Fiveheroes.net - the new LOMCN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
It's also pretty confusing since Sam wasn't in charge of the AceM2 files and I'm sure the call to not release in the end came from me.

Still don't regret that decision mind you. Mir as a community changed once Private Servers started introducing GameShops. Didn't really see the point in seeing other people profit from minimal effort on their side. It just took me a while to see that
I have nothing against what you've done, and agree with the decision, as long as the server is ran properly then it makes much more sense.
1 properly ran server with closed source files is much better than 10 public source files ran by idiots just wanting to make a quick buck.
However a lot of the community didn't see it that way, you promised a release, got everyone to test, then changed your mind. That felt like a big blow to the mir community at the time as there was NO good files to use.. TDs were hacked to ****, crystal wasn't anywhere near ready (or was it even released?), heroes were ****.
Imo you should have just said it was a closed source from the start.. it wouldn't of made chronicles any less succesful.
Anyway, this was 3-4 years ago, so really doesnt matter, and I don't really care, it was just an example. As I said I aint bashing you Sam etc, just an example of how certain people are treated differently

I'll refer to my previous post...

With regards, Chronicles, I don't really see the connection.. It's not a competition in who can give back the least..

Selling files has never been allowed, that's the bottom line here.

Please quote me where I have said I'm selling my files???? Please provide proof where I have actively sold my files and/or had discussions with people regarding selling my files?

You do not own the Crystal files, you did not create the crystal files, did you even contribute any source code towards the crystal files? Show me the rules to say I cannot take the files closed source.

Heck 10 years ago I took the DM2 files closed source and created servers.. so did many other people including TD who then had complete monopoly of all servers.

Again until you can actually show me a proper answer where I've broken these rules you should remove / close this thread..

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Forever lurking

Never saying hello

Please quote me where I have said I'm selling my files???? Please provide proof where I have actively sold my files and/or had discussions with people regarding selling my files?

Why are we doing this?

Bon said:
I'm offering the FiveHeroes server files for rental
Bon said:
When the server goes live, a fee will be charged for the rental of the dedi and files.

Bon said:
You do not own the Crystal files, you did not create the crystal files, did you even contribute any source code towards the crystal files? Show me the rules to say I cannot take the files closed source.

No one said that.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have nothing against what you've done, and agree with the decision, as long as the server is ran properly then it makes much more sense.
1 properly ran server with closed source files is much better than 10 public source files ran by idiots just wanting to make a quick buck.
However a lot of the community didn't see it that way, you promised a release, got everyone to test, then changed your mind. Imo you should have just said it was a closed source from the start.. it wouldn't of made chronicles any less succesful.
Anyway, this was 3-4 years ago, so really doesnt matter

When AceM2 was being developed/announced and in the beginning stages of testing a release was always planned. While I understand people being upset with the change in plans I still feel it was the right call both for us and for Mir in general.

Chronicles didn't even exist as an idea at that time. It wasn't until after I quit AceM2 that Sam decided he would rather make and run his own server than manage AceM2.

Just want to clear up some things here as I felt Sam was being unfairly attached to decisions that weren't made by him.

Going back on-topic I do think it's interesting what you're doing. I don't believe LOMCN is entitled to a monopoly on the Mir Community so I don't have an issue with someone competing and trying something new. Competition can only be a good thing especially in a small community such as ours. It should spur people on to improve things.

--edit--

Hi Tai!!

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Why are we doing this?
A rental fee for a dedicated host.. how is that selling the files?
The files just to happen to come with the dedi host. I don't see the problem.

Don't see you or LOMCN offering free dedi hosts to people. Im so sorry for trying to help the community grow and create more servers

I miss the old days where there used to be a huge list of servers to choose from and they were all about fun and showing your own unique ideas for mir

edit: I'll quite happily retract my offer, to be honest its causing me a lot of extra work for nothing in return, if its also going to cause me all this hassle and "bad rep" then its simply not worth it.

[FONT=&quot]
When AceM2 was being developed/announced and in the beginning stages of testing a release was always planned. While I understand people being upset with the change in plans I still feel it was the right call both for us and for Mir in general.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Chronicles didn't even exist as an idea at that time. It wasn't until after I quit AceM2 that Sam decided he would rather make and run his own server than manage AceM2. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just want to clear up some things here as I felt Sam was being unfairly attached to decisions that weren't made by him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Going back on-topic I do think it's interesting what you're doing. I don't believe LOMCN is entitled to a monopoly on the Mir Community so I don't have an issue with someone competing and trying something new. Competition can only be a good thing especially in a small community such as ours. It should spur people on to improve things.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]!
I wasn't really about at the time, but chronicles seemed to bring a huge amount of life back into the mir community and thus, the LOMCN community as well. It was a good decision, and thankfully we had crystal to follow which also allowed everyone else to have a chance.

If it wasn't for crystal files, I never would have returned to Mir. The development side of Mir is what interests me, and learning C# and being able to do all the things I couldnt 10 years ago is awesome.

I've ALWAYS given credit where credit is due and never claimed any of the crystal files as my own.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
MiloFoxburr said:
Going back on-topic I do think it's interesting what you're doing. I don't believe LOMCN is entitled to a monopoly on the Mir Community so I don't have an issue with someone competing and trying something new. Competition can only be a good thing especially in a small community such as ours. It should spur people on to improve things.

Actually I think we kind of are entitled. We haven't kept this place running for all this time to be treated as some sort of inconsequential watering hole. I certainly don't anyway. That's irrelevant though; there is no "competition" for LOMCN and never will be... It is what it is - it's kind of a miracle anyone still comes here at all, but they do. That's really not what this thread is about (I thought the tongue-in-cheek OP was clear on that but it has appeared not) Rules were broken! Rules you probably created...

