Zircon Server Development

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightstorm

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 9, 2005
Love the addition of the observer mode. Definitely going to be an interesting feature! Some odd questions being asked about Jamie's powers lol.... he's created this from scratch, do you not think he would be able to see what people are up to? I think he meant he would have it enabled all the time on the character he is playing, to show nothing funny is going on. Im sure he would also have a GM char for obvious reasons, but I can't see reason for that char to have observer mode on.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Tao Augments Adjusted, 3.4 Second static cooldown if you hit 2 or more mobs (rather than 2 seconds per additional mob)
Jinchon Palace Added
Black Palace Added.
Rankings + Observer available from Login Screen now.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Does that observer mode fill all your game view (window or full screen)? Won't it be potentially confusing with you at some point thinking 'its you' when the observed player will not be moving at the time if it is full game view?

Also I doubt pple will see boss efforts unless someone wants to boast? I mean before going to boss you pop in SZ and toggle observer off and toggle it back on when its your day to hunt for % which gets boring as ^<:beguiled:>^ after a minute of watching if you just watch?

What I am saying it will be used as just another, second 'marriage ring' :love_heart:, that is exploited for added exp, and after a time only few 'high profile' pple will be watched but everybody will have it on practically mandatorily. Because if you are rank and file player on the server, that is nobody, who's gonna look at you, be curious what you do LOL so it there is no game speed penalty, why not have it toggled on permanently, that is if you don't run some game cheat. And those who won't have it on as a rule will invite suspicion they cheat, exploit... :grey:

Not wanting to be negative though, still can't resist the comment that at least part of what put mir2 positive pple off mir3 was its complexity obscuring the real meat of the gaming, that is raw playstyle of mir2. At least this feature you can ignore and not notice it even if you have it switched on.

Last edited:

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Does that observer mode fill all your game view (window or full screen)? Won't it be potentially confusing with you at some point thinking 'its you' when the observed player will not be moving at the time if it is full game view?
Your character is logged out when you observer someone else

Also I doubt pple will see boss efforts unless someone wants to boast? I mean before going to boss you pop in SZ and toggle observer off and toggle it back on when its your day to hunt for % which gets boring as ^<:beguiled:>^ after a minute of watching if you just watch?

That's up to them, but they miss out on Exp / Drop rate. which would be important when doing a boss run (you kill alot of mobs on the way)

What I am saying it will be used as just another, second 'marriage ring' :love_heart:, that is exploited for added exp,

Not sure what you mean, Marriage ring offers teleporting to your partner, allowing people to watch you offers you small exp bonus.

and after a time only few 'high profile' pple will be watched but everybody will have it on practically mandatorily. Because if you are rank and file player on the server, that is nobody, who's gonna look at you, be curious what you do LOL so it there is no game speed penalty, why not have it toggled on permanently, that is if you don't run some game cheat. And those who won't have it on as a rule will invite suspicion they cheat, exploit... :grey:

Not wanting to be negative though, still can't resist the comment that at least part of what put mir2 positive pple off mir3 was its complexity obscuring the real meat of the gaming, that is raw playstyle of mir2. At least this feature you can ignore and not notice it even if you have it switched on.

I'd rather you test the feature before trying to speculate at every possible negative you could think of.... none of which seem to be actual negatives.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
You may not want to be negative, but you are lol.

I have seen absolutely no problems, other than the annoyance of having to log out to stop viewing....which i imagine is the way it's designed, so probably no way around it?

You can't view without being in SZ, so the idea of boss jumping people would likely be difficult...and who cares? It's the risk you take having the extra bonuses lol.

I think it's a really good feature, and it's interesting the see the server without actually having to play at the moment :) I also like the notifications that tell you you're being watched. Also a plus to assure Users that corruption is kept in check, not that i thought there was a risk anyway lol, and assistance for bug reporting and cheating.

All pluses for this feature, I see no game breaking negatives at all. Good job Jamie.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
would be good to have a communal chat for anyone viewing - and a speech command for the player to type/respond directly to this chat

make it properly like a twitch type audience.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
would be good to have a communal chat for anyone viewing - and a speech command for the player to type/respond directly to this chat

I don't think is really necessary.

I think he did a change yesterday (As I couldn't do it before), but in Observer mode you can now PM people and they can reply to you if they want to.

I think the traditional Twitch chat layout would just produce an extra spammy dialog box for no reason lol.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Might be worth adding a player cmd to see whos actually watching you

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom

you already have that.

(atleast if they are viewing the same person)

# is to send messages to your viewers.

as long as the viewer is watching you from in game (viewing login screen doesn't allow them to type).

they can type to you with normal chat ( it will come through to you as observer chat all other observers can read it). Observers can still use global and PM people. Guild chat too will be available.

Last edited:

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
You only need to open the client to start watching people (login is not required), rankings and available people to watch are on the login screen, I'd take a screenshot but I'm not at my pc right now.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
2017-09-01_12h18_20.png

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
Maybe i'v misunderstood about this Observer or missed something but some of the point's id like to bring up are -

It can be toggled on and off -
which would surely defeat the purpose of it being used as an Anti cheat measure, other than for a GM who can override the permissions anyway.

Any player, can see another players location / their equipment in their bag ( even know how many potions they even have) so long as said player has it turned on
-
Is there any restrictions like you can only observer from the safezone? The issue i see is you could get Groups of Pker's with one person "Spotting"(observing the mark) then giving out detailed information on their location, which would be a terribly anti fun mechanic. Probe Necklaces have been removed from 99% of servers because of this, and this is way more intrusive and accessible than a Probe necklace from what i'v heard so far.

"well they can turn it off if they feel at risk" but this also defeats the point of having in the first place? who is going to leave themselves open to being tracked and hunted with or without Pk Drops.

I Agree it sounds awesome for Sabuk, but i think it needs some counter measures in place like you can only observe someone on your friends list or a pop up when someone try's to observe you, telling you who it is and you can accept or deny. Unless this server is PvE then the only advantage is checking players to see if they are hunting x boss, in x area.

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
the Xp boost does sound like a nice incentive.

not sure if jamie mentioned it on here but he has on discord about some kinda exp buff for having observer enabled, don't think he has decided what % exp buff to give yet. if he is planning on adding it anyways.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
not sure if jamie mentioned it on here but he has on discord about some kinda exp buff for having observer enabled, don't think he has decided what % exp buff to give yet. if he is planning on adding it anyways.

He, and others, have mentioned it multiple times on here. He also went in to great detail on the system intentions when I asked, which Turrican should go back read as it gives his true intentions for introducing the system

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
And so begins the Dystopian reign of Sir Jamole the Third, Bringer of Servers, Breaker of Stereotypes and True Leader of the Casual Folk.

No but seriously jokes aside, this ****'s amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.