Networking - Two routers, 1 network.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Right, its got to point where I am looking into fixing my network.

Moved house last year, ran Cat6 around all property etc... sadly my parents wouldn't ask BT when installing to move box to central location, instead left it in 1 corner of house, so without the effort of moving it into loft (we live in bungalow), for signal around house, I installed another box in the loft I had...

Image below;
internet.png

The issue is that whenever I connect say my phone onto the TP-LINK its seen as its own network and wont communicate with my Xbox which is fed from the BT HUB, although they both are wired off same 24W switch.

Does anybody know how I can make it so my phone will see the TP as an extension and not a separate network??

TheDayIDie

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Jul 29, 2011
UK
Interesting to see a topic like this come up after doing some networking course a couple of weeks ago. Will be interested to see the outcome.

Can you ping your router to see if it is using a external facing ip address (i think class A or class B) rather than an internal LAN ip.

Also as Jamie has mentioned the DHCP server may need to be disabled on your second router as this could also be causing conflicts.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
As said, make sure the wifi box that you have put upstairs to work as your WirelessAccessPoint has DHCP function disabled. But likely this is not your problem, at most you get IP conflicts :distracted: and internet won't work on some device.
Sometimes wireless clients are separated from the wired ones in the router settings. I'd look in there, also you could be connected to a guest wifi which doesn't provide access to home lan (it is to make it safe for you if you buddies come to your place and want to connect their phones).
But I can't say I quite understand your setup.

Last edited:

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
By the sounds of it you are possibly using the TP-Links WAN port to connect it to the 24W switch, try using one of the other ports in the builtin switch on the TP link instead. Also ensure your DHCP is disabled on the TP link (Assuming your ISP router is dishing out the IPs) Also make sure that the wireless network set up on the TP link is not in an isolation or guest mode..

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
You may be better of using a WiFi extender (some even have ethernet ports) they're a lot cheaper than they used to be, I was going to get one before I moved but don't need one for our new property.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
The TP has to be set as an access point, if it can.

This is all I want ideally, Jamie had a look but I was more of a let down than Moh on Port opening...

---------- Post Merged at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:51 PM ----------

You may be better of using a WiFi extender (some even have ethernet ports) they're a lot cheaper than they used to be, I was going to get one before I moved but don't need one for our new property.

Well I was thinking this, its a bit overkill for just an AP.. can you recommend one? All ones I find are PoE... and I got the Cat6 already wired for the perfect location, just need a new simple "plug and play" unit ideally.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
This is all I want ideally, Jamie had a look but I was more of a let down than Moh on Port opening...

---------- Post Merged at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Well I was thinking this, its a bit overkill for just an AP.. can you recommend one? All ones I find are PoE... and I got the Cat6 already wired for the perfect location, just need a new simple "plug and play" unit ideally.

I never actually got around to checking it out properly, when I'd last looked, it required two plugs but having just googled them, it seems not all of them require that anymore and they are plug & play, it depends on your budget, you can get them as cheap as £15

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I recently had this issue, decided to buy a tplink powerline adaptor, plus I have an extender mid way through my house for wireless devices.

Plug the power line adaptor Near your router, run an Ethernet cable to them both, then plug the other adaptor in your bedroom sockets for instance and just run a Ethernet cable from the port to your Xbox/Pc. Your house electrics work as a path and I receive my full speed.

Can't believe I didn't do it before.

IMG_2602.PNG

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I recently had this issue, decided to buy a tplink powerline adaptor, plus I have an extender mid way through my house for wireless devices.

Plug the power line adaptor Near your router, run an Ethernet cable to them both, then plug the other adaptor in your bedroom sockets for instance and just run a Ethernet cable from the port to your Xbox/Pc. Your house electrics work as a path and I receive my full speed.

Can't believe I didn't do it before.

These transfer via the powerline though, which isn't what I want ideally as it can get interference from xmas lights / other devices, plus if irrc it requires power to be on same circuit, which my room isn't (strange loft extension by previous owner).

I got no issues of Ethernet points, I got enough for 6 hardwired points per room.

I just need a wifi signal that doesn't set itself up as a separate network :(

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Ahh I see, I'm pretty sure my extender didn't have its own network, I just had to log into a website and configure.

IMG_2603.PNG

Maybe one like this that has a pairing option via buttons on the devices. Don't need to use the powerline.

Last edited: