Website copying/ripping

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Has anyone used HTTrack before?

Trying to copy a website, it downloads all the files ok and the site seems to work fine when I view it locally, however when I upload to my ftp it's missing all of the css/formatting, so is basically a white page with text and some images

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I don't mind having a look if you give me the css, if you got a screenshot of how it should look then I can probably just remake it.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
It is a wordpress site, should that make a difference? I don't need the wp functionality or anything, just need a temporary copy of the existing site basically

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Hmmm I'm not sure, you said it worked locally? I'd assume any results you had locally would be evident once uploaded. Obviously HTTrack can't pull down the php files or database entries, but as you said you don't need any of that.

Are you just after the text from the WP site, or the actual style / theme. because a lot of it won't be accessible (also depends on your scan depth on HTTrack).

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Well I already have the text, it's just missing all of the styling. It's just odd that it all works locally??

I'll send you a screenshot in a min

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess perhaps that has to do with the ftp mode uploading, whether your ftp program is set to upload as binary or something else. I am no expert on these things but I know about it. In your place I'd try changing that setting in ftp program to something else it offers. Another solution might be to compress the local site to a rar or zip and upload that and expand in the destination if that can be done there. You could compress it to self-extracting rar (.exe) so you don't need to have rar program running on the remote server to uncompress.

Last edited:

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Index.html is looking for wp-content/themes/Cater-Hire/style.css.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Fix from Samuel

Add <link rel="stylesheet" href="wp-content/themes/Cater-Hire/css/layout.css" type="text/css"> to top of each page

Works ^_^

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
damn he got there before me!!! I literally just did that ... guess I will cancel my private message ¬.¬

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
damn he got there before me!!! I literally just did that ... guess I will cancel my private message ¬.¬

I knew you were on the verge of cracking it, I thought I would steal your thunder.

Sam