Sleeping Tablets

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
The kind of obsession most people exert in online gaming and similar communities is a conduit for people who suffer with attention deficit. I used to think it was just a load of BS, for stupid people, and was categorised by all those spazzy hyper kids in school who just needed a firm back of the hand. Since properly researching about it I quickly changed that opinion.

Scientifically it's pretty simple. Most normal people are 'rewarded' with dopamine in their brains when they do almost any activity, they are stimulated from all aspects, albeit at different levels, of life and that stimulation drives progressive behavior. If you have the likes of ADD/ADHD that wiring is different, and it becomes exponentially harder to focus, finish or really 'do' anything productive. Be it via procrastination, impulsively chasing instant-reward stimulation (video games, TV, drugs, alcohol, extreme sports) and never really understanding why that makes your life feel complete but everything else is climbing a mountain. And then confusing the **** out of yourself how you're capable of staying up until 6am researching or learning something completely random and bullshit but be so focused on it nothing else matters (hyper-focus).

If you nail a good handful of these symptoms it's worth checking out:

• You feel like you've got a million and one thoughts going on every second of the day and can never 'switch off'
  • Takes you longer to go to sleep, your sleep is disrupted, sometimes you can't get to sleep for hours on end, or avoid sleeping because you know you'll have to lay their for an hour first. Often because you're thinking about all the things you want to do tomorrow that you never will
  • You hardly ever finish projects but enjoy the idea of them, creating them, coming up with ideas
  • Distracted easily
  • You're actually quite good in a crisis (people with these conditions tend to be ****ing great when the adrenaline is flowing. Think of people like Richard Branson, famous ADHDer, has faced situations that would crush most multiple times and come out of the wash.
  • People may call you lazy and you probably doubt yourself, have low self-worth and feel frustrated that you can't just take the responsibilities in life that you need to. Everyone else can, what the **** is up with that? Well, maybe you're not actually lazy. Lazy people don't INTEND and honestly believe they are going to do something, that's not being lazy. Being lazy is being content with not doing something, remember that.
  • You feel like you're never living up to your potential
  • You can 'hyperfocus' and spend hours doing something, completely ignoring everything around you because you are deeply stimulated by something that is giving you that instant mental reward. That's the closest you can get to normality.
  • Tendency to get restless and want change in life, relationships, work, school.
  • Trouble listening to people for extended periods of time, trouble focusing on learning when being instructed, etc.
  • You live in a state of chronic procrastination. Not like Sally from work who didn't do the dishes last night because she wanted to watch strictly. I mean putting everything off, literally everything, until you're in danger of being called out on it or some big **** is going to hit a fan. Then it's a mad rush, and you're pumped up, working harder and later than most would in a week in the space of 5 hours.

If you want to have a read of real examples that are strikingly apt, have a look at the top all time on reddit for ADHD https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/top/?sort=top&t=all. Some of the descriptions of how people live their lives with the condition are spot on.

We've only recently stated taking it seriously in adults in England. In 2008 it was added to the NICE guidelines for the NHS, and whilst there are a lot of GPs out there who will dismiss or not know they have a duty to act and educate themselves, it is changing. Still though a lot of GPs will try and not refer you, say adults should've been diagnosed as kids, etc. If you want to skip that lengthy process you can pay £200-£900 depending on where you are for a private assessment and not be treated like a burden. GPs cannot diagnose ADD/ADHD though and have no place making an assessment, so you can kindly but firmly ask for that referral, and if you don't get it or it goes ignored, you can simply keep asking until you find a GP who is clued up (normally those who take an interest in mental health).

There are similarities to other mental disorders too though, so they may want to rule those outs. There's also a lot of co-morbidity so it may be that attention deficit has caused depression/anxiety/insomnia etc.

Just thought I'd smash out a lil cheeky wall of text there in case it helped anyone. Made my life do a 180.

Last edited:

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
The kind of obsession most people exert in online gaming and similar communities is a conduit for people who suffer with attention deficit. I used to think it was just a load of BS, for stupid people, and was categorised by all those spazzy hyper kids in school who just needed a firm back of the hand. Since properly researching about it I quickly changed that opinion.

Scientifically it's pretty simple. Most normal people are 'rewarded' with dopamine in their brains when they do almost any activity, they are stimulated from all aspects, albeit at different levels, of life and that stimulation drives progressive behavior. If you have the likes of ADD/ADHD that wiring is different, and it becomes exponentially harder to focus, finish or really 'do' anything productive. Be it via procrastination, impulsively chasing instant-reward stimulation (video games, TV, drugs, alcohol, extreme sports) and never really understanding why that makes your life feel complete but everything else is climbing a mountain. And then confusing the **** out of yourself how you're capable of staying up until 6am researching or learning something completely random and bullshit but be so focused on it nothing else matters (hyper-focus).

