Browser habits

Join Discord

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I'm going to attempt a web page with fluid css to allow for varying sizes of browser / media.

Can people reply with how and what they browse with, mobile, pc, screen res etc., so I can get an idea of what a gamer community is likely to use.
Also info on whether you have your browser set to full screen or maybe use IE and have a shortcut sidebar etc.

Cheers.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Full screened google chrome on PC - sometimes its windowed
safari on iphone5
IE on xbox one

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Firefox pc full
Chrome or Firefox android
Never IE at least until their new version is released and we know what it's going to be like.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Chrome Windowed (No Extensions) - General Use as it has all my **** saved
Opera Windowed (Turbo Mode) - For Torrenting - Incognito
Photon (for Android) - For Developing/Testing Flash - Incognito

Only time I use IE, Firefox or Safari is to check the comparability of my browser kits.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
IE11 at home & work. Edge isn't good enough yet, it's fast but lacking options & customisation atm.

Edge on phone (W10M).

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed
I'm going to attempt a web page with fluid css to allow for varying sizes of browser / media.

Can people reply with how and what they browse with, mobile, pc, screen res etc., so I can get an idea of what a gamer community is likely to use.
Also info on whether you have your browser set to full screen or maybe use IE and have a shortcut sidebar etc.

Cheers.
You don't need to know any of that when designing a website to work on various formats, most sites now use responsive design for multi platform integration. This is a prime example of a responsive designed website - http://www.esports-social.eu/ (It's still a work in progress), notice the design changes dependent on the type of device it is used on.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
You don't need to know any of that when designing a website to work on various formats, most sites now use responsive design for multi platform integration. This is a prime example of a responsive designed website - http://www.esports-social.eu/ (It's still a work in progress), notice the design changes dependent on the type of device it is used on.

Yep. Thanks for the reply.
I'm aware of the capabilities for the design, much of the reason behind my question was to see if it warranted such a design or something less complicated.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Scrolling your site seems horribly sluggish

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed
I'm aware of the capabilities for the design, much of the reason behind my question was to see if it warranted such a design or something less complicated.
Using responsive design takes away the complication of web design, allowing the design of the site to flow through to various formats. A great place to start, is using a framework such as UIKit or Twitter Framework. Most designers now use someone else's framework, to build in responsive design and there are some fantastic ones to use.

Scrolling your site seems horribly sluggish
The joys of using a cheap host I'm afraid.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The joys of using a cheap host I'm afraid.

Its nothing to do with your host, it's the terribly designed website. I expect the culprit is the code below.

Code:
$("body").niceScroll({
									touchbehavior:false,
									cursorcolor:"#999999",
									cursoropacitymin:0,
									cursoropacitymax:1,
									cursorwidth:6,
									cursorborder:"none",
									cursorborderradius:"7px"
								});

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed

Its nothing to do with your host, it's the terribly designed website. I expect the culprit is the code below.

Code:
$("body").niceScroll({
                                    touchbehavior:false,
                                    cursorcolor:"#999999",
                                    cursoropacitymin:0,
                                    cursoropacitymax:1,
                                    cursorwidth:6,
                                    cursorborder:"none",
                                    cursorborderradius:"7px"
                                });
No it's the host provider, as the site isn't collocated and so loading directly from one source. Has nothing to do with the coding of the site, just as the site source doesn't show you everything from the point of the site design.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
not sure why colocation would make any difference to the speed of your scrolling (overall loading, maybe). Its a javascript plugin which is causing that.

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed

not sure why colocation would make any difference to the speed of your scrolling (overall loading, maybe). Its a javascript plugin which is causing that.
The site is on a shared hosting account, which means scripts such as JS are loaded directly from the hosting account on which causes script lag. Due to restriction from the host, JS takes longer to load and is sluggish. Where as our other site which also uses the same scripts and uses colocation as it is hosted in both Europe and the US, the response from those scripts isn't sluggish in the slightest. So yes I know it's the host causing the issue, hence the site is being migrated to our other host.

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Ironically that page doesn't load for me in Chrome. Definitely the same slow scrolling in other browsers though

ESN

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jun 26, 2015
Undisclosed

Ironically that page doesn't load for me in Chrome. Definitely the same slow scrolling in other browsers though
What browser are you using, as I will need to investigate this further and works fine in chrome on this end.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The site works for me in chrome, but theres the poor scrolling.

Could it be you have JS turned off? That template doesn't load correctly when you turn it off (though it does get the scrolling back to normal, because of the disabled plugin)

Last edited: