What do people look for in MIR server?

Zed

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2014
I always love playing it for nostalgia but one thing that always bothers me is how you need a guild to do anything interesting, and to get geared up, and with people coming from server after server in groups, its hard to get a guild that will trust you.

I've always wanted to see solo caves where you can hunt gear and stuff, for your level, and have solo bosses (obviously not easy).

I have got stuff like this I have tinkered with, where you get a currency to get into solo caves, and it teleports you to a cave based on your level.

This might just be me, but what do you look for in a mir server?

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Big tittys woo! Na joking, starting on a map that isn't bichon prov is always a great look in my eyes lol ^_^...

Teleport to caves, its 2015 people been running to cave for over 12 years nobody want's that **** anymore! Most people have grown up and got life's now so it's a lot easier to jump on tele straight to cave's and start grinding.

Quest's are a big no no for me for Mir, keep that **** to World of warcraft, unless they was very unique and big reward's never found them any good on mir.

Low rate server's are just out to often and 99% of them fail badly, everytime a decent high/med rate is made first time it does well for a good year, look at 3H that was last good high rate and that killed it for years having 100+ online.

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
Big tittys woo! Na joking, starting on a map that isn't bichon prov is always a great look in my eyes lol ^_^...

Teleport to caves, its 2015 people been running to cave for over 12 years nobody want's that **** anymore! Most people have grown up and got life's now so it's a lot easier to jump on tele straight to cave's and start grinding.

Quest's are a big no no for me for Mir, keep that **** to World of warcraft, unless they was very unique and big reward's never found them any good on mir.

Low rate server's are just out to often and 99% of them fail badly, everytime a decent high/med rate is made first time it does well for a good year, look at 3H that was last good high rate and that killed it for years having 100+ online.

I agree with a lot of what your saying but i like starting in BW :P i also don't like a server with 100's of quests whose got the time?

i do like quests but mir dose not have to be dependent on it!

i feel when people remove to much and make it a 70% 80% 90% 100% new game it takes the feel away from mir.

we all love mir why change it so much and try to make it something it not?

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Posted that a while ago. Thats what im looking for in a server

-Make all classes OP and strong
Im fed up with those "serious-looking" servers where the pvp is about who will get bored first or run out of pots. Make Warriors 2-3hit the ranged classes and make the ranged classes 5-7hit the war. Will you do that with current/non-rare spells? Will you do it with new/rare spells? Thats not important imo. Fast bursty fights are fun.

-Have as many items as possible
Common, rare-ish, rare, super-rare, mega-rare, super-duper rare, whatever-rare. Why are recently ppl stuck to either having just euro items with couple customs ones(if its low rate) or common sets every 10levels along with the rare sets every 25? Are you THAT lazy or you lack that much imagination to make enough items? Who limits you? Is it about trying to make a server "look serious" or "look mess-arround"? Is it that hard to make many items so that ppl have something to aim for no matter their level no matter the rate of the server without losing the balance?

-Caves
There should be leveling caves, hunting caves(bit harder) and group caves for each set of lvls and all of them should have SUBBOSSES in every floor. Some of the most fun i had in servers was rting arround big floors to find the subbosses.
Also the caves should be balanced arround item tiers. The same way in every mmo once you finish tier 1 caves you move to tier 2 caves ONCE you have the proper equipment etc etc. That way you feel PROGRESS. Of course this probably means higher rate on item stats compared to euro because simply going from dc2 brace and dc5 ring to dc3 brace and dc6 ring isnt something that should allow you to hunt comfortably in a new cave. You become stronger you hunt in harder caves.

-Rates
No1 cares about the rates. It doesnt matter if its low rate or high rate as long as there things to do no matter what lvl it "says" you are. There are no easy servers and no hard servers. There are people that have put more effort and time on say ben's super high rate servers than on euro.
Also you can have a server with lvl cap at lvl10 with tons of things to do lvl1-10 or you can have a ton of "empty" lvls on a server with lvl cap lvl300. Its just usually easier to have a med-high-ish rate for balancing issues (hp) and to make ppl feel some sort of progress.

