Do you think a Server with.... is better than....?

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Click bait(?) title

So I was wondering...

Do you think a server with a Game Shop would be more successful than a server without a Game Shop?

I define success of a server by population / consistent of user count.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
It sure does even out the playing field and i think a lot of people would like it, a lot of people also enjoy spending money so it's hard to say lol.

What would be the alternative to a game shop?

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
It sure does even out the playing field and i think a lot of people would like it, a lot of people also enjoy spending money so it's hard to say lol.

What would be the alternative to a game shop?

No alternative,

Was just a thought,

Do you get more players staying because people who can't afford don't have problems and fairness.
or
Are there more players who can pay and thus stay longer because they've invested something into a server.

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
I don't think the gameshop makes any difference, the gameshop is there as a way to support the server if you enjoy it and feel like the creator deserves something for their efforts. People leave servers when they find a lack of new things to do, I really enjoyed your server until I realized I had already done it all before.

On a side note, as a casual player I just can't compete with the players who can play 12 hours a day, this alone puts me off ever committing to a server, only a server with a level cap would be able to keep me playing.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Click bait(?) title

So I was wondering...

Do you think a server with a Game Shop would be more successful than a server without a Game Shop?

I define success of a server by population / consistent of user count.

Nah, server without a game shop will last about 10 minutes.

Before the GM Raged quit and commited mass murder on the Mir community.

The days of people making servers for "fun" or a "hobby" are over, people expect a polished product and hours and hours of work. You can't just whack up a set of files and increase the exp like you used to.

Trust... You'd get bare sick of it if you wasn't getting paid. It's like having 100+ children who never agree or want to share.

<SOSO>

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 8, 2012
Nah, server without a game shop will last about 10 minutes.

Before the GM Raged quit and commited mass murder on the Mir community.

The days of people making servers for "fun" or a "hobby" are over, people expect a polished product and hours and hours of work. You can't just whack up a set of files and increase the exp like you used to.

Trust... You'd get bare sick of it if you wasn't getting paid. It's like having 100+ children who never agree or want to share.

Dragon server (15 years ago) had NO gameshop and it lasted abit more thn 10 minutes *cough* years. I dont mind gameshop,as I use it myself...but...there has to be some limitations. Also I would rather play a pay-to-play server thn a server with gameshop. Miss the old d server mir.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
;1054957 said:
Dragon server (15 years ago) had NO gameshop and it lasted abit more thn 10 minutes *cough* years. I dont mind gameshop,as I use it myself...but...there has to be some limitations. Also I would rather play a pay-to-play server thn a server with gameshop. Miss the old d server mir.
dragon server was official and everyone got paid for running it. proving his point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
I don't seem the harm in having the option, those who can afford will and those who can't will earn it.

Plus it's a thankyou to the developers and pretty much game security.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Ok so what about:

GameShop vs Subscription.

For the Subscription method, which of the following for Non-Subscribers do you implement:

Level Cap,
Block Storage
Block TrustMerchant
Block Trading
Block Guilds
Block Groups
Block Shouts

You cannot give any bonus to the subscribers because that turns it into a GameShop/ Package feature.

Last edited:

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Is that in reference to blocking non subscribers from these features?

if that's the case then maybe on a game with a corporate office and a massive team of staff. Not for mir2.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Sounds barbaric.

edit, scrap that, more like Mein Kampf.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Dragon server (15 years ago) had NO gameshop and it lasted abit more thn 10 minutes *cough* years.

You're a special kind of ****ing stupid aint you?

regardingsubscription V Gameshop, Gameshop is better as it enabled people to play for free thus increasing your user count.

IMO, I personally dont play MMO's which are subscription based, or that you have to pay for in general.

As long as you are not selling SuperDc10KMirSword foir £50 then it's not an issue and people who complain about GS's are just ****tards and should be ignored.

Last edited:

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
i dont know about how mir2 players think about donations but i can tell you my point of view on mir3

here on mir3 if a gm put up a game shop he will be slated from all sides that he is money grabber and setted the server up only for money

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
i dont know about how mir2 players think about donations but i can tell you my point of view on mir3

here on mir3 if a gm put up a game shop he will be slated from all sides that he is money grabber and setted the server up only for money

In my honest opinion why would else would anyone put themselve through running a Mir server?

People expecting something for free really grind my gears.

As long as the GS does not effect the balance of a server e.g Pay2win items then I really dont get what people complain about.

Last edited:

Xiler

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2003
I always thought the game shop in mir was rubbish. Its only there to provide an advantage for those that use it bar a few items, but have accepted it as there is little else for server owners to make money from as donations only never work.

Its not like other games where you can provide customization for you character (i.e different colours/skins).

In terms of being successful, for the mir community having one is better. In the end most long term mir servers are just the 100 odd people that have used the game shop to stay in the running and all other players have been left behind/gave up due to the gap that has been created.

Even looking at your own server there would be a huge gulf between a person that has used the buffs and a person that hasnt if they had equal play time. This then flows through into group/guild play and the "casuals" always end up leaving after some amount of time because they cant win.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
In my honest opinion why would else would anyone put themselve through running a Mir server?

People expecting something for free really grind my gears.

As long as the GS does not effect the balance of a server e.g Pay2win items then I really dont get what people complain about.

you have a good point but you cant change players mentality so you must adapt on their needs
i removed famepoints on every experience buff and have a small stone in shop, server doesnt make lots of moneys and it fits my needs to maintain the server alive but atleast usercount keep rocking on

in the end its up to the GameMaster if he wants a long term server or not because game shop give any type of advance from gold/exp bonuses and such as Damage bonus and so on that will have effect on lead of server, because we speak about top 5 as always,
when a new players wants to join a server he always look at Ranking and see the top 5 ( class, exp, level ) to make a opinion if its worth to play or not

i dont want to throw **** on a server or make an advert on my server ( anyway mir2-mir3 is diferent ) but recently i had like 5 new players and since im active gm they reached me and asked if you need to pay for the global shout ( !@ ) because they played a mir2 server before and they needed to pay like 1€ for a !@ shout and wich i find it ridiculous because you imediatly see that GameMasters target a special type of crowd who has money to spend on !@

in the end Mir should not be threated as a incoming bussines because that will divide us more than normally, and might **** ur server up faster :)

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
I think as far as game shops go, the problem I see with servers is that price wise they should offer cheaper item prices. So people get more bang for their money.

Spending 5 USD on a exp potion that lasts a few hours is not a smart investment for my money, but if i could get alot more for that 5$ I would definitely be willing to spend more and buy more.

Ive seen servers offer subscriptions at ridiculous prices like $15.99 a month for a freaking private server. If it was more affordable, I would definitely be into shelling 5.95$ or something realistic like that a month.

Jamie, I think you would make more money long term if you lowered prices. That way players could use more things for a longer amount of time and feel like they are getting value from it. Therefore spending more over time month after month. Same problem with chronicles game shop, things is insanely overpriced. These are private servers, not official servers lol. Stop charging so damn much :P

Its all about that player count.

Last edited: