Print Screen

smoochy boys on tour

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
A simple tip.

Print Screen saves the current screen view to the clipboard. (As we all no doubt know.)

Did you know..
Alt+Print Screen saves just the active window to the clipboard.

This can be handy and save a lot of time.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
You disappoint me.

WIndows 7+ also has the snipping tool, handy for getting a quick screeny without cropping.

I only use the snipping tool when it's in my start menu, I'm too lazy to click through all programs etc. <3

knightmare2

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 8, 2007
can in win10? shortcut key for windows 10 to snip screen shot I use QQ to do this I never new windows had it integrated

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the win snipper tip, I use PrintKey 2000 v5.10 which was the last version as it is no longer developed, but it still works in win10, sits in the Tray and you can select shortcut key(s) to trigger various ways of sniping. I find win snipping tool a bit shortcoming in this regard (it has other good points that PrintKey doesn't have like freeform snip), closest way to make it accessible is to pin it to taskbar.

But you can't dismiss it by Escape and need to click first to open it from taskbar and then click again on New...

Most times I can get by with just selection rectangle and with printkey I just press Alt-F2 and mouse cursor changes to crosshair pointer and I can click and drag right away, very simple and there is gold in simplicity... that's why I am still going with printkey and use win snipping tool only if need freeform snip.
But I looked at it just for a minute after I read your post about it.