Hardware

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
whats your budget? maximum e.g you can not go higher no matter what.

also what do you already have? CD Drives/HDD's ram?

I'll sort you something nicely

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Also if you are a memeber of AvForums you get free delivery.

Case wise i have this case and its honestly one the best cases ive owned, great size, space, layout, easy install, customisation, room for later builds, have a look at a little review. Wont be disappointed. Save yourself a tenner for and buy it from http://www.dabs.com/products/fracta...nd Storage - Cases, Cooling and Power - Cases

Or could could consider the Fractal Desgin R4 for around the same price but if you want something thats quieter.

So your looking £830 for a cracking system

Last edited:
Reactions: CraiG^

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
whats your budget? maximum e.g you can not go higher no matter what.

also what do you already have? CD Drives/HDD's ram?

I'll sort you something nicely

I'd say the very maximum budget I have will be about £900. I have an old setup at the moment. To be honest, it's a piece of junk and I'd rather not put any old parts in the new system.

Also if you are a memeber of AvForums you get free delivery.

Case wise i have this case and its honestly one the best cases ive owned, great size, space, layout, easy install, customisation, room for later builds, have a look at a little review. Wont be disappointed. Save yourself a tenner for and buy it from http://www.dabs.com/products/fracta...nd Storage - Cases, Cooling and Power - Cases

Or could could consider the Fractal Desgin R4 for around the same price but if you want something thats quieter.

So your looking £830 for a cracking system

That case does seem like a belter, ticks all the boxes in everything I may or may not need it for which is a good. Going by the reviews I will 100% get this case.

Really impressed with this system as well, I've heard a lot about MSI and that motherboard after reading up about it, it's something else.

It looks like the i5 4690K, is the way to go for the CPU, since both of you have it in your setups. Is there much difference between the Graphics Cards except from cosmetics?

Which website was it you used to compile the setup Warlock?

I'm looking to order this next week or the week after latest, for the extra £100ish, I would probably go with Warlocks setup mainly because of the MSI motherboard and the slightly bigger SSD (which isn't really necessary but preference I guess) and the price includes a great case as well.

With that setup Warlock would you recommend cooling? Or is what's supplied enough?

knives

100% Hyphonix
Golden Oldie
Aug 3, 2004
for a case id consider 1 that mounts the mobo horizontal, reason i suggest this is gfx cards are hefty and ive just had my fatality replaced under warrenty as where my gfx was seated it had dropped breaking the pins on the pcie slot( seems stupid but it has genuinley happened).

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
You must not have secured it correctly. Mobos and cases are designed to hold components on their side

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
if you are going to pick something for the ease of RMA (sending it back for fault diagnosis) you should look at where the items have to be sent to.

MSI and Gigabyte im sure are UK based - EVGA is in germany.

^they all seem to be just as good as each other

MSI and gigabyte have some good mobos.

TBH if you where trying to save money the first thing i would choose for a later update would be the SSD. i believe they are easy to install so wont be a big hindrance and will also feel great when your old HDD begins to get full lol.

the gpu difference maybe a slight overclock on some more expensive cards but it wont be significant and you can always overclock in future using programs such as MSI afterburner.

knives

100% Hyphonix
Golden Oldie
Aug 3, 2004
You must not have secured it correctly. Mobos and cases are designed to hold components on their side
Defo secured correctly. Just the card us massive and weighs a bit

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
I'd say the very maximum budget I have will be about £900. I have an old setup at the moment. To be honest, it's a piece of junk and I'd rather not put any old parts in the new system.

That case does seem like a belter, ticks all the boxes in everything I may or may not need it for which is a good. Going by the reviews I will 100% get this case.

Really impressed with this system as well, I've heard a lot about MSI and that motherboard after reading up about it, it's something else.

It looks like the i5 4690K, is the way to go for the CPU, since both of you have it in your setups. Is there much difference between the Graphics Cards except from cosmetics?

Which website was it you used to compile the setup Warlock?

I'm looking to order this next week or the week after latest, for the extra £100ish, I would probably go with Warlocks setup mainly because of the MSI motherboard and the slightly bigger SSD (which isn't really necessary but preference I guess) and the price includes a great case as well.

With that setup Warlock would you recommend cooling? Or is what's supplied enough?

These items were prices at scan, as i said join AvForums.com, you get free delivery from scan with orders over a certain amount, most GFX cards are on par between manufacturers, i would look into whats the best one out of the 970's tho, i just picked that as it was a hot seller on Scan, there will be some models with better cooling+oc but a bit more expensive its up to yourself.

