Budget graphics card

Xena25

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 26, 2013
nottinghamshire
I'm looking at buying a desktop after being on laptop for years, the one i've looked at has a Nvidia Geforce 210 1gb graphics card, and am looking at other alternatives to play mir at full fps (chronicles so 60fps) could anyone post suggestions on cheap graphics cards second hand jobbies from ebay that would do this please? thanks in advance. the guy said i would need a PCI graphics card that'll fit

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
It depends what you call cheap. You may also need to note that you need a PCI-e 2.0 card not PCI as I believe the Geforce 210 is a PCI-e 2.0.

If you are going for an Nvdia again then all the 500 series and below are PCI-e. Some of the lower spec 600 and 700 series are also PCI-e. If you state a rough amount your willing to spend then im sure we can point out one for you.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Oh yeah forgot that was a factor too. You need to know what Watt power supply you have and is it has any PCI connectors on it. Unfortunately buying a gfx card is probably the most annoying part to buy due to all the requirements of your other parts.

Here are a few gfx cards. http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/1037/1038/1039
They are a bit low end but if all your doing is playing Mir then they should be fine.

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
While on this topic - could anyone suggest a good website to get a custom built PC. I was looking at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ but not really looked into it too much before so not sure if there is somewhere better.

Regards

To be honest? Have a friend or a guy from lomcn help you set up an pc by buying parts from amazon then put it together with someone who you know has IT knowledge and it'll save you aloooooot of money . Only if you're playing to have the most high end pc which requires tons of cooling etc I'd go to some special website otherwise put it together yourself or with a friend.
This can easily save you up to 500-1000 bucks depending on what kind of price range you're looking for.

Small list of what you'd need
Case
motherboard
cpu (make Shure the CPU fits the motherboard so you have to look what slot both of them are)
Powersupply
cpu cooler(heat sink&fan or water cooled if you're going to do it yourself I'd suggest a fan cause water cooled is quite an issue on your own.)
Gpu
HDD
SSD(optional)
Cd/DVD /bluray drive
(depending on CPU cooler perhaps cooling liquid ,or thermal paste)

If you're looking to crossfire multiple GPUs make Shure your motherboard actually can do it instead of going full yard and screwing it up
Also if your gpu requires an extra power supply(have to plug pci-e 6/8 pin slot in it and are doing crossfire) make Shure your power supply has multiple of those pci-e cables

Goodluck

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Thanks i'll take a look on here.

To be honest? Have a friend or a guy from lomcn help you set up an pc by buying parts from amazon then put it together with someone who you know has IT knowledge and it'll save you aloooooot of money . Only if you're playing to have the most high end pc which requires tons of cooling etc I'd go to some special website otherwise put it together yourself or with a friend.
This can easily save you up to 500-1000 bucks depending on what kind of price range you're looking for.

Small list of what you'd need
Case
motherboard
cpu (make Shure the CPU fits the motherboard so you have to look what slot both of them are)
Powersupply
cpu cooler(heat sink&fan or water cooled if you're going to do it yourself I'd suggest a fan cause water cooled is quite an issue on your own.)
Gpu
HDD
SSD(optional)
Cd/DVD /bluray drive
(depending on CPU cooler perhaps cooling liquid ,or thermal paste)

If you're looking to crossfire multiple GPUs make Shure your motherboard actually can do it instead of going full yard and screwing it up
Also if your gpu requires an extra power supply(have to plug pci-e 6/8 pin slot in it and are doing crossfire) make Shure your power supply has multiple of those pci-e cables

Goodluck

I know how to build a PC but i'm not too up to date on what's good and what's not. I just need to find someone with knowledge on good hardware specs to give me pointers I guess. Maybe the adding coolers, fans etc like you said may also be a little problematic but I have the internet full of information so it shouldn't be hard to find videos on it etc.

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
Thanks i'll take a look on here.

I know how to build a PC but i'm not too up to date on what's good and what's not. I just need to find someone with knowledge on good hardware specs to give me pointers I guess. Maybe the adding coolers, fans etc like you said may also be a little problematic but I have the internet full of information so it shouldn't be hard to find videos on it etc.

You can take a threshold of how much money you want to spend and then google best pc for -insert here money- in parts
people will link amazon parts lists and you can always tweak it around abit.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
You can take a threshold of how much money you want to spend and then google best pc for -insert here money- in parts
people will link amazon parts lists and you can always tweak it around abit.

Well this is what I was looking at on overclockers and dunno if I'm not searching right (using scan.co.uk) but couldn't seem to find parts cheaper elsewhere. The only concern I have is the PSU being only 450W. I'm sure my pc currently is running 750W, isn't 450W a little low? Couldn't even buy below 600W on scan.co.uk

- Case: Choice of Gaming Case
- Power Supply: Super Flower 450W 80+ Bronze Rated PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.50GHz Haswell Quad Core CPU Turbo Speed 3.9GHz to
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Hyperthreaded Quad
- Motherboard: Asus Z97-K (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
- Cooler: Prolimatech CPU Cooler - RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive to
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 1024mb Graphics Card
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Original Price £576.42 With Changes: £644.92

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
If you're gaming, just go AMD.

Pfft. Nothing more to say on the mater.

Well this is what I was looking at on overclockers and dunno if I'm not searching right (using scan.co.uk) but couldn't seem to find parts cheaper elsewhere. The only concern I have is the PSU being only 450W. I'm sure my pc currently is running 750W, isn't 450W a little low? Couldn't even buy below 600W on scan.co.uk

- Case: Choice of Gaming Case
- Power Supply: Super Flower 450W 80+ Bronze Rated PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.50GHz Haswell Quad Core CPU Turbo Speed 3.9GHz to
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Hyperthreaded Quad
- Motherboard: Asus Z97-K (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
- Cooler: Prolimatech CPU Cooler - RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive to
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 1024mb Graphics Card
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Original Price £576.42 With Changes: £644.92

I would spend a little bit more and get something better than the 750, you could get a better but older generation card.

Also spend 70-100 quid on a ssd for your OS, it makes the world of difference.

Dk

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Aha debates over CPU, I'm currently with AMD but I was told to go intel - i'm open to opinions though xD

Don't really know what the difference between each is really.

---------- Post Merged at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I would spend a little bit more and get something better than the 750, you could get a better but older generation card.

Also spend 70-100 quid on a ssd for your OS, it makes the world of difference.

Dk

What do you mean by that? I don't really understand all of the different details on graphics cards, I'm clueless when it comes to their specs.
I was planning on getting a SSD too but it's not listed in that build I was looking at.

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
Aha debates over CPU, I'm currently with AMD but I was told to go intel - i'm open to opinions though xD

Don't really know what the difference between each is really.

Simply put, go intel and never look back.

What do you mean by that? I don't really understand all of the different details on graphics cards, I'm clueless when it comes to their specs.
I was planning on getting a SSD too but it's not listed in that build I was looking at.

Well you could get a decent 6 series card for a few quid more than what you would pay for the 750.

On another note, are you planning on building the pc yourself? It will save you $$$ and its so simple to do. I wouldn't concern yourself with fans and what not, just use the oem fans if your not planning on overclocking etc.

Dk

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Well you could get a decent 6 series card for a few quid more than what you would pay for the 750.

On another note, are you planning on building the pc yourself? It will save you $$$ and its so simple to do. I wouldn't concern yourself with fans and what not, just use the oem fans if your not planning on overclocking etc.

Dk

I wasn't originally planning on building it myself but I know how to put a PC together so as people strongly advise it then I will most likely. It just requires some more knowledge knowing which cases to get and which motherboard to get so that it all fits in. I know different motherboards cater to different types of hardware. It shouldn't be too hard though "he says with fingers crossed" lol :P

---------- Post Merged on 19-08-2014 at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was on 18-08-2014 at 11:51 PM ----------

Ok this is my first attempt at a PC build shop totalling to something like £670 but there are a few things rounded up / down so it's not the exact price. This is roughly the same price as the pre-built one selected on overclockers but I think I've picked up a few upgrades along the way.

I don't know if I've done anything wrong or missed anything out but any pointers would be appreciated :) Thanks ^.^

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce 2X NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB
Intel CPU Core i7 3820 Quad Core Socket 2011 Processor Retail
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 Intel X79 Socket 2011 Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Quad Channel
HGST HTS721010A9E630 2.5" 1TB SATA III 7200RPM 1TB - 0J22423
Ace 750W Black PSU 120mm Quiet Red LED Fan
EZCool K3-Gaming Case with 120mm Red Fan & USB 3.0
Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i 500-2000 92mm RPM PWM Fan for intel 1150, 1155, 1156, 2011 CPU Up to 150

Last edited:

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
I wasn't originally planning on building it myself but I know how to put a PC together so as people strongly advise it then I will most likely. It just requires some more knowledge knowing which cases to get and which motherboard to get so that it all fits in. I know different motherboards cater to different types of hardware. It shouldn't be too hard though "he says with fingers crossed" lol :P

---------- Post Merged on 19-08-2014 at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was on 18-08-2014 at 11:51 PM ----------

Ok this is my first attempt at a PC build shop totalling to something like £670 but there are a few things rounded up / down so it's not the exact price. This is roughly the same price as the pre-built one selected on overclockers but I think I've picked up a few upgrades along the way.

I don't know if I've done anything wrong or missed anything out but any pointers would be appreciated :) Thanks ^.^

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce 2X NVIDIA Graphics Card - 2GB
Intel CPU Core i7 3820 Quad Core Socket 2011 Processor Retail
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 Intel X79 Socket 2011 Motherboard
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Quad Channel
HGST HTS721010A9E630 2.5" 1TB SATA III 7200RPM 1TB - 0J22423
Ace 750W Black PSU 120mm Quiet Red LED Fan
EZCool K3-Gaming Case with 120mm Red Fan & USB 3.0
Arctic Cooling Freezer 11i 500-2000 92mm RPM PWM Fan for intel 1150, 1155, 1156, 2011 CPU Up to 150

Seems like a decent setup but if you're looking to spend under £1000 then I'd go for an amd gaming rig nvidia only starts to get better at the top end for example SLI etc

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
The latest i7 should have an inboard gpu that can beast any Mir server.

If I was on a budget I would be going for gtx 750Ti only 2-4 cards beat it power-performance. It wouldn't need a stupid PSU either.