-Leveling
There should be a lvl cap. When you open your server theres supposed to be content up to lvl X. Thats where the lvl cap is. Then you upgrade the server.
What happens when ppl hit the lvl cap? Its up to you to have enough content to keep ppl busy even at lvl cap.
How you achieve that lvl cap? There are many different types of ppl in mir. Ppl that like bossing, ppl that like questing, ppl that like grinding. All these 3 types should be able to achieve it even at different speed (i would guess the grinders would hit it first).
Also to balance the leveling (no matter if its with exp pills from bosses or usual exp from mobs or exp from quests) once you decide for example to split the content in lvl tiers like lvl1-10 lvl11-20 etc make lvl11+ either require a huge more ammount exp more(and mobs/quests/exppills in lvl11+ give way more exp as well obv) or make it so that lvl1-10 content gives no exp for lvl11 so that ppl will have to get well geared first before proceeding to the next tier of caves (PROGRESS!!!)

-DROP FILES!!!!!
This is the base of your server. This is what makes a server fun or not. Mir is not about fancy maps or mobs its about hunting. IF you have many tiers for items for every X lvls instead of just 1 or 2 its quite easy to make hunting rewarding. If for example you have 5tiers of items for say lvl40-45 (or lvl70-80 since like i said the rate of server doesnt decide if its fun or not) its quite easy to have tier 1-3 drop from mobs and tier 2-5 from bosses (with proper rates obviously). That way even if you make the best tier items super rare like 1/10000 *cough* chronicle *cough* and basicly unobtainable hunting will still be rewarded.
In general though these should be quite random so that there are chances for super drops no matter what you kills. This randomness was what made mir fun.

-Instances
The word basicly speaks for itself. Obviously 90% of the content should world content but wouldnt hurt to have the odd instance so that groups/solo players that dont want to run a cave only to find the boss is killed/camped to have a chance to hunt something which obviously will have less rewards than a normal cave.

-Crafting
This is basicly free content easy to add. Never understood why it was never used properly. It will also help making hunting more rewarding since there could be a few ingredients dropping left a right (not too many since this is not Lineage 2) at different rarities from different mobs to create items, buff pots, exp pots, upgrade guilds, upgrade items. You can even add proffecions. The possibilities are endless. But imo this part aint that important but could be a good extra.

-Punish Deaths
1/3 times you die you should drop something. Simple as that. Makes pvp better, makes solo or small grp hunting tough things harder and in general server better.

-Leveling spells
NO. SIMPLY NO. It takes no skill to afk hitting trainer. Skills should be 0/1 to level end of story.
You want to add lvl0, lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 books in dropfiles in different rarities? Fine!
You want to make em level through quests? Cool.
Just dont make me afk lvl em. Its not fun.

/Mitsos

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I agree with a lot of what your saying but i like starting in BW :P i also don't like a server with 100's of quests whose got the time?

i do like quests but mir dose not have to be dependent on it!

i feel when people remove to much and make it a 70% 80% 90% 100% new game it takes the feel away from mir.

we all love mir why change it so much and try to make it something it not?

But mir is quest based now. So yeah if you go by the 1.4 euro feel its not mir, but if you played official mir today then quests are mir.

personally i love tons of quests, gives you objectives to do instead of just aimlessly killing. a good server should have a main story quest line and enough side quests that you'll never be left with nothing to do before level cap.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
But mir is quest based now. So yeah if you go by the 1.4 euro feel its not mir, but if you played official mir today then quests are mir.

personally i love tons of quests, gives you objectives to do instead of just aimlessly killing. a good server should have a main story quest line and enough side quests that you'll never be left with nothing to do before level cap.

Mir quest's suck dick, i know a lot of people who dislike them. They are boring it's the same **** go collect something or kill something get rewarded there is nothing unique about them what is the point... Go collect some bones for some exp wooow thanks..

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham

Im fed up with those "serious-looking" servers where the pvp is about who will get bored first or run out of pots. Make Warriors 2-3hit the ranged classes and make the ranged classes 5-7hit the war. Will you do that with current/non-rare spells? Will you do it with new/rare spells? Thats not important imo. Fast bursty fights are fun.

Common, rare-ish, rare, super-rare, mega-rare, super-duper rare, whatever-rare. Why are recently ppl stuck to either having just euro items with couple customs ones(if its low rate) or common sets every 10levels along with the rare sets every 25? Are you THAT lazy or you lack that much imagination to make enough items? Who limits you? Is it about trying to make a server "look serious" or "look mess-arround"? Is it that hard to make many items so that ppl have something to aim for no matter their level no matter the rate of the server without losing the balance?