As for cooing that all depends, will you be overclocking? Would you prefer a top end air cooler? closed unit water? (can be on par or slighty off a top end air). If your not clocking just for piece of mind and it will still allow a little overclock i would suggest a Hiper 212 Evo, great little cooler.. not very expensive.

As for case cooling, im running 2 rads on push pull in my case just now with the 2 stock fans aswell and it keeps the case perfectly cool, i wouldnt say you would have any need for extra cooling at the moment and its always something you can look at later down the line.

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
If your planning on upgrading it in the future I would go bigger than 750W on the PSU.

Defo secured correctly. Just the card us massive and weighs a bit

Just for my interest, what card?

I have 2 pretty big and heavy cards and never had an issue.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
If your planning on upgrading it in the future I would go bigger than 750W on the PSU.

Just for my interest, what card?

I have 2 pretty big and heavy cards and never had an issue.

I get where you are coming from with that, my only opinion on that is.. newer cards always boast a lower power usage than previous generations, much the same with all components these days.. I will be surprised if more than a good 750w will ever been needed unless your running multiple GPU's and rack of harddrives.

Then again some people like to be careful so its not a bad suggestion.

And ye that SSD would be perfect, gets good reviews.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
I've read that psu can sometimes clash with other components of it isn't a strong psu ie. 750 is fine but 1000 would be better. It's not like they are constantly pulling 1kw from the wall. They only pull what the pc asks for.

but it is one of the components I would say is easiest to skimp on. I've never noted anything bad from my 650 psu bronze rated.

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
I do agree with you taken from personal experience my current system in my sig running full pelt pulls 220w as noted by my LED on the back of my PSU, and that with a pretty hungry GFX card, 3 drives and a decent overclock and several fans. As i said entirely up the himself if he feels a bigger one would suit, what i would say is.. whatever PSU you buy.. make sure its manufactured by Seasonic.. they have the best name in PSU production for a reason.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Wee delay in ordering, misses lost my bank card! It shall be done in the next few days, anything else changed in the market in the small time? which could be a worthy improvement?

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Ahh I really should have put the build lol.

ojn2s9dx5

no idea why [ img ] tags aren't working but heres the link.

http://postimg.org/image/ojn2s9dx5/

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
You may want to find a motherboard that has SLi listed so you can double up on GPU down the line. The board you have chosen can only crossfire ( 2 AMD gpus ). Apart from that it looks good. Although 275 is a bit steep for that gpu. I've seen it for under 260 on ocuk.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
You may want to find a motherboard that has SLi listed so you can double up on GPU down the line. The board you have chosen can only crossfire ( 2 AMD gpus ). Apart from that it looks good. Although 275 is a bit steep for that gpu. I've seen it for under 260 on ocuk.

Think I may have been overly high when re-posting the build, but thanks for spotting that haha. Could have been disaster!

Going to ordering today :)!

Ok last check before I order,

is this all ok?

Fractal Design ARC Miditower R2 Side Window - 62.98
MSI Z97-G45 GAMING S1150 Intel Z97 DDR3 ATX - 94.99
Intel Core i5-4690 3.50GHz S1150 6MB - 164.98
MSI GeForce GTX 970 1279MHz 4GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Gaming TFV - 279.99
Samsung 250GB 840 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - 94.99
Corsair 750W CX Builder Series 80PLUS Bronze PSU - 59.98
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory Kit - 66.98

Delivery (18.6kg) £2.28
Total (inc VAT) £827.1

Swapped a few things around due to stock, got my price down a bit using dabs.com.

I wouldnt really need a dedicated soundcard would I? and I was tihnking of also adding http://www.dabs.com/products/seagat...6gb-s-64mb-7200rpm-hard-drive-7XD5.html?src=3 and
http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-usb-2-0-slim-external-dvd-writer-white-8G3N.html sure these are both fine as they should pretty much work on any system? correct em if I'm wrong though lol.

Oh and also would I need to buy any extra cabling?

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Everything but the PSU i would say its ok, the CX range has been getting pretty bad reviews for some reason, usually corsair PSUs are decent.You should get all the cables you need with the motherboard so your fine there and the extras will be fine also.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Everything but the PSU i would say its ok, the CX range has been getting pretty bad reviews for some reason, usually corsair PSUs are decent.You should get all the cables you need with the motherboard so your fine there and the extras will be fine also.

Thanks for the info mate, Also the case I can't seem to get in stock anywhere atm would you recommend another or should i just wait the extra few days for it to be in stock?

Anyway ordered and waiting now here's what I ended up getting.

The build.

15ge435.jpg

Replacement case because of stock.

24e1iz4.jpg

Any modifications or lighting that you guys would recommend to get in the future?

Last edited: