashing on this server is nothing to do with user count, simply some underlying bugs that are yet to be resolved. If you got 700+ people just running around i feel safe to say the server wouldn't have a problem coping with it.

So whilst i agree that stability of c# is not that great at the moment, this issue is covered within your "known issues" of "Unstable", rather than "User Count"

Updated...

I do feel people have completely misinterpreted the point of this post and if anyone but myself posted this it would have had a different outcome lol...

Sam

Reactions: DeadGirl

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004

Feel free to inform us, oh wise and wisdomful td, of all of the aspects of these files that I naively neglected.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Updated...

I do feel people have completely misinterpreted the point of this post and if anyone but myself posted this it would have had a different outcome lol...

Sam

I think its just been misinterpreted because it reads as though you are saying look how incomplete all other sources are in comparison to yours.

Well I've had well over 50k items in the trust merchant on the C# files and never had any issues. Just for my interest, how many items are currently in your trust merchant?

Dk

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

I think its just been misinterpreted because it reads as though you are saying look how incomplete all other sources are in comparison to yours.

Well I've had well over 50k items in the trust merchant on the C# files and never had any issues. Just for my interest, how many items are currently in your trust merchant?

Dk

The AM2 Engine has been removed so the "my database is bigger than your database" is pointless... I didn't say that the trust merchant wouldn't store items... I said in a live server it is fundamentally floored... Some thoughts to consider (and please take this as friendly advice).

With the assumption that you store transactions in memory and purge them to a file every 5 minutes (this may not be the case, I don't see how you would do async updates to a file based system though):

- 50k items (Chron has a record count of 54k) would equate to 50k individual memory allocations, being interacted with by potentially 50-100 users simultaneously.
- The initial load up time would read the file line by line and add each item to an array/object, additional start up costs.
- Your server purges to the trust merchant file, in 4 minutes 200 transactions are made... The server crashes before the next purge, you have lost 4 minutes of transactions... This seems harmless as the people who bought/sold would also be reverted... What if someone logs and buys one of the items before the original person did before the crash?

Just thoughts.

Sam

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton

Whilst these are all very valid points and opinions on which set of files has more / is better to use...

In reality it means very little. The best server creator can create an amazing/fun to play server on a bad set of files. Saying that, a decent set of files that are customizable allows the server owner to do more, create more and new fresh things -

but the point I'm trying to make is a good set of files cannot carry a bad server creator, but a good server creator can carry a bad set of files. I hope everyone realises this.

Reactions: ChaseyLane

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK

Assassin is supported on C# files. All animations work fine for weapons and armors. There are just some unfinished spells as with all classes.

From the replies I bet Sam wishes he never started this thread -.-

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

Assassin is supported on C# files. All animations work fine for weapons and armors. There are just some unfinished spells as with all classes.

From the replies I bet Sam wishes he never started this thread -.-

I have made a note to create a new account when I wish to participate in contributing to the community -.- :P.

Sam

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk

It's a handy thread and should be stickied and kept up to date, maybe you could also add the original am2 files also which are available on here and have yours next to it showing how far your files have progressed :) but i see you have removed that now lol >.<

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

It's a handy thread and should be stickied and kept up to date, maybe you could also add the original am2 files also which are available on here and have yours next to it showing how far your files have progressed :) but i see you have removed that now lol >.<

Good shout... The Apple ones?

Edit: Done.

Sam

Last edited: