Server Releases Question

smoochy boys on tour

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It's not for any date for release yet (not even beta tested it yet) but I am looking to release a server; I just have 1 question on content of the server.

This excludes patches and content created after release

But would people prefer;

An open world server, all areas are accessible from the start (no restrictions - other than the fact you will get destroyed by mobs in higher level areas) Maps unlocked by doing quests are exempt
--If this was the case, would people feel a bit hard done by if new areas weren't released as quick?

Restricted Areas, so all created areas are in the server from launch but you are unable to access certain maps until you hit certain requirements (level mainly)

A staggered release, in that some areas are not available straight away, and released on some sort of rotation/ when x amount of people hit a certain level.

Just curious to what people think!

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Crystal section is for discussion about Crystal files only, not general server discussions - so i've moved this to Mir2 Chat.

RandomGKL

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 31, 2014
I prefer open world, no level requirements anywhere. If you can hunt somewhere you should be able to hunt there. If you can't hunt somewhere, just will you just die. :eek-new:

There will always be some grinders who blow through the content quickly, so try to release everything as soon as its finished and tested so they don't get stuck hunting maps too weak for them. I believe there is no point in staggering releases unless your doing it for a reason. For example, some sort of episodic regular patch which advances the story could benefit from this approach.

If you do hold back some of the content make sure you have a good reason. You could have an event that opens the new cave for example, or maybe a storyline trigger that opens the cave.

My main bugbear with servers atm is they frontload content. The early game has more caves than late game. Players only spend the first week or 2 at the early game stage so all those maps/skins used will become irrelevant really quickly. Then when they get to late game there are only a few caves of appropriate level. If you can find a good balance for this it will hugely benefit your server.