Which files to use for first time?

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004
Hi all,

I have looked around the forums trying to figure out which files are best to start out with but I'm still a bit unsure..

Can anyone shed some light as to what the differences are between Crystal, 2.3 and so on, please?
I'm under the impression that Crystal files are probably a good place to start as (i think0 they provide a bit more flexibility with customising quests, npcs and so on. Although, I could be completely wrong!
I'm just wondering if there are things in the Crystal files that do/do not exist in say Ruby or 2.3 / 1.9 - Any help will be appreciated.

I found these links but they don't seem to expand much on my query above, tempted to start off with the 1st link for the Crystal download and guide.

http://www.lomcn.org/forum/showthread.php?92007-Full-Crystal-Files-Download-and-Guide
http://www.lomcn.org/forum/showthread.php?56129-Legend-of-Mir-II-Guides-amp-Links
http://www.lomcn.org/forum/showthread.php?80806-LegendOfMir-II-Guide-How-things-are-done

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post Merged at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:10 PM ----------

P.s
I've posted in this section because it wouldn't allow me to do so under the Server Help forum as I needed to select a 'prefix' - The prefix selector wasn't appearing for some reason and therefore it wouldn't let me submit my thread - feel free to move this post manually if need be.

---------- Post Merged at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Aha, just found this thread by Samuel.. appears as though the Crystal files are the only ones which continue to be updated...?

http://www.lomcn.org/forum/showthre...ailable-files-2014&highlight=comparison+files

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004

Lol, yeah.. noticed that last minute - added it to my original post ;)

I noticed though that 'Auto pot' for example is only supported by Heroes files but this is something that is on Chronicles which I thought used the Apple Ace files? Just trying to understand which ones are a good basis to start with. New to this side of Mir so trying to find my feet.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Lol, yeah.. noticed that last minute - added it to my original post ;)

I noticed though that 'Auto pot' for example is only supported by Heroes files but this is something that is on Chronicles which I thought used the Apple Ace files? Just trying to understand which ones are a good basis to start with. New to this side of Mir so trying to find my feet.

Chronicles are unreleased custom files. Alot of features on that server are not in the original files used

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004
Chronicles are unreleased custom files. Alot of features on that server are not in the original files used

OK.. perhaps I'll just start with Crystal and have a play around with those for now.. although the lack of a crafting system is a bit of a blow.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
OK.. perhaps I'll just start with Crystal and have a play around with those for now.. although the lack of a crafting system is a bit of a blow.

It's easy enough to code a crafting system in, alot of servers currently live / upcoming have added it in themselves

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004
It's easy enough to code a crafting system in, alot of servers currently live / upcoming have added it in themselves

OK, great - as long as there is some form of flexibility with what I can do then that's fine. I just didn't want to download some files to then get so far and be unable to do something later down the line or be restricted so I was just curious to hear from others more experienced on what they believe would be a good place to start.

Cheers

Jamole

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Feb 9, 2004
No one's forcing you. Blimey

Thanks for the useful & helpful comment.

I'm just trying to gather an understanding of the files - after reading Far's comment it appears as though a crafting system is possible which i misunderstood from the comparison thread and instead read it as not supported or possible.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Thanks for the useful & helpful comment.

I'm just trying to gather an understanding of the files - after reading Far's comment it appears as though a crafting system is possible which i misunderstood from the comparison thread and instead read it as not supported or possible.

Thanks for the useful & helpful thread.