Gaming pc advise

Eddie Strike

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2010
don't buy a prebuilt pc. you can get more for ur money if u build urself.

get a gtx 970 and i5 cpu 8 gigs ram.

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire

This. Haven't bought a prebuilt in about 15 years now. Wouldn't ever buy one again. Building it yourself gives you more bang for your buck.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

To be fair though, £500 is a good price

I'm at £645 using cheapest materials on your suggested build

Last edited:

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
To be fair though, £500 is a good price

I'm at £645 using cheapest materials on your suggested build

If you've got the know how (and lets face it, you don't need much any anymore) to build a PC, you can build the same spec for £441.55.

Edit: You slipped your cheeky edit in while I was posting, lets see your part list!

Last edited:

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
- Replace the HDD with an SSD, 2 TB is simply too much...you would (Or should) never use it all as a gamer. Primary space should be for the games to run from, HDD to be used for additional secondary storage for **** (Such as Music/Movies etc). Unless you plan on installing 30 odd games, a 512 SSD will be plenty and probably similar price nowadays (Still worth it, even if a little extra)

- AMD have tendancies to fry early in life due to over heating. Either get some decent liquid cooling, or simply go for Intel Processors. I have heard AMD have improved upon this, but having fried 5 in the past in the space of 2 years, i'm reluctant to try them again.

- Graphics cards you don't really ever want to cheap out on. GTX 980 Ti is your best option, following closely with GTX 980 as in comparisom and for the price differemce, the 960 is a joke....and for the love of god, stay away from Zotac lol. EVGA from experience is the better model, but someone elses opinion may differ.

Rest seems ok, or have no suggestions on. Personally I never have problems with Motherboards, casing or memory regardless of the make.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
- AMD have tendancies to fry early in life due to over heating. Either get some decent liquid cooling, or simply go for Intel Processors. I have heard AMD have improved upon this, but having fried 5 in the past in the space of 2 years, i'm reluctant to try them again.

I'm sorry but what the **** are you doing to your AMD chips to make them "fry"?

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
General consensus on any sort of budget says you should avoid a 980. They are like 5-10 percent better than a 970 but 30-40 percent more expensive.

And most will tell you a 390 is better than a 970. I own a 970 and it's a great card but I do quite fancy a 390. 8gb vram makes it look hugely more attractive regardless.

Binary

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Dec 23, 2015
Excuse me while I neglect the original posters budget and suggest high end gear.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Everyone has suggested but forgot to ask the main question.. what games do you play?

While the 970 is a cracking card it might be too much for your budget to build.. i would defo say try and go with an i5 at least.. a K version would be much better as you can get a better cooler down the line and overclock them easily to around 4.5Ghz which will last you for years, i also wouldnt skimp on a decent motherboard either as it will benefit you down the line when you want to clock your cpu up. My suggestion would be to have a look on www.AVforums.com at the classified ads, second hand parts but most still come with a transferable warranty , you could even get a full build on there and get a lot more for your money.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/custom-pc-with-lcd.2016936/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/gaming-pc-4790-8gb-gtx-780.2008439/

Something along the lines of these.. decent setups, the second one is a mess right enough.. whoever built that needs shot. The first one is decent could add in a card and you've got a good setup.

Always worth keeping an eye out tho