Web host recommendations

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I use siteground, really good host and their support is great.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I'll host it... ;)

if not... just setup your own in a VPS somewhere,

I used EvoHosting for a long time, and highly recommend it, a tad pricey, but you get what you pay for...

I guess your asking, is something to do with why the site was down the other day? -.-

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Please dont use 123Reg. Terrible hosting/services!
was just about to post this.

end of the day, you pay for what you get... if you're paying £5 a month expect it to be ****, go down, take forever to get fixed etc.

I'd offer u a host via my company but .. we both know id be wasting my time :witless:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Work out what you need then see if the hosts offer it.

If you need specifics like Windows or Linux, SSL, php, MS SQL or MySQL databases, shopping cart, Wordpress, CMS etc., some hosts enable quick installs of these, others require you to do all the setup. Sounds easy but can be a pain.

Cheap hosting is usually cheap for a reason !

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'll host it... ;)

if not... just setup your own in a VPS somewhere,

I used EvoHosting for a long time, and highly recommend it, a tad pricey, but you get what you pay for...

I guess your asking, is something to do with why the site was down the other day? -.-

That sounds like far more effort than necessary

also it's not for lomcn lol.

Work out what you need then see if the hosts offer it.

If you need specifics like Windows or Linux, SSL, php, MS SQL or MySQL databases, shopping cart, Wordpress, CMS etc., some hosts enable quick installs of these, others require you to do all the setup. Sounds easy but can be a pain.

Cheap hosting is usually cheap for a reason !

Don't all hosts come with one click installs nowadays? :O

My requirements are basically fast, reliable, uk based, and good with wordpress. Siteground offers some WP caching system which supposedly makes wordpress sites faster...seems like a good bet me thinks!

Thanks all

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i've used them for 3 years and have no complaints to what they provide in terms of service.

They don't offer windows servers unfortunately though so you can't host .net based sites, and i found you have to manually request them to open ports for specific IP addresses (so the Mir2 Signature tool could get a tad annoying).

But they offer to install any plugin for you, and they've always fixed complicated htaccess rewrite rules for me when i can't figure it out.

UniTY

O.G.
VIP
Apr 29, 2003
Florida, USA
GoDaddy has quite a few deals for decent prices. Look up GoDaddy promo codes.

Problem with cheap or no-name hosts is that they're either subletting servers from other companies trying to make a fast buck and won't be around for long/crap service or they're (the company) being bought and sold annually.

Last edited:

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Digital Ocean.

Depending on how much you want to spend that can scale up/down automatically... I usually start with their small droplets (VPS) whilst I am dev-ing and then increase it once it goes live.

They have a London data center as well.

Sam