Comparison of available files 2014

smoochy boys on tour

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
The remark toward TDs files could be said for the 4Heroes code and AceM2 as well though couldn't it? I mean your servers were pretty advanced? More so than TD's, Heroes etc?

I do agree that it is a shame that the community couldn't pull together to work on a single set of files, but without a single point of entry or a buddy delivery system (some sort of review system) I can't see it working... A review system would also push people to branch the code as everyone will want to add their own free styled bits of code...

EDIT: I do feel server development has ended up a little stagnant recently, it feels there has been an over reliance on code (I know I am one to talk).

Sam
Ye maybe, its hard to say as i perssonally still think our files are the best in terms of customization and stuff, they just lack visual things like 32bit and all the "bs" like heroes/relationship/master mentor/fishing/mounts (well we had tigers just didnt use em)... basically all the stuff we deemed useless and not worth the time, besides maybe the 32bit and mir3 map support

I was all for releasing our files, but I would only have done it if the updates would continue... That wouldnt of happened and instead people woulda just used the source to hack/ruin the server that is still online (even tho I dont have anything to do with it). Even if 3heros wasnt online, the release would be pointless w/o people willing to carry on the development.

At the time TDs files went south tho, there was a lot of people willing to work on them, as they were the only files about.. these days u got a choice of lots of diff sources...

the C# files no matter what state they are in feel better than any other files i have played on. so smooth its like a whole new game.
There is good reason to that tho... it has a lot less features and **** running in the background to hog resources compared to other files.
Also, any set of files running on a local machine with 1 user and low respawns/db etc etc will feel smooth.

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
There is good reason to that tho... it has a lot less features and **** running in the background to hog resources compared to other files.
Also, any set of files running on a local machine with 1 user and low respawns/db etc etc will feel smooth.

have you even played jamie's server which was online in beta for 3 months?

this files run soo smooth that they are really another thing.

wasting time on the old files has no reason at all.

even if there are without features as you say i can personally say that nothing was missing for me in the 3 months i played with all the others bug testing. actually they seemed great and the missing features weren't that important to spoil game play.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
the features that people think are important/good are just pointless and crap apart from heroes (clones that can use skills).

fishing, mining, refining, horses etc im sure no1 would miss any of them. i play the game to run around killing stuff not fanny about doing chores. mining is useful for making some gold for pots and that is it.

if C# was released with some new skills and a few 40+ hunting areas it would make for a much better server than any i have played in a long time.

the other C# files that DK is working on brings something new to the game with one playable class customisable to the high heavens.

all people seem to do with server files is increase the levels and stats and then add a couple of hunting grounds and thats it.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
theres no shift pvp bug on Heroes.

That on Acem2 mate.

Sure? Checked with Milo also, I am sure we had the same issue when we was working on the initial release of Heroes.

What are you basing this on? Arcadia can't really be considered "Heroes" anymore as it is far more advanced than the open source.

Sam

Reactions: Scorpian

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Can i add to this list that "Anti speed hack" is complete as far as C# goes - myself and DK have both tested this and the server doesn't allow you to run any faster (the client becomes pretty much unresponsive as soon as you try to increase your speed).

I've not tested bag weight or light hack.

And also in my opinion C# has "Most NPC Commands" - most that are useful and used in every day NPCs anyway. Can't really think of any main npc commands that are missing anymore. I've looked through TD's NPC list and C# has most of the useful ones of those, and quite a few more advanced ones that don't feature in any other set of files.

http://www.mirfiles.co.uk/mir2/TD npc commands.html

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Can i add to this list that "Anti speed hack" is complete as far as C# goes - myself and DK have both tested this and the server doesn't allow you to run any faster (the client becomes pretty much unresponsive as soon as you try to increase your speed).

I've not tested bag weight or light hack.

