Change Feedback

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Thoughts on Mir progression changes?

So ever since i finally decided to take a glance at the Crystal source, I've been working away on things and just wanted some feedback on the changes to spells.

Similar functionality to that of "Sub-Classes" that was first seen some time ago, but hoping for a bit more of a depth and customization between players.

I haven't actually done it yet, nor will I have it done for a while as i'm not exactly pouring my heart into this :) So i have no images (Unless you count my doodles all the wall as images lol, trying to imagine what it would look like when its finished).

But essentially instead of having skills seperated and being made redundant. for example:
- Healing often made redundant by some players with Mass Healing
- FlamingSword often made redundant by TwinDrakeBlade
- HalfMoon often made redundant by CrossHalfMoon
- TBolt often made redundant by FDisruptor

You get the idea :)

So i've planned on changing the skill page, similar to that of Mir3 (If you can picture the skill tree type page), and ideas taken from Sub-Classes and WoooL server files (Where you can potentially go different paths for skills).

So...Players would be presented with choices in how to progress themselves. Each skill would now be capable of going to Lv5 (Could be higher, but just keeping it simple at the moment).

Healing and Mass Healing as an example would be combined into 1 skill tree.
Lv.1-3 is your standard Healing spell as it always has been.
At Lv.3 upon finding a "Spell/Skill Upgrade" (These would drop from bosses and such). This will allow you to progress from Lv.3 to 5 in your chosen path.
You would have 2 paths for this particular spell:
- MassHealing Version 1 (This would be your traditional 3x3 AoE).
- MassHealing Version 2 (This would heal yourself and 3/4 nearest allies).

A Lv.4 and 5 I was thinking of the power increase being a bigger AoE for Version 1 (Ending at 5x5 or something), and the Version 2 being all allies on screen. Just examples of course.

Version 1 would potentially have a better "Tick" heal, but Version 2 you would obviously never have to target :)

Another example: to make FlamingSword useful again.
Lv.1-3 is your traditional FlamingSword. Could perhaps call it something else to make the next path more likely.
Then you get the same 2 choices.
- FlamingSword which would have a "Burn" effect and Big Damage hit, as well as now being a Toggle effect (Constant cast such as TDB).
- TwinDrakeBlade (Would likely rename this lol). But this would be your traditional TDB, that does dmg, poisons and cuts defence etc.

This essentially creates warriors that don't just bum TDB, but may opt the FlamingSword route, giving it a use once again.

Some other examples:
Poison into PoisonCloud/MassPoison (Where it might cast both Red/Green at the same time).
HalfMoon into CHM/ImprovedHM (Where Still HMoon but equal dmg to all enemies hit).
FireBall into GreatFireBall. Or GreatFireBall as normal (Removing FireBall), and have the split as a higher dmg GFB or Mass Hitting GFB.

Could potentially have a 3rd break eventually (This is where they could reach higher than Lv.5).

GreatFireBall > MassGFB > FireBang for example.

I have many more....but what would people think of this kind of approach to the Mir spells. This would of course come with skill resets at the loss of the Upgrade books you used, as well as other tweeks you would expect to not dead lock players into a situation to enforce a re-roll.

This could also assists in the amount of "spells" we actually use at any given time. So rather than needing more than 12 buttons, and combinations of buttons, you might just need the standard 12, creating an easier play style for everyone.

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
The changes to spells sound really interesting.

It would be refreshing for this kind of system, to be fair I just like the idea of getting level 3 skill, and can unlock 2 extra levels by skill upgrade/items!

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Honestly an incredible idea if executed correctly, however I feel that most of the Mir community don't like change :(

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Made somewhat of progress to be able to give a better "image" of what i was going for.

1) Drops will not longer be "Books" but rather now Tier specific books will drop.
- For example, instead of "Fencing" dropping, it will now be "Common Skill/Spell Book"
- Players will then be able to opt into any skill they wish that qualifies as that specific Tier.

2) Whilst maintaining the originality of Mir to not confuse players too much, skills such as Fencing/Healing/Fireball will all most likely be "Common" and will maintain their default requirement for very early game (So obviously, would use the first skill book on Fencing/Healing or Fireball). Of course you won't have to....but you know, you prob will lol.

3) All of the Tiers will require their pre-req Tier to unlock (So Slaying will be an Uncommon Tree extension to Fencing on the Common tree).

4) The change as previously mentioned that "Branch off" will be from Uncommon onwards. As the previous example, Fencing would branch into Slaying, and also another type of "Slaying" (One that perhaps toggles like FS/TDB, but costs Mana at an early level). Other skills may perhaps branch off into 3 categories as tiers from Legendary onwards (Screenshot only currently shows 2 branches)

5) An idea not yet decided on, was to abolish "Level Requirements" on spells. Since I will be allowing the freedom to use whatever skills you wish at any point in time...it may be useful for me to put skills as such Halfmoon as "Common" and allow them to drop quite frequently (Just an example not confirmed), but then to be used very early on for leveling purposes. Of course this would allow those players running alt chars to have "Super Noobs" such as having a Mystical spell at Lv5 or something....but then could also assist in bridging the gap so that levels aren't everything.

Skill_Page-_New.jpg

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Very interesting, and having low levels with strong spells wouldn't be too bad a thing, it's the gear that makes your spells hit like a truck anyway, being able to get stuff like halfmoon and such might just help bridge the gap between new and vet players of the server.

would you have the common / uncommon .... books separate for each class?

So Common Wizard Book / Common Warrior Book and so forth. or just a single "Common Book" ?

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Very interesting, and having low levels with strong spells wouldn't be too bad a thing, it's the gear that makes your spells hit like a truck anyway, being able to get stuff like halfmoon and such might just help bridge the gap between new and vet players of the server.

would you have the common / uncommon .... books separate for each class?

So Common Wizard Book / Common Warrior Book and so forth. or just a single "Common Book" ?

Probably something i would ask people about.

Personally I hate never seeing the book i need drop...so i could just have a standard across for all classes, then the fight can be amongst the players, rather than against the drop files :P

Or i could do half and half....have a standard, and then have the Legendary/Mystical as class specific.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Can't say I grasp what you outline here, perhaps because its some idea from mir3 or even if not, mir3 like sort of?

Is the idea to simplify the skill galore by wrapping some related skills into one with more levels (mainly for wiz and tao class, only marginal issue for warrior).?

"This essentially creates warriors that don't just bum TDB, but may opt the FlamingSword route, giving it a use once again."
This talk of 'taking a path' (a route) means you got to decide for your char once for all at a given point? Like you would have 'warriorTDB' and 'warriorFS' classes branching at some point in game?

FS is not getting used because its pants on all servers I played (recently anyway). I am tired of pple opposing it being pants on the basis of the clique of several top players on server who have multiple DC of the rest of warriors on server and so hit FS with high damage or at least some damage that means something. But for your average warrior FS is and remains pants till server goes offline.

And problem with some skill books simply not dropping for you and trying to get around by inventing some common class book tiers just plays into hands of lazy server owners who can't be arsed to set drops right or else mir drop system as such is ^&*() up and needs fixing.

Last edited: