LOMCN gets ze new look

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
This is possible yes. I will bear it in mind

Huh? There's just as much black/dark grey as there is blue? edit: see the second screenshot here...

---------- Post Merged at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:10 PM ----------

@ Those not liking the blue, is this any better for you? It was my original choice but then the blue really grew on me.

hXQTrbU.png

Tai, biggest problem for me is the Blue text... biggest eye fker going, maybe a darker blue?

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tai, biggest problem for me is the Blue text... biggest eye fker going, maybe a darker blue?

Funny it actually took me a while to figure out what blue text you were on about. It's perfectly legible on the few devices I browse LOMCN on.

Tai if it's easy enough why not offer some colour options then? Including that one you have there

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
Funny it actually took me a while to figure out what blue text you were on about. It's perfectly legible on the few devices I browse LOMCN on.

Tai if it's easy enough why not offer some colour options then? Including that one you have there

Orange please.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Initially I thought this was a good design, given it's simplicity and modern look. However, nowadays the idea of making websites SIMPLE and MODERN is to cater for the fact you'd be using a responsive CSS.

This is not the case, infact it's terrible....why would you want to use a simple design when it simply doesnt scale to fit? (I know you use the Mobile Plugin but thats not the point lol)

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
That much better tbh, the current blue is a tad too bright for liking (referring to Tai post, didn't want to quote it.)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Initially I thought this was a good design, given it's simplicity and modern look. However, nowadays the idea of making websites SIMPLE and MODERN is to cater for the fact you'd be using a responsive CSS.

This is not the case, infact it's terrible....why would you want to use a simple design when it simply doesnt scale to fit? (I know you use the Mobile Plugin but thats not the point lol)

It's fairly old software dude, there are restrictions. I'm sure vB5 is more mobile friendly.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Hi all,

As you've probably noticed, the forum has had a bit of a makeover (it's been a few years since the last one)!

Note that you can still change back to the other style if you wish, there is an option in your user settings.
Goto 'General Settings' and scroll to the bottom, there is a drop down list of forum skins.

:k

is there a way to change the shade/colour of read and not read threads? they are so close its hard to tell what you have and havent read.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
is there a way to change the shade/colour of read and not read threads? they are so close its hard to tell what you have and havent read.

Unread threads are just bolded, same as ever. They are the same colour

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Unread threads are just bolded, same as ever. They are the same colour

maybe its the colour, but they just seem hard to tell the difference at first. i have gotten use to it though :)

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Ok I know this is a little late but I've only just switched to the new interface. I have a few issues that i'd like to address as I've thoroughly inspected the forum :P Some may just be little picky things and others my just be my own opinion, everyone has their own opinion but please no flaming :D

1. Downloads Section
- Its missing a lot of mir 3 stuff from the downloads section, I don't know if this is just because nobody is that keen on mir 3 and that it hasn't been added yet, I would just like to clarify. Is this new 'download' section a replacement for mirfiles?
- Is it possible ot add a rating (like) system to the downloads so that the 'highly rated' downloads can be identified.

2. What's New? -> New Events
- Will this be available to users? Was thinking it would be a good way to advertise server openings or special events (with maybe an approval moderator). This will be tied in with the 'calender feature' by slowing events like they do the birthdays if it doesn't currently already.

3. HomePage
- There are lots of broken images on the homepage (little icons for things) maybe remove them.
- The emotes assigned to posts are displaced (slightly down from the position they should be).
- The buttons are displaced or broken (maybe the image file).
- I dislike the flow of text on each post displayed due to the profile picture making it start indented.

4. Community - Groups
- I feel the groups section needs to be promoted more, it's a good system for communication in small projects or even servers.
- There needs to be some additional categories (e.g. 'Server Group', 'OffTopic Group', 'Development Group' etc).
- I didn't see there was any way to manage the permission in groups (e.g. assigning more admins). Only option I see in regards to this was transferring the ownership of a group to another user.

5. Overall Display
- I dislike the footer bar it's too big and bulky and has no need to take up so much space.
- The navigation bar sometimes fills up with the blue colour while other times there will be white space in between. I don't like the blue fill and if possibly would prefer it to be fixed where this happens.
- The page numbering is a little jagged with the 'first' and '<' being slightly displaced.
- The 'like this post' button has a grey box fill which clashes with the background (would prefer it removed).
- When you like a post there is another box shown below your 'like' for some unknown reason.
- The expand and unexpand option for the 'post thanks/likes' doesn't contrast well and would benefit from having a blue cross and circle to make it stand out more.
- The 'custom title' below user names needs to be placed a little higher as there is a lot of spaces unused and it sometimes clashes with the forum set title below. Could possibly make it bigger too.
- I'd prefer the reputation squares to be slightly bigger to fill in the white space between the title and image. I don't like the new images used for the reputation display but it may grow on me ^.^

Images to follow:

View attachment 15072
----------------------------------------------------
View attachment 15071
View attachment 15073
View attachment 15074
View attachment 15075

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
See my replies in red

1. Downloads Section
- Its missing a lot of mir 3 stuff from the downloads section, I don't know if this is just because nobody is that keen on mir 3 and that it hasn't been added yet, I would just like to clarify. Is this new 'download' section a replacement for mirfiles?
It isn't new. It has been there for 2years+. It isn't a replacement for mirfiles, it's a better way of displaying/organising downloads (many of the links link back to mirfiles anyway). Plus anyone can add to it, they just don't. It is not down to staff to do this. Help eachother..
- Is it possible ot add a rating (like) system to the downloads so that the 'highly rated' downloads can be identified.
No

2. What's New? -> New Events
- Will this be available to users? Was thinking it would be a good way to advertise server openings or special events (with maybe an approval moderator). This will be tied in with the 'calender feature' by slowing events like they do the birthdays if it doesn't currently already.
This isn't a supported feature

3. HomePage
- There are lots of broken images on the homepage (little icons for things) maybe remove them.
- The emotes assigned to posts are displaced (slightly down from the position they should be).
- The buttons are displaced or broken (maybe the image file).
- I dislike the flow of text on each post displayed due to the profile picture making it start indented.
I know about this one. The skin is not optimized to work with the homepage plugin we have. Not sure what to do about it yet.

4. Community - Groups
- I feel the groups section needs to be promoted more, it's a good system for communication in small projects or even servers.
- There needs to be some additional categories (e.g. 'Server Group', 'OffTopic Group', 'Development Group' etc).
- I didn't see there was any way to manage the permission in groups (e.g. assigning more admins). Only option I see in regards to this was transferring the ownership of a group to another user.
Personally never seen the point in the Groups. Isn't that what the different forum sections are for?

5. Overall Display
- I dislike the footer bar it's too big and bulky and has no need to take up so much space.
It actually holds containers for text, adverts, whatever else. So in the future it should come in handy and won't look like a waste of space like it does now.
- The navigation bar sometimes fills up with the blue colour while other times there will be white space in between. I don't like the blue fill and if possibly would prefer it to be fixed where this happens.
This happens when there is no submenu bar to display, i.e. downloads page
- The page numbering is a little jagged with the 'first' and '<' being slightly displaced.
Browser issue. IE?
- The 'like this post' button has a grey box fill which clashes with the background (would prefer it removed).
Over all I think the button is clearly viewable.
- When you like a post there is another box shown below your 'like' for some unknown reason.
When you refresh the page the second bar/box disappears so I don't think it's an issue. Furthermore I didn't code the plugin.
- The expand and unexpand option for the 'post thanks/likes' doesn't contrast well and would benefit from having a blue cross and circle to make it stand out more.
Agreed, I have changed the colour now it is more visible.
- The 'custom title' below user names needs to be placed a little higher as there is a lot of spaces unused and it sometimes clashes with the forum set title below. Could possibly make it bigger too.
I've added a space between the usertitle and rank image - is that better?
- I'd prefer the reputation squares to be slightly bigger to fill in the white space between the title and image. I don't like the new images used for the reputation display but it may grow on me ^.^
Finding a way to improve the rep system is an ongoing thing.

Reactions: TheDayIDie

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
1zbciyp.png

I think i had my profile color similar to this new forum and now i can't see my buttons, couldn't find a way of editing the color in my settings either.