Windows 10

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I just installed Windows 10 over Win 7 64bit.
It took hours to install. The prog is about 4 gig and it needs 9gb + to install so if your O/S drive is a bit tight, you need to make space.
It's given me about 6 gig of drive space back, probably due to removal of IE.

It's very buggy so far.
Date format is in the annoying USA month first format even though it says its UK and I can't change it due to another bug where open windows close on mouse hover and you get a common dll error.

It's done it's best to copy my Win 7 colour scheme of all black etc. and not give me the crud mobile phone style block look. This can be toggled.
The directory tree layout is a bit different with all sorts of crap MS think is important but I don't so I'll have to try and change that.

The task manager is more responsive and more friendlier than Win 7 with more info at hand.

IE is gone and replaced with something called Edge. It doesn't seem installed yet so I'll pass on that atm.

There's an annoying search box in the main toolbar which takes up too much space and needs to go. The sys tray is changed in format.

That's my first impressions.

Last edited:

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
I installed W10 on its release and have to admit its 100 times better than Windows 8, however like you specified its relatively new and still really buggy. I ended up rolling back 2 days later not because its bad, just because it had troubles running some apps and programs especially if it was an old program (Mir 2.3 for e.g).

Windows Edge is definately better than IE and when tested seems faster and smoother than its competitors chrome, firefox etc.
The only thing that annoyed me with Edge was using lomcn if i was to refresh the page or click a link sometimes it would a popup would appear asking me if I wanted to leave this page. Really annoying.

All in all give it half a year or so it might be worth upgrading again.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
There's an annoying search box in the main toolbar which takes up too much space and needs to go.

Went within seconds for me.

I much prefer it to 8, feels smoth and crisp, Edge is pretty meh at times telling me to use IE instead as its more compatible. Otherwise i have no problems with it so far, its all more "touchscreen" friendly with system settings etc.

I like it so far, only way is up on this version!!!

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I was going to install it then I decided to stick with win7 for now as I don't want to risk upsetting how I have my mir projects set up... everything is running fine so no need to risk it for no obvious advantage

I will try it out one day though... maybe on a second hdd when I upgrade my pc a bit

stupple

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2003
i use developer preview i tho it was good but few stuff i don't like on it but it better then win 7

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
The problem I have seems to be that the install hasn't got a driver for intel 4 series mobile graphics chipset.
Every time you try to use a menu on a window with a mouse, it closes it. I'm assuming this is related to the missing graphics driver but maybe not.

Could also be bugged Elan mouse/touchpad drivers.

I also noticed on Win 10 using Chrome, my name on here is yellow and glowing whereas on Win 7 and IE11, it's a dull greeny brown.

Last edited:

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
The problem I have seems to be that the install hasn't got a driver for intel 4 series mobile graphics chipset.
Every time you try to use a menu on a window with a mouse, it closes it. I'm assuming this is related to the missing graphics driver but maybe not.

Could also be bugged Elan mouse/touchpad drivers.

I also noticed on Win 10 using Chrome, my name on here is yellow and glowing whereas on Win 7 and IE11, it's a dull greeny brown.

Yeh its bugged my ELAN mouse/Pad drivers too. After I rerolled back to windows 8 i still dont have drivers for it.

Might be worth you all reading this too.
http://10ways.com/improve-yourself/..._medium=content&utm_campaign=windows103auginc

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
After turning the machine on this morning and waiting several minutes for what I presume were updates, my graphics drivers are now added and working correctly. The bugs for the mouse and Windows all seem gone.

Some screen shortcuts don't work and need recreating.
After getting Mir working, I regret to say that Windows 10 has the same text box bug as Win 8. You can see the cursor flashing like mad but what you type only shows in chat when you scroll up.
Damn !
So far everything else seems better now than it did last night.
The directory tree glyphs etc. all look flat, a bit like Win3.1 rather than the more detailed newer versions we're all used to now.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
My install seems to be sorting itself out, slowly...

I find that a lot of the apps installed via store (or the ones that come with Win10, especially Edge) hang when loading (only on the content window). I seem to missing a few options in comparison to my other devices, my newer Asus laptop is able to right click start menu and edit its tiling, however on my Toshiba, I am unable to right click start menu at all AND it's not tab'able in properties (just doesn't exist).

However, It's nice, all my third party program are running smoothly!

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
Im impressed with it so far. My sata 3 ssd gets from BIOS to desktop within literally 2 seconds.

The 'out of the box' desktop backgrounds are horrible - only real negative i can say.

Those of you using delphi will probably get an error of missing files. You can find the files in c:/windows.old and move them to the new c:/windows

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Im impressed with it so far. My sata 3 ssd gets from BIOS to desktop within literally 2 seconds.

The 'out of the box' desktop backgrounds are horrible - only real negative i can say.

Those of you using delphi will probably get an error of missing files. You can find the files in c:/windows.old and move them to the new c:/windows

My Pc boots in 20seconds in comparison to 30 prior, with my NFC device attached, I can be logged in 23 seconds, and on skype in 30!

I've done hardly any editing to change anything to windows 7 style, and nothing to keep anything I liked on windows 8. Installed on Work Pc and Home Pc, now touch screen laptops the next test - EEK

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade but unfortunately due to my nature of work I cannot do so for a while.

It does appear that I am NOT missing out on anything just yet though.

I probably would of updated day 1 if Cortana was a "Hologram" walking around on my desktop instead she's just a text box.

neptuneshaun

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 17, 2007
im still in two minds about getting windows 10, i might find an iso file for it and try it out in Hyper-V before i decide as i dont want to mess it all up. the one reason i want to move mainly is its a free copy. The only thing thats getting me is atm Microsoft are releasing these "windows" without fixing the old problems on the likes of 7 and 8/8.1 there just releasing new versions because of the phone O/S it would appear.

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
It's only free for the first year I hear their charging after that

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
It's only free for the first year I hear their charging after that

It's free. I think they will be charging for updates etc. But you should still be able to use it without paying.

I really like it so far.

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
I want to try it on my laptop using 7 atm

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
So much to backup though lol, if you restore do you lose any data? Is there a difference between an upgrade and a fresh install?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Everything stayed intact for me, literally everything. Was impressed, as I expected Microsoft to **** something up.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
So much to backup though lol, if you restore do you lose any data? Is there a difference between an upgrade and a fresh install?

If you upgrade you keep everything, including programs.

I've only done my laptop so far, and I could take it or leave it so won't be upgrading my desktop yet