Mir Replacement

smoochy boys on tour

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Hi, not posted here in quite a while, used to play Legend of Mir 2 a huge amount and recently decided i'd like to find something like it again. Played WoW, GW2, Skyforge, Wildstar, Rift and all sorts of MMO's. I think i've narrowed a list down to things i'd like to see from Mir, in a game;

1. Fully open world, no instanced bosses. I miss the huge Guild battles outside a boss waiting for it to spawn.
2. Rare items, not everyone on a server having access to every in-game spell was a fantastic feature imo.
3. Durability loss on items, means there are items constantly decaying from the server which allows in some ways, no Bind on Equip items.
4. Items should be full traded even after equipping them.
5. The penalties for PKing someone was also another fantastic feature, yellow for a kill and red for a couple kills, it allowed everyone the ability to kill an enemy or someone for whatever reason, but usually to some cost of their own, even if it is just the fact that you cant go back to town again for a couple hours.
6. Leveling up Skills, i know games like WoW used to have the requirement to attack things worth a sword to level your sword skills up, but its not the same. Even talents don't fill the role, but simply being required to cast spells over and over to level them up and this fueled a desire for skill necklaces was another killer feature.
7. Refining items (or putting Luck on them) with chances to break or chances to lower luck on item. This created a mini game of sorts and allowed the game to still feel interesting enough even though the number of actual unique items were low. Everyone in the town could have the same item but they'd all be refined different or different amounts of luck etc.
8. The top down view of the game, i think if they threw Diablo 3 graphics and spell visuals and incorporated the mechanics of MiR then we'd be onto a winner, maybe not huge sums of players because the grind doesn't appeal to everyone. But still a good following.

Think that's the main points, i might be missing a thing or two.

I'm wondering what other peoples main points for still clinging onto this 13 year old game or whatever it is.

The community was also a large factor, but that's something that cant just be implemented to a game, so I've not included it in the list.

Are there any games that fill some or most of the points listed above? Something that is fairly recent in release that there are still official servers for it? Currently downloading a couple Mir 2 and Mir 3 server setups to give them a try again but cant see them holding me for too long with how much they've become outdated. mir.37.com someone linked did look really good though and would have been amazing if it was possible to rip the graphics from there. Since it was basically a Mir copy with some updated graphics and such.

Anyway, looking forward to getting some replies and maybe suggestions to where i can find some of the core mechanics of MiR somewhere else.

Thanks,

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I always thought Lineage 2 was a 3D version of Mir.
They have changed much of the lower level grind from the original earlier ideas but the game is still full of challenges.
If you like 3D then I recommend Lineage 2.
I've been trying without much luck to get my old chars/accounts back but they changed servers, accounting system and everything so nearly all is lost. On the plus side, it's free to play now.