[Legend of Mir] What would you expect from a modern Legend of Mir?

smoochy boys on tour

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
And when I say "modern" I mean a new Legend of Mir made from the scratch.

I've been thinking about it a lot for the last few years and I have a lot of ideas mostly about how the gameplay itself should be.

So, what would you like to see?

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
A high rate with hundreds of quests and items to collect. Plenty of caves and bosses to camp and PK for.
PK and SAFE caves for those that dont wish to kill or be killed (remove drops and lower exp from the safe cave though)
an active, friendly team of people constantly working on the files and that are not just in it for the donations.

DeadSouls

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 3, 2008
You can't cater for everyone. Do you mean a whole new game based on LoM or reworking everything from lom3/2 ?

But any of the above would need, Both solo AoE and group grinding, powerful items, low exp, lots of mobs to blast away. Drop's; something to hunt for or grind for, Quests but creative ones not just kill X amount of mobs. Safety and danger in terms of Pk, a reason for guilds to fight, i.e boss spawns, Wall wars. Balanced classes. Original Mir towns for nostalgia trips, Guild rewards. Something to build/create/make crafting if you will. A penalty for pking but nothing major, with a reason to pk. Content, no corruption. Events but nothing to advantageous for the event player. Items mix of old items and new ones. Fast paced, velo on weapons, fast casting for all skills.

Well thats what i like anyway ;]

Last edited:

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
Siege engines for castles such as rams, ballistae, catapults, breakable walls, siege towers you can construct and destroy allowing players to go over walls.

Take a look at dark age of camelot, alot of great pvp mechanics.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

DeadSouls

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 3, 2008
I'm talking about an hypothetically new game.

Have you tried Blade and Soul? theres a few p servers out and thats probs the closet modern mmo to mir 3, but its only close because its Asian style/theme only.

Stavros

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Siege engines for castles such as rams, ballistae, catapults, breakable walls, siege towers you can construct and destroy allowing players to go over walls.

guild wars 2 then

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
DAOC pioneered frontier battles guild wars just ripped off every succesful idea and mashed it into on bastardized game.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I'm talking about an hypothetically new game.

Why are you asking on LoM forum then? If as you intimate it wouldn't even be based on Mir? And shouldn't you post your own ideas, those you chiseled over the years as you said?

Last edited:

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
Why are you asking on LoM forum then? If as you intimate it wouldn't even be based on Mir?

Because maybe they are trying to modernise LoM?

Any aspect of LOM development is welcomed in my eyes, no need to shoot him down :P

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I hope any such effort won't be stopped by not quite positive post I made.

The OP query is too vague IMO, modernizing could mean making it 3d, it could mean graphic 'improvements' which would give photo quality to chars, maps, both stupid IMO - which is not to say that graphics couldn't be improved. Game view could be larger, even full screen on today's monitors, to allow view of wider area - computers and internet are beefy enough nowadays to handle that (to keep track of more mobs in player view without lagging) but I suppose the game as such as it is wouldn't utilize that bigger view.

I would like to see besides caves maps where you would wade waist deep in water, fight water mobs like sharks, piranhas, water dragons surfacing from water, even swimming should be possible (various new items for that including air breathing masks...), there should be islands/lands reachable only by swimming (maybe timber could be used to build rafts of various kinds to sail to far out lands, fighting mobs spawned out of water attacking the raft/chars on it, there could be diving into a maze of water flooded tunnels which would lead to caverns with mobs, you could be attacked in the tunnels by water monsters, if your air would be used up you would die... there would be items holding air or maybe third indicator besides HP/MP showing how much air you got in lungs... and you would be able to dive for longer if your air supply would be larger by training diving skills, there would be swimming skills.

Whenever I see zombies in mines, I think we should have 'egyptian' theme on some maps, with pyramids, looting sarcophagus with Pharaohs as bosses, Egyptian gods as mobs and bosses (like those pple with birdheads, ptah's), riding on chariots towed by one or two horses, fighting with spears while riding them (mobs would run away until you caught up with them and hit them once, then they would turn on you, some would keep on running away and you would need better horses to be able to hunt them down, kill them), conducting wars while riding on chariots...

Last edited:

JoeS

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 15, 2009
And when I say "modern" I mean a new Legend of Mir made from the scratch.

I've been thinking about it a lot for the last few years and I have a lot of ideas mostly about how the gameplay itself should be.

So, what would you like to see?

I imagine Mir with Diablo 3 graphics and same camera angle except further away.