-Caves
There should be leveling caves, hunting caves(bit harder) and group caves for each set of lvls and all of them should have SUBBOSSES in every floor. Some of the most fun i had in servers was rting arround big floors to find the subbosses.
Also the caves should be balanced arround item tiers. The same way in every mmo once you finish tier 1 caves you move to tier 2 caves ONCE you have the proper equipment etc etc. That way you feel PROGRESS. Of course this probably means higher rate on item stats compared to euro because simply going from dc2 brace and dc5 ring to dc3 brace and dc6 ring isnt something that should allow you to hunt comfortably in a new cave. You become stronger you hunt in harder caves.

-Rates
No1 cares about the rates. It doesnt matter if its low rate or high rate as long as there things to do no matter what lvl it "says" you are. There are no easy servers and no hard servers. There are people that have put more effort and time on say ben's super high rate servers than on euro.
Also you can have a server with lvl cap at lvl10 with tons of things to do lvl1-10 or you can have a ton of "empty" lvls on a server with lvl cap lvl300. Its just usually easier to have a med-high-ish rate for balancing issues (hp) and to make ppl feel some sort of progress.

-Leveling
There should be a lvl cap. When you open your server theres supposed to be content up to lvl X. Thats where the lvl cap is. Then you upgrade the server.
What happens when ppl hit the lvl cap? Its up to you to have enough content to keep ppl busy even at lvl cap.
How you achieve that lvl cap? There are many different types of ppl in mir. Ppl that like bossing, ppl that like questing, ppl that like grinding. All these 3 types should be able to achieve it even at different speed (i would guess the grinders would hit it first).
Also to balance the leveling (no matter if its with exp pills from bosses or usual exp from mobs or exp from quests) once you decide for example to split the content in lvl tiers like lvl1-10 lvl11-20 etc make lvl11+ either require a huge more ammount exp more(and mobs/quests/exppills in lvl11+ give way more exp as well obv) or make it so that lvl1-10 content gives no exp for lvl11 so that ppl will have to get well geared first before proceeding to the next tier of caves (PROGRESS!!!)

-DROP FILES!!!!!
This is the base of your server. This is what makes a server fun or not. Mir is not about fancy maps or mobs its about hunting. IF you have many tiers for items for every X lvls instead of just 1 or 2 its quite easy to make hunting rewarding. If for example you have 5tiers of items for say lvl40-45 (or lvl70-80 since like i said the rate of server doesnt decide if its fun or not) its quite easy to have tier 1-3 drop from mobs and tier 2-5 from bosses (with proper rates obviously). That way even if you make the best tier items super rare like 1/10000 *cough* chronicle *cough* and basicly unobtainable hunting will still be rewarded.
In general though these should be quite random so that there are chances for super drops no matter what you kills. This randomness was what made mir fun.

-Instances
The word basicly speaks for itself. Obviously 90% of the content should world content but wouldnt hurt to have the odd instance so that groups/solo players that dont want to run a cave only to find the boss is killed/camped to have a chance to hunt something which obviously will have less rewards than a normal cave.

-Crafting
This is basicly free content easy to add. Never understood why it was never used properly. It will also help making hunting more rewarding since there could be a few ingredients dropping left a right (not too many since this is not Lineage 2) at different rarities from different mobs to create items, buff pots, exp pots, upgrade guilds, upgrade items. You can even add proffecions. The possibilities are endless. But imo this part aint that important but could be a good extra.

-Punish Deaths
1/3 times you die you should drop something. Simple as that. Makes pvp better, makes solo or small grp hunting tough things harder and in general server better.

-Leveling spells
NO. SIMPLY NO. It takes no skill to afk hitting trainer. Skills should be 0/1 to level end of story.
You want to add lvl0, lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 books in dropfiles in different rarities? Fine!

/Mitsos

This.

I want to play Mir. like i really do, but since ben has left the scene, theres just nothing that is even remotely interesting anymore.

I also would like to add to mtis list

- Reasons to pvp as a guild/grp could even have like an Open objective were if your guild captures it get a set exp buff or what ever, i dunno use your imagination. i dont think anyone plays Mir to run around killing a WT...... Unless they have down syndrome or something.

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006

-Caves

-Rates

-Leveling

-DROP FILES!!!!!

-Instances

-Crafting

-Punish Deaths

-Leveling spells

/Mitsos

agree with all of this apart from dropping 1/3, Mir is full of babies, they will spit out their dummies upon dropping items. Other then that one point your pretty much spot on.

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
1, a reasonable level that is the goal for everyone say 50. Things tend to stop and the max level even 6 months after level 50 will only be level 55.

2, NEW skills or different layout of skills. Change them about a bit. Let everyone experience the new skills not just the 14 hours per day people.

