Likes Likes:  9
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Starr - exploiting

Re: Starr - exploiting

Quote Originally Posted by Adv View Post
    Hilarious.

Plays a ROLE PLAYING game.

Gets annoyed when someone PLAYS A ROLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I've missed you.
    /Evidence

2. Want your banner advert here? CLICK!

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post

Abusing a mistake is an exploit. Abusing a games mechanic, is not..

Exploit:
    make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand.

The ONLY person who has the power to decide what is or is not fair on the server is the server owner. The fact that it has been or is going to be fixed would confirm that the server owner deemed this to be an unfair or underhand issue, thus and Exploit.

As I mentioned, I do not believe any punishment is in order, because as far as exploiting goes, its pretty low on the list of being departmental to the server.

It was an exploit, it is being fixed.
    Bye.
    .Anti-Exploit Contributor.

.Delivering quality anti exploit feedback and fix suggestions when developers make mistakes.

.Community Hero.

Just for my records.. didn't ESC close all pop-ups and windows?

If not, why just not add ESC to close the pop-ups.. it would be quick enough to solve the problem to the noobs that don't want to disallow group when not grouped.....

Tbh, I think this technique has been used since ages and in good old times the solution to this was learning to freaking disable group.

I think the main issue at hand was once dashed and the damage output from starrr anyone but a warrior would be dead. Will be fixed next update

Quote Originally Posted by mStation View Post
    solution to this was learning to freaking disable group.
    Perhaps we should implement a command that you need to enter every time you reach a safezone to activate it?

perhaps
    @IAmInSafeZoneCantTakeDamage

oh and one for walk and one for run.
    but first you have to walk 3 steps so @walk @walk @walk @run

Who in their right mind would want to polish the files and remove clunky time wasting mechanics eh?
    .Anti-Exploit Contributor.

.Delivering quality anti exploit feedback and fix suggestions when developers make mistakes.

.Community Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Razarus View Post

Exploit:
    make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand.

The ONLY person who has the power to decide what is or is not fair on the server is the server owner. The fact that it has been or is going to be fixed would confirm that the server owner deemed this to be an unfair or underhand issue, thus and Exploit.

As I mentioned, I do not believe any punishment is in order, because as far as exploiting goes, its pretty low on the list of being departmental to the server.

It was an exploit, it is being fixed.
    Bye.
    Lol you can google definitions all day if you like, it doesn't make you right.

You can't call a mechanic of the game an exploit, if you're not prepared to class every other mechanic of the game being used in the same way, an exploit as well. In fact, MMO companies cannot legally ban you from a game if the "exploit" has been based around a mechanic that they have intentionally implemented to the game (Such as these trade/group windows)

The level of punishment is irrelevant, if you are to go around changing mechanics because people have learned to use them cleverly, then you will forever be facing an uphill battle...as my previous example would present, i'm sure it wouldn't be well received by Warriors who have used it for many years.

Personally I think it would be rather interesting to see the results of such a change
    Last edited by Pottsy; 24-05-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    You can't call a mechanic of the game an exploit, if you're not prepared to class every other mechanic of the game being used in the same way, an exploit as well. In fact, MMO companies cannot legally ban you from a game if the "exploit" has been based around a mechanic that they have intentionally implemented to the game (Such as these trade/group windows)
    You're purposefully ignoring reason just to argue. It's obviously cheating by way of manipulating the user interface to block gameplay to the other player. In any other activity/sport you'd say it's cheating.

Exploit is a word. To define an action. Which has occurred. How you can claim somebody can't use a word to define an event is nonsense.

It was not intentional that one could initiate a trade/group with you only to then attack you reducing your ability to respond. It was an oversight that was later bandaged by using a command to disable it nearly 16 years ago. Now it seems Jamie has helped reduce the chance that somebody would abuse the interface -- again, because it wasn't an intended function of the interface.

Also I have no idea what you're smoking about MMO companies and legalities. I promise you they have a room of lawyers that have ensured you signed away any chance to claim the nonsense you're talking about when you agreed to the EULA. Also bringing up "legally" while discussing exploits in a game that is illegally using copyrighted material is quite entertaining.

Can't believe something as simple as somebody abusing the interface has spawned so many posts arguing if it was really a feature of the game meant to be used for PvP. I'm done.
    Last edited by UniTY; 25-05-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    UniTY / LiNKz - Beta Player
    First Original Dev Team Member - Ah, remember the good ol' days?

website - no projects
    Steam ID: ericjX - DIII: ericjxX
    MIR Players - UniTY, LiNKz, UniWAR, UniTAO

Jesus how is this still being discussed? A true testament to the ****ing fickle ridiculousness that is the Mir community >_<

Yes it was exploiting. No one is really denying that surely? The discussion I was part of earlier on was whether it was worth noting. It's so easily avoidable, and easily managed that it is the Fisher Price 'My first exploit'. Old pal old boy over here (OP) was treating as if Starr was kidnapping the vulnerable in Syria or something though.

Jamie has fixed it apparently however, so let it go

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234