Computer clock not working

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Everytime i turn my PC on in the evening, the clock shows the time of when i turned it off the night before. Sometimes it'll also just lose an hour at the end of an hour.

I've looked in to the BIOS and the clock there is the same. It isn't even counting, though im not sure if thats normal.

I've replaced the CMOS battery, and I've formatted my entire drive incase it was malware - but still nothing.

Dud motherboard, or something else I can try before I'm forced to take my whole PC apart?

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I was about to say try replacing the battery but you've already done that. Perhaps you could try updating the BIOS firmware.

As a last resort I guess you could get your pc to sync to the internet everytime it loads or something.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I updated the BIOS and no change (it also decided to stop my SSD from loading)

Updating the computer clock is fine, but it's annoying having to do it every hour (i have to manually update it as it only syncs automatically once a week)

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Assuming Win 7 (might be different elsewhere), try checking the task scheduler.
Open the task scheduler and look in Task Scheduler Library / Microsoft / Windows / Time Synchronization.

Check if there is some link to an internet clock. Maybe there is no link, the clock is gone, faulty or whatever.

Installing some software, especially if the country code is different, can bring in different time zone settings like daylight savings etc.
Adobe can sometimes cause this sort of problem.

Have a look in there anyway, it might be something to do with it.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I'm having the same issue even after a complete format so can't be anything software related I don't think. Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't show the voltage of the CMOS for me to see if it's definately gone.

I've bought a new motherboard, hoping I don't get the same issue with this one as I've only had it 6 months!

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Yeah, unfortunately they want me to send it back for a repair - and since I can't be without a computer I've just had to buy another one.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
im not and expert at this but maybe the cmos battery is dead? that is the only thing that pops into my mind when i read this.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
As original post says first thing i did was replace the battery :)

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Got this from someone who had the same problem elsewhere and had tried all the things you had done:

In this order, I uninstalled Adobe Reader, changed the Time Zone on the clock to anything other than the correct one for my location, then re-booted the system. When it came back up, I re-set the clock to the correct Time Zone, then re-installed (directly from a new, free download) the latest version of Adobe Reader, then re-booted.

That was yesterday, and the clock hasn't lost one second since. I have an atomic clock on the wall over my monitor and both clocks advance to the next minute within milliseconds of each other. I was just so thrilled with this that I had to come back to this blog and share it in the event that it just might work for someone else.

---

You say you've reformatted so be surprising if this works but worth a shot. Otherwise guess your mboard is on the fritz =/

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
I suspect I may have a similar problem on a build I've just done for someone.

I was thinking it could be a windows installation error/problem? Which version are you using?

I may have the problem with Windows 7 Ultimate

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Im on 8.1, but ive never had the issue before on this os

Ive shorted the cmos to reset it fully, the clock is moving again now so just gonna wait to see if it keeps the time

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
As original post says first thing i did was replace the battery :)
I thought that meant you have taken it out and put it back In Again like many people suggest for problems lol.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
ah fair enough.

Well good news is it seems to be holding time now, just gonna keep 'watching' it.

Now i've gotta send back this new motherboard that's arrived ^^