Request Recommend a VPS/Dedicated Hosting company

smoochy boys on tour

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Greetings once again all.

I am looking into getting a VPS or Dedicated server for a mir server and before I purchase one from 1and1 or HeartInternet, i wanted to ask you guys/gals.

So, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or even referal links that may benefit them for a company that provides decent enough services at resonable prices.

Any experiances youve had with your suggestion would also be apperciated :)

Thanks in Advance for any assistance.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
if your getting a mir server get one with ddos protection, i run a small server and even that gets attacked.

i rent my server from soyoustart which is a cheaper parent company of OVH

mine costs £60 a month for a ddos protected server, but the 60 also includes the OS licence

Upvote 0

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml

Even cheaper than SoYouStart but still hosted by OVH.

You're restricted to 1IP address with these (I think) they've still got ddos protection. Just bare in mind, unless you already have a legitimate product key for windows server, then there will be a £25ish charge on top of which ever you buy for the windows license.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Thank you all for the responses,
I got a VPS from OVH that appears to do the job for a mir test server and all works fine, no lag etc.

In the event the server gets to a level i would be happy to make it live, I will probably get a dedicated server from SoYouStart, again thanks for the responses.

Upvote 0

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Thank you all for the responses,
I got a VPS from OVH that appears to do the job for a mir test server and all works fine, no lag etc.

In the event the server gets to a level i would be happy to make it live, I will probably get a dedicated server from SoYouStart, again thanks for the responses.

what did you go for?
Highlighted.

Upvote 0

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
For a game server, I would probably say from guessing,

MC-32Intel i7-4790K
i7-4790K
4c/8t
4,0 / 4,4 GHz
32 GB of RAM
DDR3 1333 MHz
2 x240GB SSD SOFT
icn-3600s-high.png

£48.99 excl. VAT/month

Buy now

Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I realize that not everybody can get some home internet package of near commercial grade but those who can, wouldn't it be cheaper to serve from home connection? Especially given if you got a server machine already (since that is non-negligible one-time or upfront cost?).
Only thing is how realistic it is that you would be able to protect your IP from DDOS attacks or at least make it resistant? Not sure if one of those free linux firewalls out there that you run on dedicated hardware would be up to it (like ClearOS).

If you go with rental hosts, you have lower initial outlay but over time it adds up and if at your location you can get beefy internet connection and maybe have a decent server hardware already...

Upvote 0

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
I realize that not everybody can get some home internet package of near commercial grade but those who can, wouldn't it be cheaper to serve from home connection? Especially given if you got a server machine already (since that is non-negligible one-time or upfront cost?).
Only thing is how realistic it is that you would be able to protect your IP from DDOS attacks or at least make it resistant? Not sure if one of those free linux firewalls out there that you run on dedicated hardware would be up to it (like ClearOS).

If you go with rental hosts, you have lower initial outlay but over time it adds up and if at your location you can get beefy internet connection and maybe have a decent server hardware already...

no firewall @ your home is gonna be able to do anything against you getting ddos'd
the problem with a ddos is that the amount of traffic > the amount your internet connection can handle.
only way you can protect yourself from a ddos, is if your isp puts a firewall on their devices to protect you before it even leaves towards your home.

as for being cheaper to host at home: yes it's cheaper> except you also cant do anything with your own internet (like if you where to watch some youtube or download a game or whatever, it'd lag all your users )

Upvote 0

gamehay

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 28, 2016

Upvote 0