Best Files to use?

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Hi Guys,

I have never worked on files seriously since I messed around making a 2.3 server just to play on with some friends.

Long story short, I'm at uni now and I have a mate who can code at quite a basic level but I would assume well enough for Mir.

Wondering which files are the best to use as I would assume by now that 2.3 is really outdated. I have been playing Arcadia recently and really like the elements upgrades on items as well as the new spells & item identification process - has scorp customised this or can this be found and added somewhere else?

Any help in regards to which files to use and a basic guide to getting them up and ready would be most helpful.

Cheers,

Tom

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Ok I was probably hasty posting this, just saw Samuels post and Ruby seems the best all around but is missing some cool features from heroes. Are the new spells available on Ruby files?

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
+1 to C# Far, has done wonders to the project. Not complete with the features but Samuel's post is out dated.

Heroes full of bug's but Open Source.
Ruby is Closed Source. and don't think anyone is actually working on them now.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Long story short, I'm at uni now and I have a mate who can code at quite a basic level but I would assume well enough for Mir.

Not sure if your assumptions would be correct. Just because mir is a basic game it doesn't make the programming any less complex.

It also depends on which language he's familiar with. If he's just going to uni i don't expect he'll have used delphi much.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Not sure if your assumptions would be correct. Just because mir is a basic game it doesn't make the programming any less complex.

It also depends on which language he's familiar with. If he's just going to uni i don't expect he'll have used delphi much.

You're absolutely correct, it probably is ignorant of me to make an assumption that Mir is easily programmable. I'm hoping that we can both learn to implement cool features using scripts and code and if we have to learn as we go then I hope we learn quickly lol =P He's actually a graduate but in English Literature. So our quests and features might not work, but they will be written exquisitely lol

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
You're absolutely correct, it probably is ignorant of me to make an assumption that Mir is easily programmable. I'm hoping that we can both learn to implement cool features using scripts and code and if we have to learn as we go then I hope we learn quickly lol =P He's actually a graduate but in English Literature. So our quests and features might not work, but they will be written exquisitely lol

It is ignorant of you to assume that mir, due to its basic appearance is simple to code. An MMO by nature is extremely complex and if you assume otherwise than you are in for a shock.
To put it into terms, I have been working on the c# files for just over a year now (seperate to the svn) and only now am I finding it easier to implement more complex features(I also felt I had a basic understanding of coding)

I would suggest doing some reading, by all means I don't want this to put you off as it is very rewarding as I'm sure Far will agree.

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Ok I was probably hasty posting this, just saw Samuels post and Ruby seems the best all around but is missing some cool features from heroes. Are the new spells available on Ruby files?

The ruby source is not available to the public so you may struggle implementing anything into it now.

Dk

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
C# would be an easier source to pick up as it is a more relevant language today and there will be a lot more resources/educational tutorials available.

Although I do love Delphi :P

Sam

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I would suggest doing some reading, by all means I don't want this to put you off as it is very rewarding as I'm sure Far will agree.

Rewarding? More like life draining ^.^