And also in my opinion C# has "Most NPC Commands" - most that are useful and used in every day NPCs anyway. Can't really think of any main npc commands that are missing anymore. I've looked through TD's NPC list and C# has most of the useful ones of those, and quite a few more advanced ones that don't feature in any other set of files.

http://www.mirfiles.co.uk/mir2/TD npc commands.html

If its the client that is dealing with any speedhacks then it is most defiantly "hackable" unless the server recognizes a change in expected speed and actions based on this then people will be able to increase the speed of the client.

You have to assume that people will have access to the code (although they actually do) of the client and can modify anything that pleases them.

Bag weight might be in C# actually... I had a conversation with Jamie a while ago about the overweight bag. Similar to my statement above, the server needs to keep track of your bags weight and tell the client its overweight, not the other way around.

Light hack is a difficult one I must admit I don't have a real solution to this as of yet, would be interested to see/hear potential solutions.

I really want to break down the comparison, its very high level at the moment, would be great to get a list of ai's, skills and npc commands for each set for a better comparison.

Sam

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Time between coord movements is checked server side i believe. We tested this with cheat engine, and although your character animations still speed up on the client you never actually move any quicker.

I admit I haven't modified the client source to remove it's time checks and see if that then allows me to - however i don't expect it would with the server checks in place.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Time between coord movements is checked server side i believe. We tested this with cheat engine, and although your character animations still speed up on the client you never actually move any quicker.

I admit I haven't modified the client source to remove it's time checks and see if that then allows me to - however i don't expect it would with the server checks in place.

Awesome... I'll update the main thread...

Interested in knowing more about the timer that the C# files use, maybe we can take this to another conversation though.

Sam

Shane/Banshee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 25, 2013
Light hacks were possible I think on c# dont think jamie felt it was worth doing as he was going to enable a print screen function of players game and send it to the server host.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Awesome... I'll update the main thread...

Interested in knowing more about the timer that the C# files use, maybe we can take this to another conversation though.

Sam

It looks quite straight forward from what i've looked at. Naturally you can only move to a new coord every 500ms (2 coords for running but over the same time). The server simply stores the time of your last move, and checks it against the server current clock - if its less than 500ms difference then it doesn't move you.

On the client this just comes out and lots of stuttering, as if you had terrible lag.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
It looks quite straight forward from what i've looked at. Naturally you can only move to a new coord every 500ms (2 coords for running but over the same time). The server simply stores the time of your last move, and checks it against the server current clock - if its less than 500ms difference then it doesn't move you.

On the client this just comes out and lots of stuttering, as if you had terrible lag.

I'd be interested to see this on a live server, I managed to get something similar working on AM2 and it worked fine for me, however, I found that different versions of windows/graphics cards etc processed the images faster/slower therefore giving some unusual stats.

I have been told that C# has a different system for deciding when a new run message is required though.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Light hacks were possible I think on c# dont think jamie felt it was worth doing as he was going to enable a print screen function of players game and send it to the server host.

Would be nice to automate it some how, without any manual interaction (I end up spending more time searching/following potential hackers than I do coding at the moment).

Light hack is a tough one... There is a number of things you could do, but if you go under the assumption that the hacker has access to everything in your client... Then its pretty impossible to stop... Same goes for screenshotting a client if a hacker wanted to, they could just turn this off (although this would indicate that they have modified their client in someway).

Sam

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
One question Far.

All these changes/fixes/updates that your mentioning in regards to the NPC commands / anti speed hack etc... are these things are are/will be included in the SVN / public release?

I thought the point of this thread was to help users decide wot files to use... if the above is only on the private source that you/DK are working on, then it doesn't really have any place in this thread.. much like Chronicles files as they are private and not publicly available which is why they was removed from the thread and applem2 replaced it.

Reactions: Samuel

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
One question Far.

All these changes/fixes/updates that your mentioning in regards to the NPC commands / anti speed hack etc... are these things are are/will be included in the SVN / public release?

