Technical term for Universal block

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I can't for the life of me remember the proper technical term for universal blocks for things such as a proxy or keyword blocking.

For example, if i wanted to block netflix and any association with the word you would write it like this...

*.netflix.*

What is the technical term for the * symbols?

This for example would block www.netflix.com as the term mentioned is within the phrase (Or in this case, website) being blocked.

Having a complete brain block and just cannot remember the proper term, or seem to be able to google it either lol....

It's called a Universal rule for Firewalls, but there is another term that is just lost...

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I can't for the life of me remember the proper technical term for universal blocks for things such as a proxy or keyword blocking.

For example, if i wanted to block netflix and any association with the word you would write it like this...

*.netflix.*

What is the technical term for the * symbols?

This for example would block www.netflix.com as the term mentioned is within the phrase (Or in this case, website) being blocked.

Having a complete brain block and just cannot remember the proper term, or seem to be able to google it either lol....

It's called a Universal rule for Firewalls, but there is another term that is just lost...

Who would want to block Netflix! Poor example, I am ashamed of you.

Edit:
Unless your missus wants to Netflix and chill 24/7 and doesn't realise it means cheeky time. / or she's getting too into it and its becoming a problem for your chap.

wjkpv54klmdrlonfhb790wcbqoneb0ruodmwzq4bkbz5y8n9r05t2yab2y91f6hp.jpg