Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
southpark-wow-281.jpg

CrazyBear...

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
I don't get how people can play mir and be in good shape at the same time.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Exactly, no time for both, unless your unemployed of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless of course you don't work a poverty job that forces you to work 50+ hours a week in order to live.

CrazyBear...

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Unless of course you don't work a poverty job that forces you to work 50+ hours a week in order to live.

I'm not having it, if you want to be the best on mir, you have to dedicate your life to it, no time for the gym.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
well tbh non of you lot know me on any mir servers. so i guess that proves the point lmao

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
People only know Wond because he constantly posts in between reppin his 1RM 5kg bicep curls. I've drawn bigger stick figures than Wond. rekt.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
I was proved the noob after reading your post anyway.

I I wasn't going for one rep maxs I was just upping it to almost as far as I could but pushing 4-1 reps out of it. If I was doing one rep maxs most of the rep would be worthless and formless.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
I was proved the noob after reading your post anyway.

I I wasn't going for one rep maxs I was just upping it to almost as far as I could but pushing 4-1 reps out of it. If I was doing one rep maxs most of the rep would be worthless and formless.

You shouldn't be going that low in your reps, it wont do a whole lot in terms of building muscle. Personally when I first started I stuck with 8x4 (8 reps 4 sets) for the first year and seen some really good gains from it, others will swear by 5x5 for beginning but as with everything in this game it will differ from person to person. You should join 1 of the forums I suggested (TDF being the recommended one) and post up your goals, stats & ask for some advice. Apart from that just spend 30mins a day browsing different topics & you'll soon learn all the ins & outs yourself.

Good luck with your gainz brah.

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
Also, just to add, stop using the smith machine for your presses. It's nice to push that extra weight, but as soon as you go to a free weight barbell you won't get anywhere near that weight and the form will likely be horrific. If you don't have a spotter either drop the weight and use good form with a barbell or just use dumbells, which is my personal preference if I train alone. You're limiting you're range of motion, and the bar doesn't move in a perfect line when bench pressing, flat or incline.

Using a smith machine is maybe ok for a beginner, but even then I'd strongly advise that you use free weights, you'll gain so much more from it.

As for the rep range, it totally depends on your goals. I tend to work in a 8-12 rep range for the first couple of sets, and then I work in a 5-8 rep range, of course this depends on how much weight I've added. I find for me, this is decent for size and strength gains. But you have to play around with your routine before you find something that really works for you.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Also, just to add, stop using the smith machine for your presses. It's nice to push that extra weight, but as soon as you go to a free weight barbell you won't get anywhere near that weight and the form will likely be horrific. If you don't have a spotter either drop the weight and use good form with a barbell or just use dumbells, which is my personal preference if I train alone. You're limiting you're range of motion, and the bar doesn't move in a perfect line when bench pressing, flat or incline.

Using a smith machine is maybe ok for a beginner, but even then I'd strongly advise that you use free weights, you'll gain so much more from it.

As for the rep range, it totally depends on your goals. I tend to work in a 8-12 rep range for the first couple of sets, and then I work in a 5-8 rep range, of course this depends on how much weight I've added. I find for me, this is decent for size and strength gains. But you have to play around with your routine before you find something that really works for you.

Stfu noop

DaNgErOuS

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 14, 2015
Just stumbled across this post, I had the same thing when I 1st started training years ago its one of two things, your ethier not drinking enough water throughout the day even when not at the gym or number two your not controlling you breathing while lifting wieghts or other exercise's :p

hope this helps :)

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
yea i was traeton lol. the others dont though

---------- Post Merged at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:14 AM ----------

You shouldn't be going that low in your reps, it wont do a whole lot in terms of building muscle. Personally when I first started I stuck with 8x4 (8 reps 4 sets) for the first year and seen some really good gains from it, others will swear by 5x5 for beginning but as with everything in this game it will differ from person to person. You should join 1 of the forums I suggested (TDF being the recommended one) and post up your goals, stats & ask for some advice. Apart from that just spend 30mins a day browsing different topics & you'll soon learn all the ins & outs yourself.

Good luck with your gainz brah.

it was meant to say 4-10 reps lol

---------- Post Merged at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:15 AM ----------

i am using the smiths machine for the reason you mentioned and because i have recently had a shoulder op which i dont trust atm thats why im possibly going so light. by recently i mean in the last 4 years, not happy its fixed proper though.

like you i was set on doing 12 reps, if i could do 12 i would up my weight. was set in that way for year and years. but recently decided to change it. im now going from 20 reps all the way down to 4, starting at a weight heavier than i started at last week but still pretty light and building up to my highest even higher than last weeks max. not found my actual max yet. was using a 5th set for lightweight to failure. and tbh it was going great until this lol.

going back tmoz and going to see where i am. i might try the barbell for my presses although i do enjoy the dumbell presses. prefer flies ofcourse.

---------- Post Merged at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:22 AM ----------

All seems fine. Keep thinking I can feel it but it's not happened so I'm good. The breathing is what I am lacking tbh. Really makes it all easier if I breathe proper.

Was doing dumbbell inc press then flies as my routine is and then going on to dec dumbbell press but my grip is to weak to do 3 exercises with the same grip. So doing the smiths for decline.

If you saw the gym I'm training in you would be sick. It's just ****ing awful lol. Can't do any bench press unless it's flat or on smiths. Half the machines have restricted movements that shouldn't be restricted. But it only costs me £2 a week as its in the social club in work. People trying to get them to fork out for better stuff now though as its getting pretty popular. It's like rockys camp in rocky 4. But worse lmao.