Game play needs to stay true to mir with a single world for everyone. Same game play systems like drops, pl drops, guilds, gems destroying items, static bosses, etc

IMO the game systems and 2.5D graphics are what make Mir the game it is, changing to 3D or different systems is no longer Mir.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Have you tried Blade and Soul? theres a few p servers out and thats probs the closet modern mmo to mir 3, but its only close because its Asian style/theme only.

I'm not looking for any game to play.

Why are you asking on LoM forum then? If as you intimate it wouldn't even be based on Mir? And shouldn't you post your own ideas, those you chiseled over the years as you said?

I posted it in the general MMORPG forum. I'm free to post about any game.

Why shoud I tell my ideas? I will only if I want to, as anyone here.

Because maybe they are trying to modernise LoM?

Any aspect of LOM development is welcomed in my eyes, no need to shoot him down :P

Well, I'm actually not trying no modernise LoM. It's been my first and I still like it and I don't think there's any other game like LoM.

I'm not in the game industry but the company I work for has a few small game projects, nothing to do with LoM at all. I'm also studying so no time for game developing :(

Anyway, a modern MMORPG Mir like is not a joke. It requires time, a lot of development and a lot of money. I can't say I wouldn't like to do something like that but it won't happen in the near future. Maybe some day... (anyone can dream, right?)

What I might develop soon is a single player 2D game based on LoM universe or at least with similar mechanics. It would look like the old 16 bit MMORPG, something like this:

MxBCiKu.png

I hope any such effort won't be stopped by not quite positive post I made.

The OP query is too vague IMO, modernizing could mean making it 3d, it could mean graphic 'improvements' which would give photo quality to chars, maps, both stupid IMO - which is not to say that graphics couldn't be improved. Game view could be larger, even full screen on today's monitors, to allow view of wider area - computers and internet are beefy enough nowadays to handle that (to keep track of more mobs in player view without lagging) but I suppose the game as such as it is wouldn't utilize that bigger view.

I would like to see besides caves maps where you would wade waist deep in water, fight water mobs like sharks, piranhas, water dragons surfacing from water, even swimming should be possible (various new items for that including air breathing masks...), there should be islands/lands reachable only by swimming (maybe timber could be used to build rafts of various kinds to sail to far out lands, fighting mobs spawned out of water attacking the raft/chars on it, there could be diving into a maze of water flooded tunnels which would lead to caverns with mobs, you could be attacked in the tunnels by water monsters, if your air would be used up you would die... there would be items holding air or maybe third indicator besides HP/MP showing how much air you got in lungs... and you would be able to dive for longer if your air supply would be larger by training diving skills, there would be swimming skills.

Whenever I see zombies in mines, I think we should have 'egyptian' theme on some maps, with pyramids, looting sarcophagus with Pharaohs as bosses, Egyptian gods as mobs and bosses (like those pple with birdheads, ptah's), riding on chariots towed by one or two horses, fighting with spears while riding them (mobs would run away until you caught up with them and hit them once, then they would turn on you, some would keep on running away and you would need better horses to be able to hunt them down, kill them), conducting wars while riding on chariots...

My post is not vague, I'm just asking for opinions to see what people would like to see.
Who said anything about 3D? Pillars of Eternity is a new 2D game and it's awesome. Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, LoL are 3D games and are looking great. I'm not talking about graphics here anyway.

I imagine Mir with Diablo 3 graphics and same camera angle except further away.

Game play needs to stay true to mir with a single world for everyone. Same game play systems like drops, pl drops, guilds, gems destroying items, static bosses, etc

IMO the game systems and 2.5D graphics are what make Mir the game it is, changing to 3D or different systems is no longer Mir.

I agree with you. The gameplay is what makes LoM what it is.

DeadSouls

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 3, 2008
Not that it matters but you were a tad vague at first as to what input you were looking for,

Modern Mir3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpswAScZjwI but you've probs already seen this as its 3 years old.

But no one will play a modern Mir3/mir4.

The only way it would still even be liked by mir 3 fans, if it was in the diablo3/path of exile style UI/graphics gameplay, with mir skills, maps, mobs, bosses etc etc, but thats not the input you want but its the only input that can be given from your question.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You should have posted your ideas up front (as you did now) and then I wouldn't even bother to reply. By vague I mean you didn't say what you mean by modernizing, that's too wide term into which everything fits. Like Shanda modernized mir and probably other asian companies did too, problem is mir2 players didn't like it, same as they didn't like mir3 when it came out.