Teleporting between Towns

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I am looking to add a teleport system for fast travelling to other towns.

I know the usual way is pay a set fee to go to different towns, having access to most places as long as you have the $$$$.

However, how do people feel on a system where, they would need to travel and activate each town teleport stone before being able to actually 'fast travel' to that town?
--I'd also add in a feature so you can switch the @home command to whichever town you want, once you have activated the stone.

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
I am looking to add a teleport system for fast travelling to other towns.

I know the usual way is pay a set fee to go to different towns, having access to most places as long as you have the $$$$.

However, how do people feel on a system where, they would need to travel and activate each town teleport stone before being able to actually 'fast travel' to that town?
--I'd also add in a feature so you can switch the @home command to whichever town you want, once you have activated the stone.

I tried having that feature before, problem is these days mir people are far too lazy unfortunately :/ A few like it but most dislike it seemed

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I tried having that feature before, problem is these days mir people are far too lazy unfortunately :/ A few like it but most dislike it seemed

Might make it so you can pay do use them, or do a quest in the area and it removes the teleport cost to that area + you can set it as your @home location, makes it some what worth.

I just want people to explore all areas, as I am adding quests, caves, mobs, and other features in maps that people will need to actually find xD

IHaveALongName

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
Qatar
IMO i think you should stick with the lazy teleport me to that town/cave by a click
i've tried the run to the needed town system but it failed so i believe you should pick the teleport by a cost of money.

good luck with ur project mate

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Most people just like a open game. So they roam around and do it all.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Have an @Town command that opens up a window with a list of all towns. The user clicks their town and a fee is taken.
It will work anywhere for any town you list and they'll always have to pay.

nigelfarage

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2017
annoying chore

what benefit does that give me? thank god for RTs lol

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
annoying chore

what benefit does that give me? thank god for RTs lol

yeah I don't want to implement stuff on a game that would just wind players up! haha

Have an @Town command that opens up a window with a list of all towns. The user clicks their town and a fee is taken.
It will work anywhere for any town you list and they'll always have to pay.

I like this idea actually... cheers!

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
If you want to encourage people to explore then i would suggest having it so they can only teleport to a town/cave once they have discovered it. Stick an npc in the cave entrance, that disappears once spoken to which will unlock the cave on the teleport list. Once discovered they can teleport for a fee via telestone/@town command as above etc.
You could then either only show the towns/caves they have visited, or list all the towns/caves but grey them out if they have not been visited yet. People can then see there are undiscovered caves.

Maybe then have a quest to kill so many mobs/boss that will then let the player teleport for free to said cave after having proved they can handle hunting there?

I like teleport to towns/caves, makes getting back hunting easier but it does detract from having people explore. Always against having any teleport to KR's though.

nigelfarage

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2017
what's the point of exploring **** we've seen already though
unless you give a fun benefit to exploring it's just a chore

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK
The problem with running has already been said. It's all been seen before. But why not take a leaf from other rpgs book. Have quests in random places. Like the sv map. There's that huge area to the left of that map which has absolutely no use what so ever.

I like the lazy way to tele between towns. If u want to give people a reason to run it tho.. Make the cost slightly more expensive than your average server unless they do the run which could then allow them to tele for free and set any town to your @home idea

nigelfarage

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 2, 2017
tbh if u want things to improve, search through forums for complained about features
no need to guess

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
So your asking if you can make what Chronicles had, where you had to run to the Town and check off the tele stone before you teleport there? A few server's have had that and it's shitty, nobody wants to tele through provs to unlocks them lol, cmon boring ass ****.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
People are lazy. Currently, what I am working on you have to visit each NPC I have always liked Teleports this way (Diablo 2 fan)

I have seen thread after thread regarding what people want, I have always thought make a server what you would like to play not what people want.

my opinion on @HOME just removes the use of Dungeon Escape, TownTeleports, Teleport Wizard Skill Mir is becoming to idiot friendly if you forget a DE,TT then you have to run back to town.

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
People are lazy. Currently, what I am working on you have to visit each NPC I have always liked Teleports this way (Diablo 2 fan)

I have seen thread after thread regarding what people want, I have always thought make a server what you would like to play not what people want.

my opinion on @HOME just removes the use of Dungeon Escape, TownTeleports, Teleport Wizard Skill Mir is becoming to idiot friendly if you forget a DE,TT then you have to run back to town.

yeah that's true, I got the idea itself from Diablo 2's waypoints as I always liked the concept...

my @home command has a 30 minute cooldown and takes 3 seconds before it casts (I wanted it more as a 'hearthstone' from WoW then just being able to spam it)
--I can adjust this accordingly, if it feels like it needs tweaks.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe then have a quest to kill so many mobs/boss that will then let the player teleport for free to said cave after having proved they can handle hunting there?

I recall on some server this past winter/spring, seems like I was the only one stupid enough to try unlock low level cave via doing quests, I ended in Oma cave way way past I should already have been in higher level caves (lev28 or maybe 30) since the mob numbers on quest to unlock teleports were simply stupid, nuff said. I didn't even try to unlock the others, probably stopped playing that server not long after I unlocked that teleport to Oma cave. Even now I get upset when I recall that abysmal stupidity of that. Glaring example that server owners, designers should play their own **** first! Also there was server when you needed to travel to town and click on some pillar there, several times it happened I was in new town but forgot to click the pillar...

---------- Post Merged at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:15 AM ----------

@home command is OK on high rate servers, BTW even on those I carry TTs (or would carry DEs except that TTs are dirt cheap on most servers - HRs actually auto give TT whenever you use the teleport NPC to caves) because if you get into tight spot with boss or PK or whatever, typing @home is sure to end up with you going down on that spot.

This whole thing about teleports is really quite wide reaching. If you want pple to explore, you need (as was said above here) to make maps interesting to explore or even to run through them. Default outdoor euro province maps with their default mobs simply won't cut it today.

As mentioned above about SV map left side being unused, that's the same as Nat.OC and other places that early korean servers had to contain 500 to 1000+ players playing on those maps and those places stayed as holy relics harking back to yesteryear. Don't get me wrong, I am all for preserving the euro base spirit on every server but at the same time I see the need for it to be tweaked, improved upon. But every server does utmost to kill the euro base by setting spawns way too low, so even misguided pple like me simply can't hunt on those maps at any level (whenever possible I like to hunt outdoors but only some servers provide such maps, I get sick of dunk caves where there is never daylight). On any server I can only recall sweet memories of euro GN/GP mir, when mobs were plentiful on outdoor maps, how easy it was to make huge lures of zombies in BMines so they made a circle around you and HM them leaving them laying in that circle (same with Yetis in WW)... how interesting BC was when spawn times were shortened and even 1F was humming with mobs.
When we got the patch with PastBichon, we went exploring to find the teleport to it on PI which itself wasn't easy map which made it interesting. Secret path btw Sabuk and ST was interesting because it took a while before we could explore it all the way through (IMO group playing destroys such discovery because it makes exploration way too easy - and if made more difficult, pple make bigger groups and it also destroys mir for solo players).

Later euro brought in frogs and MMines and with it lots of duplication of caves that need to be pushed into higher level places, unless the server is ultra low rate. And only on some such server would exploring work and make sense. Usually if you want to keep up with the joneses, you have to play ruthlessly, that is ignore the nice romantic stuff the server owner put in place and rape the content by skipping such features as much as you can in favor of getting best exp and items.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Don't forget on Euro TownTeleports was drop only you could never buy them from a merchant, Tbh Euro had so many fun points in its own little way, it's like Euro Soma spending hours n hours hunting ScorpionTails for Spells now on the only remaining Soma Server they are that common it has taken the fun from it.

It's currently like MiniMaps and BigMaps even though I like certain aspects I currently don't like how they are implemented. You should either purchase Maps or receive them from Drops, NPCS, Quests and only have BigMaps as reference

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, TTs completely eliminated the need for DEs these days.

It's currently like MiniMaps and BigMaps even though I like certain aspects I currently don't like how they are implemented. You should either purchase Maps or receive them from Drops, NPCS, Quests and only have BigMaps as reference

Yes, I like the idea of needing to get minimaps and preferably from quests or maybe drops but quests preferable - at least something else to get from quest other than exp points, gold or some added stat item. Could be an item like skill book, you would need to get it dropped on particular map for that map and it could have mapping skill levels like standard skills, higher level would mean some perks regarding minimaps, maybe seeing mobs & player dots to bigger diameter or at some higher level (could be more than 3) that auto travel when you clicked on the minimap, combined with faster tiger riding it could be all a lower rate server might need.

Not having minimaps automatically when combined with new maps that pple don't know or at least don't know by heart would make game more interesting.

Also you could have teleports dropping in a given cave which would teleport you to 1F of that cave or its entrance, could improve on it and make KR mobs drop KR Teleports which would drop fairly rare. Would make a lower rate server more viable to play for some folks.

Last edited:

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
Chronicles has this doesn't it?
I cant say what it uses now, but we originally designed Chronicles to use a waypoint system similar to that of Diablo. Myself and Nemo had never been a fan of instant teleportation as it defeats the whole exploration aspect of the game. Locating a town once and unlocking it forever seems like the best of both worlds.