A rental fee for a dedicated host.. how is that selling the files?
The files just to happen to come with the dedi host. I don't see the problem.

Don't see you or LOMCN offering free dedi hosts to people. Im so sorry for trying to help the community grow and create more servers

I miss the old days where there used to be a huge list of servers to choose from and they were all about fun and showing your own unique ideas for mir

edit: I'll quite happily retract my offer, to be honest its causing me a lot of extra work for nothing in return, if its also going to cause me all this hassle and "bad rep" then its simply not worth it.

Bon said:
I'm offering the FiveHeroes server files for rental
Bon said:
When the server goes live, a fee will be charged for the rental of the dedi and files.

:highly_amused: Why didn't you just release your files for free? Like all of the devs who created your base files did? I don't know who you're trying to kid... yourself?

For the record, your "offer" was deleted the moment I found out about it

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:13 PM ----------

tbh its the only reason I'm coming to the forum :P

Yet people are still asking why I didn't just send a PM :distracted:

Last edited:

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Actually I think we kind of are entitled. We haven't kept this place running for all this time to be treated as some sort of inconsequential watering hole. I certainly don't anyway. That's irrelevant though; there is no "competition" for LOMCN and never will be... It is what it is - it's kind of a miracle anyone still comes here at all, but they do. That's really not what this thread is about (I thought the tongue-in-cheek OP was clear on that but it has appeared not)

Oh I know this thread started as tongue in cheek, still it got pretty serious :P. I agree there is no competition to LOMCN but just see no harm in people trying, I mean LOMCN started as competition for MSRF (BEST MIR FORUM!!) and will be here till the last Mir player turns off the lights and probably longer

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
:highly_amused: Why didn't you just release your files for free? Like all of the devs who created your base files did? I don't know who you're trying to kid... yourself?

For the record, your "offer" was deleted the moment I found out about it

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Yet people are still asking why I didn't just send a PM :distracted:
I am seriously considering releasing the exes for all to use, but then why should I? and if i did, give me one reason why I should do it on this forum when you're giving me all this grief?

They were put on to a dedi server that I could control to stop people taking the piss / stealing etc. Its a control environment. I'm losing time and money to host these dedicated servers, why should I not charge a fee further down the line for the dedicated host??? You're just trying to twist my words in an attempt to defend yourself.

It makes me laugh, you allow people to pop up a 10 minute server with a gameshop and take everyone's money ... yet I'm genuinely trying to help the community and offer those w/o the start up fees for dedis, ftps, forums etc a real shot at creating their own server and your shooting me down? lol...

Rental and sale are 2 completely different things, you just want to play Hitler cause you don't like me.

Silencer

Comedian
Golden Oldie
Feb 9, 2008
LOMCN HQ with Tai, eating bagels.
I think you should all get together - close down the current servers, work as a team to create one super server - use LOMCN as the forum for it and charge a monthly subscription fee with no gameshop.

We all miss Euro - let's recreate it and then organise a big Mir Meet - I'll bring a huge vat of Koolaid and we can all finally put this rollercoaster of virginity and shame behind us.

What say ye?

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Oh I know this thread started as tongue in cheek, still it got pretty serious :P. I agree there is no competition to LOMCN but just see no harm in people trying, I mean LOMCN started as competition for MSRF (BEST MIR FORUM!!) and will be here till the last Mir player turns off the lights and probably longer

It was all about levelme.net .....

Tai is just being Tai, and 64.3% of the forum will agree he's a _________, i'm all for Bons approach, he is sharing files in a. Controlled manner. Not much different to what Jamie has done really, as you said yourself Tai he is looking for some body to run the server. hes letting somebody else try sort it out whilst having a finger in the pulse, as Ben is, only difference is Ben doesnt want any of gameshop, but a fee to cover dedi costs for their server using files hes tweaked.

Just close Thread and Milo/Tai battle it out in admin section over this and give Bon A PM with outcome.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I am seriously considering releasing the exes for all to use, but then why should I? and if i did, give me one reason why I should do it on this forum when you're giving me all this grief?

They were put on to a dedi server that I could control to stop people taking the piss / stealing etc. Its a control environment. I'm losing time and money to host these dedicated servers, why should I not charge a fee further down the line for the dedicated host??? You're just trying to twist my words in an attempt to defend yourself.

It makes me laugh, you allow people to pop up a 10 minute server with a gameshop and take everyone's money ... yet I'm genuinely trying to help the community and offer those w/o the start up fees for dedis, ftps, forums etc a real shot at creating their own server and your shooting me down? lol...

Rental and sale are 2 completely different things, you just want to play Hitler cause you don't like me.

yeah but like you said 1 good server outweighs 10 **** servers.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I think you should all get together - close down the current servers, work as a team to create one super server - use LOMCN as the forum for it and charge a monthly subscription fee with no gameshop.

We all miss Euro - let's recreate it and then organise a big Mir Meet - I'll bring a huge vat of Koolaid and we can all finally put this rollercoaster of virginity and shame behind us.

What say ye?

Will there be chicken?

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom

What say ye?

Great Idea... I'mma close Marble right this second!

No honestly, it wouldn't work for mir 2 (just too much competition/ over saturated).

Mir 3 I can see the possibility, for example You would need someone to create the files, someone for the website/advertising and another volunteer to research the official KR game (getting as many screengrabs of mobs, quests, items, stats etc etc). You would then create a carbon copy of KR Mir 3 as a LOMCN server.

Other than that, I see no way to create a community server.

Status
Not open for further replies.