Hardware

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Ye everything looks good mate, tho did you get just a 4690 or the 4690k? doesnt look like you got the K which i wouldnt recommend, it pretty much stops you overclocking that badboy down the line when you feel you need that extra bump. Case is personal preference to be honest, i got the Arc midi and for the money it was the best on the market i could find, the R4 is a close second but its more of a noise dampening as opposed to cooling. The 500R is a cracking case, loads of space to build and plenty for future upgrades there aswell. But ye the only thing i would suggest for you later down the line is a better CPU cooler.. but then again if you havent got a K its not really needed as such.

Personally if it was me i would wait that extra few days and save yourself £30.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Ye everything looks good mate, tho did you get just a 4690 or the 4690k? doesnt look like you got the K which i wouldnt recommend, it pretty much stops you overclocking that badboy down the line when you feel you need that extra bump. Case is personal preference to be honest, i got the Arc midi and for the money it was the best on the market i could find, the R4 is a close second but its more of a noise dampening as opposed to cooling. The 500R is a cracking case, loads of space to build and plenty for future upgrades there aswell. But ye the only thing i would suggest for you later down the line is a better CPU cooler.. but then again if you havent got a K its not really needed as such.

Personally if it was me i would wait that extra few days and save yourself £30.

Ahh school boy error, I've rectified the CPU and managed to cancel the 4690 and place another order for the 4690k lets hope we don't have problems with them taking payments lol, double charges etc.

Glad that's me finally got it over and done with and ordered, now just the excitement of waiting and then building ^.^.

Thanks alot for the advice and info! I'll post pics of the build when I'm in the process!

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Glad you managed to get that sorted, dont even know why they bother with the standard CPU's its crazy if ye ask me.

Hope your build goes well man, cant say am not a bit jealous.. that machine will fly through anything!.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Glad you managed to get that sorted, dont even know why they bother with the standard CPU's its crazy if ye ask me.

Hope your build goes well man, cant say am not a bit jealous.. that machine will fly through anything!.

Woke up to a couple of hiccups today, I'd queried dabs.com about my order to stick the revised CPU in with my original order and the 500R in with it also, Now what they done was dispatched the 500R and the CPU separately, added another of each into my original order which I thankfully managed to cancel!

But apart from that all seems well so far, it's just the waiting game now!

Thanks again mate!

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Hey sorry that's me just replying been a busy man recently not had much chance to properly game with my new build yet, but from what I have done WOW.

I had a few problems first building the system (it had been a while), managed to get by these though, the difference compared to my old system is unbelievable, so much so that my g/f has been enjoying it more than I have recently and now she wants one... haha! ^-^

Glad I chose the Corsair Carbide Series 500R, plenty of space and room for more coolingor whatever else I might need in the future! Nice wee front panel with fan speed control and led switch. The simple luxuries ehh?

So I tested the system out with a few games like WoW still to install a few more but so far I was running WoW on ultra high settings with no overclocking or anything done and was on the 108 fps mark. Temperature was a bit high (pushing 65) so I ordered a cooler just before the weekend, I went for the http://www.dabs.com/products/corsai... Storage - Cases, Cooling and Power - Cooling, I was told that that should keep the system easily under 35oC constant?

The experience of having the MSI video card and motherboard is pretty cool to say the least, all the extra software they give you comes in pretty handy as well.

The SSD, what a difference it is compared to the normal HDD, and well worth purchase like you lot were saying.

I never really took many pictures of the system although I'll try get a few and stick them up. Going to start on my partners build soon, she has been looking for decent cases for the females, are NZXT a decent case make as shes seen a pink/purple one she's fond of?

Oh and heres the system how it ended up :

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis, Black
MSI Z97-G45 GAMING S1150 Intel Z97 DDR3 ATX
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz 6MB S1150 'Devils Canyon' with Heat Sink Fan
MSI GeForce GTX 970 1279MHz 4GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Gaming TFV
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory Kit
Samsung 250GB 840 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Samsung USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer White
Corsair 750W CX Builder Series 80PLUS Bronze PSU

and like I said I'll be adding the cooler should arrive tomorrow and that should be her complete minus cosmetic touches etc I'll add when I have more time

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Glad your happy with your build mate, gotta say it is a little cracker of a setup.. should wander over anything you throw at it for a good long time.

As for the NZXT Cases, aye they are pretty decernt, the phantom range especially gets really good reviews.

The H100i wont keep the cpu at 35 constant.. idle and flicking about within windows ye but when you game it will jump up a little to maybe sub 50's.. still well within good temps.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Glad your happy with your build mate, gotta say it is a little cracker of a setup.. should wander over anything you throw at it for a good long time.

As for the NZXT Cases, aye they are pretty decernt, the phantom range especially gets really good reviews.

The H100i wont keep the cpu at 35 constant.. idle and flicking about within windows ye but when you game it will jump up a little to maybe sub 50's.. still well within good temps.

I've always had a mid-low spec PC to be honest, so it has just coped with most games I'd play, but it was well overdue that I got a new build and the difference I didn't think would be this great, but it is and more! Thanks for the info on the NZXT cases, it's pretty hard to find any feminine looking cases but the misses stumbled across a nice bright pink NZXT one (-_-) so that's looking like the top contender so far.

Cheers for a more honest point on the H100i, my area is full of over exaggeration and bravado!

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
glad you are enjoying it mate. one game i would say is great to try - the witcher. you wont max that out because it has some extra super duper stupid settings designed for people with 2x titans etc but even still it looks ****ing awesome.

65C is not that high for a cpu. anything over 70C is ok for most if not all cpu's. especially for a cpu heavy game like wow. in raids it will get to its highest. my cpu is actually bottlenecking my pc. im guna get a new pc after xmas sometime though.

i do think there will be a big jump in what pcs do sometime soon. something has to change for 4k to be adapted anyway.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
glad you are enjoying it mate. one game i would say is great to try - the witcher. you wont max that out because it has some extra super duper stupid settings designed for people with 2x titans etc but even still it looks ****ing awesome.

65C is not that high for a cpu. anything over 70C is ok for most if not all cpu's. especially for a cpu heavy game like wow. in raids it will get to its highest. my cpu is actually bottlenecking my pc. im guna get a new pc after xmas sometime though.

i do think there will be a big jump in what pcs do sometime soon. something has to change for 4k to be adapted anyway.

I'll give it a wee try, see what The Witcher is like.

My cooler was installed a few days ago, just managed to get it to fit properly and I overclocked my processor to 3.9ghz and my temperature has not been over 45oC so far... Chuffed to say the least.

d1craig said:

I used to think stuff like this, something will change the computing world, some sort of revolutionary hardware or something but the older I get the more I believe we already have the technology to drastically improve life of the public, whether it be computers etc. The hierarchy just choose to release things one at a time for the monies, ****s.