League of Legends Cinematic: A New Dawn

smoochy boys on tour

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Nice. But do their tournament winners get $1m each?

Worlds give a $2,050,000 prize pool, but various other tournaments give out cash alongside stream / website revenue. And the cinematic was meh, preffered the others by a longshot for some reason ahri just bugged me.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Worlds give a $2,050,000 prize pool, but various other tournaments give out cash alongside stream / website revenue. And the cinematic was meh, preffered the others by a longshot for some reason ahri just bugged me.

I was being a Dota fanboy :victorious: They just had a prize pool of over $10m which was raised by the players. I used to play LoL alot but now prefer Dota.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I think she Charmed them off of Leona?

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure the pink thing was this lol. I liked the Animation overall (nautilus is a beast), but disliked Ahri too. She looked too weird.

Also, Having a 10million dollar prize pool isn't necessarily a good thing. Where if you win you become a millionaire. Riot's kept the prizepool the same now and have chosen to push the money towards a challenger scene / boost the amateur scene to help get more teams into the LCS. Which is more fun for us as we don't have to see the same teams play each other over and over again. Sometimes giving the best teams ridiculous money every time isn't actually good for your e-sports growth in the long run, if you neglect the amateur scene.

Two very different styles. I'm not in favour of one or the other, (LoL or Dota2, I play both and enjoy both) I like how Dota2 rewards players for pushing money into the TI4 but at the same time I like how Riot doesn't need this as an option to keep their e-sports "relevant".

Saying that, Dota2's way about balancing the game is so much better than Riots. But I think everything is more fun when everything is overpowered in its own right.

Last edited:

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
The $10m prize could go either way if you think about it. It could encourage more teams to develop. I personally think that more new teams will start to show up. There were quite a few new names up there this year.
It's a shame the UK is a bit behind in the e-sports scene as it's becoming quite clear that it's growing and in a few years time it will be just as popular as other sporting events. The problem is at the moment a lot of people seem to think e-sports is for nerds. My wife gave me a funny look when I told her I was watching a game tournament. But I enjoy it.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
The $10m prize could go either way if you think about it. It could encourage more teams to develop. I personally think that more new teams will start to show up. There were quite a few new names up there this year.
It's a shame the UK is a bit behind in the e-sports scene as it's becoming quite clear that it's growing and in a few years time it will be just as popular as other sporting events. The problem is at the moment a lot of people seem to think e-sports is for nerds. My wife gave me a funny look when I told her I was watching a game tournament. But I enjoy it.

Yeah, I think ultimately Valve know what they're doing. They'll hopefully encourage more soon-to-be proplayers to get involved and try harder to compete, the thing about money is it's always a good incentive :P

There was a huge discussion on the LoL subreddit about the UK scene and how it's behind in terms of e-sports mainly due to the UKeSA failing to start up the infrastructure as a whole and going bankrupt. The best events we have are "iseries" which are very very minute compared to the majority of EU/NA scene. It's true we have a social stigma that if you play games or like games you're considered a "nerd" in the UK. A lot of people don't really know what to make of it, but if they were exposed to it more often like the EU/NA scene is, I think it'd grow exponentially and people would enjoy it more.

It'll be a good few years before the UK finally realises the potential in e-sports and attempts to play catch-up. It will happen, because there's too much money involved for it not to happen, but they'll have already missed out on billions by then.