Usercount

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
So according to the server status user count below we have currently 480 players online playing different servers of Mir2.

I find it crazy that we still have such numbers and that as a community we cannot design one unique "lomcn" server on which attract all the user count.

It would really be exciting to have again 400+ players all online at the same time!

list.png

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Because not everyone likes the same type of rate, or content, or GM.
what he said
why should everyone have to play the same server??
if euro was so good private servers would never have been created.

also there's certain people that are really stubborn and will only play the same thing.. no matter how awesome serverB is, they'll stay loyal to serverA because they've either 1) invested too much money to leave 2) dont wanan start over 3) love the GM

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Even though it will never happen because everybody enjoy different rates, this would be so sick if all the coders pitched in and made some sort of super server, split the $ between all the coders and put some into updating this shitty site :P ( jokes ) would be epic to be on a mir server with 400+ user count aint done that since 1.4 bar the chrons / arcadia opening but that didn't last long.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
I literally was going to do a similar thread not too long ago.

I would say there is easily 500-700 active players on Mir, and even more sitting in the sideline waiting for something to their liking.

It's just all the servers ATM lack content. Server owners seem to think its all about what new features they have coded and totally neglect the actual gameplay.

~HeavenSent~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 9, 2005
Chorley
If the Official Servers opened again tomorrow what do you think would be the user count?

Dragon & Phoenix

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I think the Servers need to pitch in together to make one ultimate Sabuk War....

Each team has a designated leader from community, who is voted on/off, and BOOM.. once a week, LOMCN leaderboard.

Team designation should be automatically set, and yea.. would be sick for 2 wars... then crap but lets do it!!!!!

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
I'd love to work as part of a team with some other successful server owners but it would never work. Ideas and heads will clash and people get greedy

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
People can't even agree on the pros and cons of Sunpot(M) in a new server, how the hell would or could there be a "one size fits all" server.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I recall foggily there was some effort to bring together Dragon and Phoenix servers on some third server for few days for Sabuk war, I even think there was some D&P dueling on some third server but I didn't take part in it if that really took place.
Maybe the idea was that Phoenix accts (with existing chars on it) would be able to log on Dragon server but I think it never materialized (that might have been the idea that Phoenix had low usercount in later years but then GN staff said running two servers didn't cost significantly more than running one and it wasn't worth the work to move the accts over to Dragon. In current scenario something like that might be possible only with servers running the same files? But of course the idea here is to make new server with new accts. I just recalled that history.

IMO such 'common' server would need to be low rate to attract all, especially if it were to last long time. Isn't the highest user count on that list from low to mid rate servers? On HR the later development is geared to the runaway pack of wolves and from the start many features are stripped off because the idea is to get to the 'new' content fast, that is past euro content, and quite many folks who typically raise three chars to levels 40 to 50 and obviously play mir for that classic content would be left in dust, possibly even 'their caves' removed to ease the load on server and their chars automatically awarded catch up levels... and of course such pple would leave and the server would end up with under 100 active accts before long.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
what he said
why should everyone have to play the same server??
if euro was so good private servers would never have been created.

also there's certain people that are really stubborn and will only play the same thing.. no matter how awesome serverB is, they'll stay loyal to serverA because they've either 1) invested too much money to leave 2) dont wanan start over 3) love the GM

But if WeMade didn't make the mistake of putting the MirServer up for download we probably wouldn't be here now.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
But if WeMade didn't make the mistake of putting the MirServer up for download we probably wouldn't be here now.

I never quite understood for example how crystal or marble or other files depend on that parentage? The orig server was programmed in Delphi and that code base was later on recoded to other languages? I must say as a non-programmer that I don't know in what way are the other 'files', like Ruby, Heroes and what not else, including crystal C# and now Marble files, also those file that Chronicles runs on, etc, you mean all that traces back to that single parentage? I thought the various files were due to different leaks but really that is all just guessing on my part. You likely mean by what you say that it started the LOMCN private server community, right?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I never quite understood for example how crystal or marble or other files depend on that parentage? The orig server was programmed in Delphi and that code base was later on recoded to other languages? I must say as a non-programmer that I don't know in what way are the other 'files', like Ruby, Heroes and what not else, including crystal C# and now Marble files, also those file that Chronicles runs on, etc, you mean all that traces back to that single parentage? I thought the various files were due to different leaks but really that is all just guessing on my part. You likely mean by what you say that it started the LOMCN private server community, right?

The "original" sources are all in Delphi, from that people have converted into alternative languages.

Crystal and Marble are both in C#, Ruby, Am2, Dm2, and Heroes are all based off the original Delphi source I believe.

All sources come from the original sources, and various leaks throughout the years have shed more info.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks SmavidDavid, added to your rep, not that you need it :panda:

That conversion to C#, is that like OCR of text that comes out 'so so' and needs to be combed by hand, in places extensively? Doubt though there is any such translating software out there. Or was that done looking at the orig code in one window and writing equivalent lines in C#, or more likely figuring what section of code is supposed to do and then doing it pretty well 'freehand', that is independent coding in C#? In any case must have been tons of hours, thanks Far and spol. (as I think he was not doing it single handed or...?)

I am curious how things work even if in this case when I look at the source code it is all Greek to me.

I suppose current Korean mir2 still runs on the same code as euro mir did?

BTW the one big server could be done in the fashion where somebody would run it (like Far wanted to have test server last year except it wouldn't be test) and let others have hand at designing parts of the game, like somebody would pitch in with quests only, another with events, still another would add caves, that sort of collaboration.
It should be ultra low rate server so that it would take similar time that it took pple to reach levels like on euro in 2001, like lev33 in one year (ok, perhaps that's overboard but definitely not in a week or even several weeks only. Level 1 would need to kill hens because with deer you could almost certainly get killed, not even speaking about scarecrows, you get the drift, to replicate that 2001 feeling, to make it not easy just to start character in game but quite challenging. It could even start without minimap, or some new added maps would not have minimap until you did some quest to switch it on for that map. Low rate can be boring but ultra low rate I'd bet would not.

Ultra low rate would also be the most forgiving for weekend warriors, you wouldn't get that feeling of missing train, some folks would probably play alonside their current old server and the big community would compensate for it being ultra low rate (that would be drag with low usercount).

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
You need to remember on early euro we didnt have all these caves probably say ZT was hardest cave until spider patch so everyone leveld slow because huge amount of people hunting same place (Mainly BugCave) also items play a huge part Dragon rings was expensive and rare and part of a ultimate kit if you couldnt afford Power Rings now days they are classed as shop items,

Where you wouldnt dare hunting in decent geat because of loosing duration meaning it used to take longer to kill monsters over now.

Also having gear which is upgraded either from gems or orbs or even dropped was extremely rare.on euro now its common place. If people didnt get added items it would now be classed as unfair bugged.

Problem is that the game is extremely unbalanced whether you agree or not, balancing of skills and items need to happen constantly all i see now from chron marble or any.other.server is this class is weak or this.class is op.

Server Owners needs to do more testing rather then just putting a server online and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
It would be awesome, but it won't happen for the reasons already stated by others

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, and discussion like this one might make them or somebody think. That's also the reason I threw into the fray that idea of 'ultra low rate', given I myself am not able to put together any sort of server which more than two pple would play. Ultra would be interesting because it would be a challenge and also the very opposite of high rate, extremes on both ends are likely to pick more interest, than low or med rates.

Re those Dragon Power rings thing, that's true but not all is lost, these days we would spice it up with those common, rare...mythical categories and since leveling would be slow, we could have more armours at midpoints between current ones (when you get new armour), skills could be doubled by making variants of them so you get them more frequently - like warrior gets thrusting skill of which there could be still higher level second skill book called SuperThrusting that would make your skill more potent or increased range a bit or something, for all skills (ok, tao gets too many skills as it is, would be more relevant for warrior class). Perhaps skill levels would need to be unlocked by doing a quest in some higher level cave where it takes some daring and or effort to complete at the level when you could start it.

I'd like to see 1F of caves mobs of certain difficulty and certain exp points, then each successive floor deeper in would have these same mobs (with some additional mob variety like euro had to be sure) but more difficult and give more experience points. When I say ultra low rate to make it like euro experience from 2001, I mean to make it a challenge to start a character on such server even for todays mir skilled alecks (first thing you get killed by deer in border and yetis will give you creeps till you get levels in like it was in 2001 euro (well we didn't get killed by deer but what I mean it needs to be made challenging again to adjust for our todays' skills knowledge and all that), which means also husbanding scarce gold so you can go splurge leveling for one night, to replicate to some extent that heroic journey to 22 and then to 33, 40 make those a mile points again.
I got plenty of ideas (but still doable I think) but lack skills in putting together a server like this. And anyway, if there should be some server collaboration like this, I'd put my penny on some low rate rather then some high and on ultra low more than on ultra high. If nothing else, it would give various parties decent time to put in their part of mir. And how the contributions would be split, they'd have to decide among themselves (like if somebody would take care of maps, caves for levels 40-50, or whatever divison.

Last edited: