Problems with sky broadband

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
My download speed has dropped dramatically for the 3rd time now with sky broadband (non fibre) I was getting around 14mbps which is what they quoted and now I am getting 3-5...

I have rang them countless times and I have no idea what I can do about it when all they do is try to tell me that if my sky status is telling me my modem is recieving 13.999mbps then theres no reason why I shouldn't be recieving that? Yet ookla and btwholesale speed tests both tell me im getting 3-5 mbps .

Just seems like I am being fobbed off and wondered if anyone has had similar dealings with them? And how you dealt with it?

im running a wired connection too.. I have tried changing channels and ofcourse... turning the modem off for 20 minutes... am i really stuck, paying for a service im not recieving >_< :( ??

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I have Sky Broadband Unlimited package and I get exactly what they save sold me. Sky have always gave me good customer service too. There are quite a few things which could be affecting your download speed.
*Make sure your wireless is totally locked down and nobody is leeching. Turn it off for a while or change the wireless key.
*Are you the only person using the connection in your house? There are quite a few people using the net in my house which can cause the download to drop. Especially when they are watching Netflix or Sky Anytime.
*Are you using an extension? If your telephone line is extended more than 10meters from the master point then you will have more delays in data transport.
*Check your filter boxes. Replace them every so often as these seem to be the first to fault.
*Check for viruses on your machine.
*Check that it's not you PC with the issue. Try with a different PC and see if you get same result.
*Are you using Ethernet connection or wireless? Wireless connections will download slower than direct wire connection. Especially if you are further away from the router and there are a few walls and electronic devises in between.
*Do you have the latest router? If your using an old router then it could be tired. Also they probably don't have the latest wireless tech if you are using wireless.

Just try to go through a few of these or all of them. Note down what you have done. If you still have no luck then ring sky back up and describe all these methods you have tried. You will find a lot of customer services can mislead you. If you talk to them with tech knowledge then they will be more honest with you and tend to help you more.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Thank You so much, I have just come off the phone with sky and have a phone appointment booked for 5pm I will let you know how I get on, they have also listed it as a complaint too (the operator was not happy that I have had to call back numerous times about the same problem) They will be testing my phone line later, and I have been advised to move my router/computer to the master socket which is in the room next door (WELL within the 10 metres you stated) Also I am using a wired connection, and my wireless is only ever being used by me.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Finally got it sorted. I will be upgrading to fibre if it happens again I think

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Also I cant just leave a contract halfway through. I think I am upgrading tonight anyway. 33-40 meg fibre. 25 a month for 6 months then 35 a month thereafter. including line rental.

Dante83

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 21, 2012
I have sky tv and virgin broadband. I was gonna move my broadband to sky now they have fibre but virgin cecided to speed up my bb and lower my bill to keep me

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
stop turning off your modem. that it self lowers the speed if you keep doing it.

and your most likely confusing yourself with mega bits and mega bytes.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
I dont keep turning it off. its always on. but as a troubleshooting method (from sky) turninf off my modem was one of the steps. I will be purchasing fibre anyway despite. takes around 14 days. I see you're using sky fibre martyn. Is that the premium fibre I take it at 70+?

and as for bits and bytes I have no idea.. all I know is the excuse they gave me was that my modem was recieving 139999 bytes or bits... and because if that I should have been actually recieving that when I ran a speed test... which I wasnt.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yeah I'm on Sky Fiber Pro :) its brilliant, never had any major issues an some how i got like 4 Routers.. lol even a fancy black one :P

Where you testing?

start downloading this time http://mir.smir.co.uk/ and tell me what speeds you get, dont have to full download, just give it a few minutes to settle at a steady speed.

Last edited:

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
I gave up smir.... lol.. I've upgraded to Sky Fibre. was activated this morning and currently on the probationary period where they slowly increase my speed. sitting at 25Mb/s this morning, quoted 40MB/s so ill give it a couple of days.

joking

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2003
England
Think 25 is the max your going to get.. What's the router connected at?

well it went up to 30 last night so I doubt that, Sky have a probationary period for the first 10 days (doesnt take that long) so they can slowly increase speed.. why? I dont know. But they have always done it.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
That usually doesn't happen for Fiber? It looks like there was an issue which they fixed when connecting you to Fiber, since the slow speeds before and now the increase, you can check the sky forums or skyuser.co.uk forums

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:32 PM ----------

The dml I think it's called runs constantlu on Fiber unlike ADSL