pounding headache after a gym workout or during

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
anyone ever suffered this? i have suffered it for a 2nd time today after the last set of my first exercise. i got up to do the other half of my super set and was almost spinning my head was pounding so bad. was doing incline bench press (smiths machine) and lat pulldown.

i have been pushing myself really hard going past my max every workout since i started proper about 3/4 weeks ago.

i suffered something similar about 4/5 years ago. doing some shoulders exercises and i just felt a tiny tiny pop in my head. struggled on that day thinking it was just a headache, but i couldnt complete any other workouts the next time i went.

my uncle said it was a popped capillary. he was a big gym buff when he was younger so he does have some knowledge.

so has anyone else ever had this? and if so how did you get over it? dont really want to stop training for a few weeks while it fixes itself as i will be almost back to the beginning.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Lightweight.

Maybe just don't do this and live longer

d1craig said:
i have been pushing myself really hard going past my max

p.s. whats a super set

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
p.s. whats a super set
lol and im the lightweight. a super set is when you jump from one exercise to the next without a rest. usually used for exercises on muscle groups that dont use the same muscles.

if you dont go past your max you dont improve.

Visit your local gp and get ur blood pressure tested.

i get my BP checked every year as i have asthma. still should i get it checked now?

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
If you've only started 3/4 weeks ago you should avoid super sets, little to no point in them bar pump which disappears after 60 minutes. Also you should probably post this on a BB forum, try TDF or UKM not a Mir forum, can't see you getting any answers here.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
lol and im the lightweight.

Was just a pun, don't roidrage on me

d1craig said:
a super set is when you jump from one exercise to the next without a rest. usually used for exercises on muscle groups that dont use the same muscles.

if you dont go past your max you dont improve.

Sounds super. So you've plateaued after 3-4 weeks?

You might live longer though (Y)

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
If you've only started 3/4 weeks ago you should avoid super sets, little to no point in them bar pump which disappears after 60 minutes. Also you should probably post this on a BB forum, try TDF or UKM not a Mir forum, can't see you getting any answers here.

i only started being this serious making a note of my weights and stuff for 3/4 weeks, ive been going the gym for years with a month off here and there never been serious enough to make notes though lol.

Was just a pun, don't roidrage on me

Sounds super. So you've plateaued after 3-4 weeks?

You might live longer though (Y)
i havent plateuad as such. i cant just jump in at a weight i think i could do, i get a little increase every week. but i do think that is probably my max that day.

Follower

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 2, 2005
Australia
be worth getting a quick check up on it.

head over to bodybuilding.com and do a search on their forums... don't doctor google it or you'll probably come away with the conclusion you're going to die.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
thanx for the advice wond. ive jsut signed up and made my thread for that UKM one. guna give some of there stuff a read.

whenever you go the GP with a gym injury that isnt a broken bone they just say "have some time off".

i actually went the last time i done it.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
thanx for the advice wond. ive jsut signed up and made my thread for that UKM one. guna give some of there stuff a read.

whenever you go the GP with a gym injury that isnt a broken bone they just say "have some time off".

i actually went the last time i done it.

GP is usually with 9/10 BB related injuries. You'll get a speach about how bad it is for you and thats about the height of it.

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
What exercise were you performing? If you're attempting to increase your max every session, then for if you're deadlifting or squatting, then you're CNS is probably just not used to it and it has shocked your body.
Keep hydrated, have longer rest periods if you're pushing your 1RM's, and this should go without saying, but don't superset 1RM lifts, that is just incredibly pointless.

There isn't a whole lot if information in your post, other than you suffered a headache.

(Wond is 6'4 9stone, little guy thinks he knows about building muscle lololol)

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
What exercise were you performing? If you're attempting to increase your max every session, then for if you're deadlifting or squatting, then you're CNS is probably just not used to it and it has shocked your body.
Keep hydrated, have longer rest periods if you're pushing your 1RM's, and this should go without saying, but don't superset 1RM lifts, that is just incredibly pointless.

There isn't a whole lot if information in your post, other than you suffered a headache.

(Wond is 6'4 9stone, little guy thinks he knows about building muscle lololol)

lol gabby pls, go back to playing with your 10kg dbells phaggot.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
i was doing an incline bench press on a smiths machine. i had finished the last set out of 5 (5 being my lowest weight set but lots of reps). 4 sets of increasing weights, as high as i have been in 3/5 years. wasnt until i got up off the machine i felt it.

was super set with lat pulldown, which i was pushing myself on very much, lots of squeeze in the neck/back while doing it. could be that but the headache hit before i got to do my last set of the lat pulldown.

i just packed up and went home, didnt want it to get worse.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
you phaggots aware!?

bertstare.jpg

Silencer

Comedian
Golden Oldie
Feb 9, 2008
LOMCN HQ with Tai, eating bagels.
Go to a GP.

Don't risk it, could be nothing, could be something.

NEVER self-diagnose or take an internet diagnosis as correct.

Always see a medical professional if you have any concerns regarding your health.

P.S Lay off the roids phaggot. :P x

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
If you've only just started 3/4 weeks ago, I suggest you not max yourself out all the time.

The better thing to do anyway, is focusing on your technique, as when your weight increases, this is what will matter the most to avoid injuries. There is no need to go all out, so early. Your muscles always grow faster to begin with, so it's not like you will see less results.

If the going all out is the issue, focusing on your technique will solve the problem until you get use to the pressure on your body (I threw up a couple times due to the amounts of pressure when i started out lol), but 4 years later, i'm lifting heavy and suffer from nothing other than injuries from time to time (Comes with the territory i'm afraid lol, only small ones. Big ones are often caused by silly movements or bad techniques).

But, if you're really that worried, it's always a good idea to get yourself checked as others have suggested.