If you nail a good handful of these symptoms it's worth checking out:

• You feel like you've got a million and one thoughts going on every second of the day and can never 'switch off'
  • Takes you longer to go to sleep, your sleep is disrupted, sometimes you can't get to sleep for hours on end, or avoid sleeping because you know you'll have to lay their for an hour first. Often because you're thinking about all the things you want to do tomorrow that you never will
  • You hardly ever finish projects but enjoy the idea of them, creating them, coming up with ideas
  • Distracted easily
  • You're actually quite good in a crisis (people with these conditions tend to be ****ing great when the adrenaline is flowing. Think of people like Richard Branson, famous ADHDer, has faced situations that would crush most multiple times and come out of the wash.
  • People may call you lazy and you probably doubt yourself, have low self-worth and feel frustrated that you can't just take the responsibilities in life that you need to. Everyone else can, what the **** is up with that? Well, maybe you're not actually lazy. Lazy people don't INTEND and honestly believe they are going to do something, that's not being lazy. Being lazy is being content with not doing something, remember that.
  • You feel like you're never living up to your potential
  • You can 'hyperfocus' and spend hours doing something, completely ignoring everything around you because you are deeply stimulated by something that is giving you that instant mental reward. That's the closest you can get to normality.
  • Tendency to get restless and want change in life, relationships, work, school.
  • Trouble listening to people for extended periods of time, trouble focusing on learning when being instructed, etc.
  • You live in a state of chronic procrastination. Not like Sally from work who didn't do the dishes last night because she wanted to watch strictly. I mean putting everything off, literally everything, until you're in danger of being called out on it or some big **** is going to hit a fan. Then it's a mad rush, and you're pumped up, working harder and later than most would in a week in the space of 5 hours.

If you want to have a read of real examples that are strikingly apt, have a look at the top all time on reddit for ADHD https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/top/?sort=top&t=all. Some of the descriptions of how people live their lives with the condition are spot on.

We've only recently stated taking it seriously in adults in England. In 2008 it was added to the NICE guidelines for the NHS, and whilst there are a lot of GPs out there who will dismiss or not know they have a duty to act and educate themselves, it is changing. Still though a lot of GPs will try and not refer you, say adults should've been diagnosed as kids, etc. If you want to skip that lengthy process you can pay £200-£900 depending on where you are for a private assessment and not be treated like a burden. GPs cannot diagnose ADD/ADHD though and have no place making an assessment, so you can kindly but firmly ask for that referral, and if you don't get it or it goes ignored, you can simply keep asking until you find a GP who is clued up (normally those who take an interest in mental health).

There are similarities to other mental disorders too though, so they may want to rule those outs. There's also a lot of co-morbidity so it may be that attention deficit has caused depression/anxiety/insomnia etc.

Just thought I'd smash out a lil cheeky wall of text there in case it helped anyone. Made my life do a 180.

No handily you make it easy.. I knew you were mental back in 04/05.. the fact you now admit to it is amusing to me.. madly hyper in every post.. most likely on some sort of drugs.. I remember your forum.. bet you wish I didn't.. nevermind that's all in the past.. probably get arrested these days.. still fun to see you about sawell, grown up and have a real life with kids etc these days?

Actually, reading the post fully, you've failed.. or about to.. if you have kids stop.. it's not about you.. it's about them.. maybe have a 5 min think about that.. Maybe you need to see what hurt you caused.. and you did plenty to people who weren't very social savvie.. Your forum caused loads of hurt.. I know because I picked up the debris.. You think you can carry on 10 years later.. I'll sit on you permanently.. mainly because I think you are a SHITE.. get the hint..

Last edited:

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
No handily you make it easy.. I knew you were mental back in 04/05.. the fact you now admit to it is amusing to me.. madly hyper in every post.. most likely on some sort of drugs.. I remember your forum.. bet you wish I didn't.. nevermind that's all in the past.. probably get arrested these days.. still fun to see you about sawell, grown up and have a real life with kids etc these days?

Actually, reading the post fully, you've failed.. or about to.. if you have kids stop.. it's not about you.. it's about them.. maybe have a 5 min think about that.. Maybe you need to see what hurt you caused.. and you did plenty to people who weren't very social savvie.. Your forum caused loads of hurt.. I know because I picked up the debris.. You think you can carry on 10 years later.. I'll sit on you permanently.. mainly because I think you are a SHITE.. get the hint..

edgy

Last edited: