Comparison of available files 2014

smoochy boys on tour

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Re: Comparison of available files

Updated Heroes to 24-bit... It is the 32-bit support that is bugged.

If anyone notices any features/details that are missing please post and I will update the main thread.

Sam

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005

- 50k items (Chron has a record count of 54k) would equate to 50k individual memory allocations, being interacted with by potentially 50-100 users simultaneously.
- The initial load up time would read the file line by line and add each item to an array/object, additional start up costs.
- Your server purges to the trust merchant file, in 4 minutes 200 transactions are made... The server crashes before the next purge, you have lost 4 minutes of transactions... This seems harmless as the people who bought/sold would also be reverted... What if someone logs and buys one of the items before the original person did before the crash?

Just thoughts.

Sam

Question

What happens when you have more than 65535 items?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011

Yes, Applem2 supports the quest system.

Updated, I wasn't sure if the Quest system in the Apple files was usable... I certainly couldn't get to grips with it, so recoded for Ace.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Question

What happens when you have more than 65535 items?

Depends on whether or not your array of items is bound to the size of an unsigned integer... I think Delphi arrays by default are maxed at the size of an unsigned Long (I could be completely wrong, going off something I read years ago)...

I guess your question is what happens when the maximum size is reached, I can only guess, but I would assume that if a check wasn't in place to stop anymore being added (one in one out) then you would end up with some out of memory errors/potential corruption of data.

Sam

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk

Updated, I wasn't sure if the Quest system in the Apple files was usable... I certainly couldn't get to grips with it, so recoded for Ace.

Sam
Yeah it works i managed to semi work it out, just couldn't get a quest icon above a npc.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire

Yeah it works i managed to semi work it out, just couldn't get a quest icon above a npc.

Yeah it was annoying originally I got the icon above NPC's head fine but getting it to show the other ones (quest started, quest complete and an actual quest) when I was doing it, I did the trial and error tact.

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Depends on whether or not your array of items is bound to the size of an unsigned integer... I think Delphi arrays by default are maxed at the size of an unsigned Long (I could be completely wrong, going off something I read years ago)...

I guess your question is what happens when the maximum size is reached, I can only guess, but I would assume that if a check wasn't in place to stop anymore being added (one in one out) then you would end up with some out of memory errors/potential corruption of data.

Sam

I only ask because it seemed the item number is sent from client to server via a word, which has a maximum value of 65535.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Decent Comparison + Rep.

Instead of complaining about the list, why not provide constructive feedback where info may be wrong or where other features can be added?

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Not entirely sure since it has been a long time since looking at the files but didn't AppleM2 have all NPC commands as well as the new ones?

Nah we ported many of these over from Heroes, one of the first jobs we did.

Sam

WizzBang

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2005
A few comments specific to Ruby:

Hero pets: Techincally yes Ruby has them, but the AI isn't great and they are the most bugged part of the Ruby files.

Fishing: Again, Ruby technically has fishing but it's nothing like the fishing system on Gamepot USA Mir and is basically a rudimentary "drop" type system.

Auto pots: Ruby has autopot on hero pets, but not on char

Master/Slave system: Although the interface elements are there in Ruby they don't actually do anything (there's absolutely no code behind the interface so in reality the master/slave [actually called mentor system] doesn't work at all).

Marriage/Friend/Mail systems: All bugged to some degree or another

Anti-speed hack: Ruby does have some anti-speed hack system

Missing from the list: Rental/lending system and shared storage. Also things like the "metal box" thing from premium dungeon which gives you extra bag slots.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
So basically all this post does is show that theres no decent files available to the public, so unless your a coder that wants to develop files this means nothing.

It really is a shame that theres no good files any more, its the main reason mir's died tbh.

Kinda funny as it coulda all been avoided if TD just released his source for people to carry on his work, just think where the files could be today. But then again you cant blame it all on TD... plenty of other promised files that could revive mir (acem2) but haven't because people saw the $$$

I thought there was some hope for the c# but it seems thats going down the same path now of private teams working on it, which is a real shame as your just dividing the resources. Dont see why people dont want to get the files to a good standard, then let teams branch off with their own ideas. c# is defo the way to go tho, delphi is the past!

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
For what its worth. I think its a nice list.

Good news for ruby fans when I do eventually do the next release alot of known issues will be fixed and will also be 16bit with latest korean wil format & maps

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
For what its worth. I think its a nice list.

Good news for ruby fans when I do eventually do the next release alot of known issues will be fixed and will also be 16bit with latest korean wil format & maps

****ing good news. :D

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
So basically all this post does is show that theres no decent files available to the public, so unless your a coder that wants to develop files this means nothing.

It really is a shame that theres no good files any more, its the main reason mir's died tbh.

Kinda funny as it coulda all been avoided if TD just released his source for people to carry on his work, just think where the files could be today. But then again you cant blame it all on TD... plenty of other promised files that could revive mir (acem2) but haven't because people saw the $$$

I thought there was some hope for the c# but it seems thats going down the same path now of private teams working on it, which is a real shame as your just dividing the resources. Dont see why people dont want to get the files to a good standard, then let teams branch off with their own ideas. c# is defo the way to go tho, delphi is the past!

The remark toward TDs files could be said for the 4Heroes code and AceM2 as well though couldn't it? I mean your servers were pretty advanced? More so than TD's, Heroes etc?

I do agree that it is a shame that the community couldn't pull together to work on a single set of files, but without a single point of entry or a buddy delivery system (some sort of review system) I can't see it working... A review system would also push people to branch the code as everyone will want to add their own free styled bits of code...

EDIT: I do feel server development has ended up a little stagnant recently, it feels there has been an over reliance on code (I know I am one to talk).

Sam

Last edited:

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Hasn't TD released his 2.3 source to judas priest/andreas ? gawd knows why to just him though >.<

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
the C# files no matter what state they are in feel better than any other files i have played on. so smooth its like a whole new game.

TravisW

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
Hasn't TD released his 2.3 source to judas priest/andreas ? gawd knows why to just him though >.<
Yeah and look at that awesome server he has out.... (sarcasm)
He (andreas) boasted in another thread about all the different sources/files he has, a ****load of good he has done with them lol.
Ahhhh, community.