I thought the point of this thread was to help users decide wot files to use... if the above is only on the private source that you/DK are working on, then it doesn't really have any place in this thread.. much like Chronicles files as they are private and not publicly available which is why they was removed from the thread and applem2 replaced it.

for once you're a bit off :p
he didnt mention changes to the files.
- in his eyes the chronicles files have all the npc commands any generic mir server uses, thus it's complete :p (doesnt even have enough commands to make a euro clone but lets ignore that :p)
- also c# always had the server side checks on speed.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
for once you're a bit off :p
he didnt mention changes to the files.
- in his eyes the chronicles files have all the npc commands any generic mir server uses, thus it's complete :p (doesnt even have enough commands to make a euro clone but lets ignore that :p)
- also c# always had the server side checks on speed.

I think you misunderstood and took it as an opportunity to subtly attack me (again)...

Bon is asking if the changes are going to be released to the public... If not, they don't belong on this thread as much as my changes to AM2.

Sam

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I'd be interested to see this on a live server, I managed to get something similar working on AM2 and it worked fine for me, however, I found that different versions of windows/graphics cards etc processed the images faster/slower therefore giving some unusual stats.

I have been told that C# has a different system for deciding when a new run message is required though.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Would be nice to automate it some how, without any manual interaction (I end up spending more time searching/following potential hackers than I do coding at the moment).

Light hack is a tough one... There is a number of things you could do, but if you go under the assumption that the hacker has access to everything in your client... Then its pretty impossible to stop... Same goes for screenshotting a client if a hacker wanted to, they could just turn this off (although this would indicate that they have modified their client in someway).

Sam

Nobody has access to your clients code though do they?

With regards to the Anti light hack I can only see one of 2 ways.
1) The server checks and logs people gaining exp whilst no light is emitted. (Obviously not proof but it's a start)
2) The client checks the running memory of the client where the cheat is made. You would need access to the cheat for 100% efficiency. Also, the client would have to return the data to the server which again could be modified. It's hard to figure all this out though if you don't have access to the actual source, which in your case Sam, is good news.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
One question Far.

both of these features ive mentioned are already in the public svn.

as TD says "in my eyes" the npc command list is complete - i see nothing which is a required command that i haven't already added. if you know of any then please suggest them in the c# section.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Nobody has access to your clients code though do they?

With regards to the Anti light hack I can only see one of 2 ways.
1) The server checks and logs people gaining exp whilst no light is emitted. (Obviously not proof but it's a start)
2) The client checks the running memory of the client where the cheat is made. You would need access to the cheat for 100% efficiency. Also, the client would have to return the data to the server which again could be modified. It's hard to figure all this out though if you don't have access to the actual source, which in your case Sam, is good news.

Why would anyone need access to my clients code?

1) Hard one to filter out I guess, there are a number of scenarios where people might be gaining exp whilst candle is off and these would be used as an excuse.

2) Client returning anything would be pointless as the hacker could disable the returning code... You could return the light variables to the server and confirm these are what you expect them to be, however this would stop the noob cheaters (memory edits) but there are other ways.

Sam

---------- Post Merged at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:02 PM ----------

both of these features ive mentioned are already in the public svn.

as TD says "in my eyes" the npc command list is complete - i see nothing which is a required command that i haven't already added. if you know of any then please suggest them in the c# section.

This is where a further break down of the commands would be better... At the moment the list is just a comparison against each other.

Sam

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
sorry sam i meant to say c# files not chronicles (both start with c so i mis typed :p)

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Why would anyone need access to my clients code?

I didn't say you would need access. I assumed above that you said they already did.

2) Client returning anything would be pointless as the hacker could disable the returning code... You could return the light variables to the server and confirm these are what you expect them to be, however this would stop the noob cheaters (memory edits) but there are other ways.
I already stated that the data send back could be modified. It would be much harder however, to create the cheat (easily done though an older source code) AND also find out how to modify the data send back (which nobody can read the source to).

I would hardly class memory edits as noob cheating. You could rip any server apart purely by reading and writing process memory.