3, no cash shop. Nothing that affects the game play at least.

4, no cave teleports.

5, give the classes a role. Much like pokemon, each class should have its weakness and strength. Warrior>Wizard>Tao>Warrior.

---------- Post Merged at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:13 AM ----------

6, levelling skills. Thereally is not point. Skill level up should be granted when you reach that level, not once you have afk` 12 hours.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Developing the OP ideas and taste for solo playing, how about mir without guilds, without possibility to group? Or if grouping would be allowed, how about if there was some distinct penalty for when pple grp up? Doesn't that make sense? The idea is that pple would not grp to rake in exp when leveling, they would grp only to defeat some boss and even then it would be made that the bigger grp, the higher penalty of some kind, even affecting (lowering) effectiveness of spells, skills...

I like when mir is full featured by which I mean there are all those sideline entertaining things like casino, lottery, Mystery cave (which finally got added to Chronicles server but with stupid euro admission times), more places like Ghoul Cave (but better opening times again, on euro it was stupid), Connecting paths, the more the better, some could be made very challenging to pass through - no RTs - (I still remember char porcelain being (perhaps) first on Phoenix server to make it through between ST & Sabuk (in those days as we all know, it was very much limited how many pots we could pack along) - very much liked hidden entrances in SW, should be more like that all around mir caves, there is nothing more disappointing than finding a doorway deep in some cave and it does nothing, is not active. I is exciting to map out where all those connecting paths lead, could be secret entrances on all sides to it also, or make one visible entrance someplace as a hint). One point of CPaths is mixing of mobs from connected caves which can make for some very interesting hunting. It could be that the mix would go from almost zero to hundred % - leaving ST by CP you would get only ST mobs but as you came closer to ZT for example, you would more Zumas until at ZT the ST mobs would almost vanish and all would be ZT mobs. There could be other mobs mixed in as well as sprinkling on the cake, even some stray midboss with irregular spawning time LOL

There was more of these little features in mir, can't recall them all, some as I said could be developed into bigger things. It makes mir more than just strait leveling to next armour point (22/33/40 etc). Speaking more fully featured mir, with all kinds of trimming, I like the idea above about skill books, that to get skill level 2, you would actually need to get in drops skill book of that level. So instead of single book for a skill as it is now, there would be three books.
As to AFK skill leveling, I am not quite dead set against it but providing town trainers goes too far IMO. I don't want to be making some dreaming suggestions but how about making all towns 'no skill leveling zones'. In addition if that could be implemented, how about limiting some skill leveling to caves only and moreover to caves that are appropriate to the char level (so you couldn't go level '33' skill to Oma cave, for example) But it should be individual, I recall leveling warrior SD skill outdoor on small mobs in Mongchon, as that is skill which you don't use often, more exactly you don't need to use it often and leveling it while hunting would take ages, most folks would never level it to max if they didn't make it a point to level it 'artificially'. Even town leveling might be ok as it adds to the atmosphere of town life, I think some pple would miss it, but trainers are silly.

There should be more caves in BC style by which I mean caves that are, or that give a sense of being spread wide on one level, not floors that go deeper and deeper. I am not sure if others actually see it as I do but in BC all caves to me are on the same level, it is achieved by those transition places and by the way caves are interconnected in many ways. From euro times, 'BC is mir' in my eyes. Also, I suppose it is OK to have those geometrical caves like ST WT, ZT, PT... but they don't provide as rich, varied gameplay as those caves with irregular wall with all kinds of nooks and all that which allows for various strategies. Caves like BC take time to figure them out so you don't get lost in them and that makes it all the more interesting. You pretty well can't get lost in those geometrical caves that are stacked and with fairly simple door logic.

Mir has three kinds of players, one kind puts in punishing hours and stamina to level up as fast and as high as it gets, second kind are after fairly high level but premium is put on getting rich in gold and have best items possible and third kind don't get either, they sort of like to potter about mir lands, they typically stay within range of levels that mir sort of provides balance for, they chat and tame mobs even if that later is considered ineffective but the hard nosed levelers who also don't spend much time chatting... I'd like server that caters a lot to those pple of the third kind or at least doesn't forget about them, leaving mir features for levels under 40 bare because all are just chasing 40+ when the game is considered to start.

I don't want to see cave teleports, better compromise is to make it easy to get at least some kind of basic transport, like horses on Chronicles that every noob that does quest gets it. And other riding animals could be made faster etc. that you can get later on with more effort.

Last edited: