Sky Mobile

smoochy boys on tour

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Well like most minor providers (Tesco Mobile, Giffgaff and such) it's using the O2 network infrastructure. The only difference here is price plans and customer service (and who likes Sky customer service?)

Seems like they're focusing their pricing structure more on data rather than minutes though, which is probably attractive to a lot of consumers.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I'm a giffgaff user and honestly, you can't really beat £20 pm for unlimited everything, although the data is up to 6 GB using 4G after using that 6 GB you'll be using 3G (unless unavailable then you'll be on anything but 4G) I don't ever use more than 6 GB a month so I always have 4G connection, never had the need to contact them for anything, never really had a problem with them minus the one case where the network was down for an hour or two in the evening.
Beats paying extortionate prices for a phone and a crappy phone plan.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I'm a giffgaff user and honestly, you can't really beat £20 pm for unlimited everything, although the data is up to 6 GB using 4G after using that 6 GB you'll be using 3G (unless unavailable then you'll be on anything but 4G) I don't ever use more than 6 GB a month so I always have 4G connection, never had the need to contact them for anything, never really had a problem with them minus the one case where the network was down for an hour or two in the evening.
Beats paying extortionate prices for a phone and a crappy phone plan.

You still have to have a phone. So unless you're just sticking with a nokia 3310 you'll probably want to be upgrading every 2 years anyway. So the only difference is you have to pay outright for a sim free phone at full cost, rather than adding it to a month plan.

You might save yourself a few pounds, but it's never anything extraordinary.

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
You still have to have a phone. So unless you're just sticking with a nokia 3310 you'll probably want to be upgrading every 2 years anyway. So the only difference is you have to pay outright for a sim free phone at full cost, rather than adding it to a month plan.

Why do you need to keep ugrading? Giff gaff is completely PAYG - No contract - no upgrades. Get yourself a Refurbed Samsung Galaxy S3 off Music Magpie, i think i got mine at about £60, and that does everything i need. tem viewer, watch films/live tv. You don't need a "Top of the Range" phone as such to get the things you want.

Oh and Ive never trusted contracts anyway, they always stitch you up in some way or another

In all honesty though I wouldn't go for Sky as something on the mobile, I would go for something like NOWTV (Which is pretty much sky anyway) Which has both Live TV and cuts all the crap stuff you dont want.

Thats my opinion :D

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003

As azzi has said, a refurbished phone is more than enough or even buying or being given a friends/family ex-contract phone, hell there's smart phones for under a hundred that'll do what you need these days, you don't need to have the latest phone for the majority of the needs of an average person.
Giffgaff give the freedom of being contract free, it's basically a subscription, you choose to renew or not or even adjust the tariff to suite.
They do sell phones as well but doing that is pretty much having a contract.

Not to mention the 'cash-back' you get for getting others to join and even help on their forums (their form of customer service actually)

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Im not a pleb so dont buy old second hand tech. they may still be capable of the main phone functions, but id much rather have the latest there is available.

just like id not buy a second hand windows xp pc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Im not a pleb so dont buy old second hand tech. they may still be capable of the main phone functions, but id much rather have the latest there is available.

And that's why you see what your buying first (ensure it's working correctly as it should) before you hand over the money surely? unless your a 'pleb' as you say and don't check, also, who'd buy a PC with Windows XP on it, it'd more than likely be a dinosaur.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
exactly my point, id class an s3 as a dinosaur. think i have an s4 somewhere catching dust which is slow as anything and a has tiny screen

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005

Doesn't mean your a pleb because you buy "Old school tech" Im not as fascinated by phones so i dont really take much interest in them at the moment, so why would i need to keep up with the tech? It does what it needs to do and thats that lol, Ain't gonna waste money on something I don't need. Now that would be a pleb move.

Plus if I wanted to have a "bigger screen size" or whatever. I'd buy a tablet, not a phone.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
if you dont have any need for the latest phone thats fair enough. my original point was if you DO and have the option between contractless PAYG and buying your own phone, or going contract, you really dont save much.

sure a contract is money wasted if youre happy with the same phone for many years.

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
All the tech coming out now days around phone VR is pretty cool; if your a true nerdy tech guy you would want to get your hands on this latest stuff and try it out. I currently have a Samsung Note 4 on contract however it's getting old now and i still have like a year left. I wish I'd have bought it out right but never mind that now it still gets the job done.

I'm surprised myself that people still use Sky with its prices. Their mobile plans aren't so bad - I expect mostly loyal customers will be opting for Sky mobile.

@Tai it's true, Sky is using O2's infastructure; do you think in 5 years time (if successful) they will roll out their own mobile infrastructure as they did with broadband?

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/features/sky-mobile-network-five-things-you-need-to-know/
Way back in 2015 it was announced that O2 would be the bedrock of Sky's mobile phone service. So Sky Mobile is what's called an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator).

That means O2 will provide the network infrastructure while Sky will deliver the service to customers.

This is broadly similar to TalkTalk and Tesco’s arrangement with O2 and means Sky will be able to offer extensive coverage and good speeds.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I'm with Vodafone currently as I receive a 30% discount but not even a 90% discount will get me the renew with them. I've had better customer service of a dead dog!

gonna look into different providers soon and with me being with sky for everything else, I better get treat like a bad ass!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Hey now! TBH I've been buying my phones off eBay second hand for the last 10 years. Always gone for mint condition ones and never been disappointed. IPhone 6 would have cost me £600 brand new or more if through a contract but I got mine at the beginning of the year for £275. I'm not the kind of person who needs brand new tech. I see enough of it at work to know it's not worth my pennies.

And I pay £10 pm to giffgaff for 2gb data and 100mins and I rarely use more than 1gb...wifi everywhere. Maybe I need to get out more. Plus I have a work phone for majority of my calls

@tdid I would say there's virtually no chance of that happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 20, 2005
Reading
iPhone 6 and giffgaff £15(4gb)
Does me well, don't download over 4g so the small data Amount isn't a problem. And I never use 1000 minutes barely 100 tbh. Saying that though I do want an upgrade soon purely for more storage