Zircon Server Development

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin87

Night date without obligations, one night only
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 11, 2005
Usa
sounds nothing like mir, why would you have it so u cant drop on pk/death?

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Because **** off.

(But seriously, read the pk poll thread. He goes through his thoughts on the matter a million times, give or take 999,998).

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe i'v misunderstood about this Observer or missed something but some of the point's id like to bring up are -

It can be toggled on and off -
which would surely defeat the purpose of it being used as an Anti cheat measure, other than for a GM who can override the permissions anyway.

Any player, can see another players location / their equipment in their bag ( even know how many potions they even have) so long as said player has it turned on
-
Is there any restrictions like you can only observer from the safezone? The issue i see is you could get Groups of Pker's with one person "Spotting"(observing the mark) then giving out detailed information on their location, which would be a terribly anti fun mechanic. Probe Necklaces have been removed from 99% of servers because of this, and this is way more intrusive and accessible than a Probe necklace from what i'v heard so far.

"well they can turn it off if they feel at risk" but this also defeats the point of having in the first place? who is going to leave themselves open to being tracked and hunted with or without Pk Drops.

I Agree it sounds awesome for Sabuk, but i think it needs some counter measures in place like you can only observe someone on your friends list or a pop up when someone try's to observe you, telling you who it is and you can accept or deny. Unless this server is PvE then the only advantage is checking players to see if they are hunting x boss, in x area.

Literally has been stated a number of times lol, is everyone just skipping to the final post instead of reading the threads and repeating questions?

1) Yes, it can be toggled on or off, but only from Safezone. You can't simply turn it on mid hunt to find/kill someone.

2) The primary focus of the system is not to provide an anti cheat measure, but is just a nice plus as it can be used to watch player footage when people are accusing cheaters and reporting bugs as Jamie can watch from their perspective. Eventually I believe this will have some sort of playback feature (As if you're watching Youtube or Twitch recordings), so information can be reliably gathered.

3) This system can also assist in any corruption accusations as Jamie will have enforced Observer mode 24/7, as well as his brother Shane (As Jamie has stated above).

4) Bonuses of extra exp and drop rate have been mentioned as a reward for keeping the mode turned on. Currently during this Alpha phase, its set to 5% Exp and Drop Rate, whether this is the intended amount you will find out on release I would assume.

I can't really see anyone or rarely anyone using Observer mode to stalk players, as oppose to going to the bosses/hunting areas themselves lol. Some may do it, but will provide a very tiny advantage...I personally never saw a Probe necklace as an advantage either, and i'm sure it was removed out of uselessness rather than usefulness.

Even if people did use it for this....it's the risk you take when reaping the benefit of the EXP/Drop rate boost.

Last edited:

MirinBrah?

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2014
It will promote PVP which is a good thing , the people who don;t like to PVP will have it turned off , i will have it on 24/7

If it was my server i would have it on for everyone, stops people getting away with exploits , stops people getting away with cheats for long

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Maybe people under suspicion should have it forced on without them knowing :D

Incredulous

Banned
Banned
Loyal Member
Jul 21, 2016
Majority of official mir3 servers have had some form of drop protection buffs, so im not surprised Jamie has gone with the no drops on PK.

One question , if your red and you die, be that to a monster/player or to a guard, will you drop?

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
Majority of official mir3 servers have had some form of drop protection buffs, so im not surprised Jamie has gone with the no drops on PK.

One question , if your red and you die, be that to a monster/player or to a guard, will you drop?

no drops at all.

no drops dying to mob body/bag goes for everything, kinda strange, but looks like we all gotta deal with it until something else comes along i guess.

well for the pkers.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Maybe people under suspicion should have it forced on without them knowing :D

Lately, I've found myself rather bored...you know, sexually. This is just the thing I need to reignite my lusty ways

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
The ONLY way Death drops would be in-game is the following:

• Only you can see your death drops
  • The death drop(s) persist through reboot
  • The death drops lasts 1 week.
  • Only non-potion/scroll items can be dropped.
  • You can put a bounty on the items so someone can collect it for you.
    • Item is automatically sent to you when someone obtains it for you,
    • Bounty would be something like 100x Value and 50% would be awarded to who ever picks it up, (50% of gold swallowed).
    • Anyone would be able to see the Bounty item and its value, but not who's or what the item.

However I am unsure if I want to implement this.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013

• Bounty would be something like 100x Value and 50% would be awarded to who ever picks it up, (50% of gold swallowed).
    • Anyone would be able to see the Bounty item and its value, but not who's item.

You don't. Nor should you be swayed. You don't want death drops, don't have death drops. Your reasons for it are sound, and logical, don't doubt them.

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania

• Anyone would be able to see the Bounty item and its value, but not who's or what the item.

So its not mir anymore....so I can lure on people when they are doing bosses, doesnt matter if I die, I dont loose anything, and I can think of more grief since you will never ever loose anything also its great you can spy on people before griefind them, nice job!

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
everyone knows there is a lot of pkers regardless what he does, all im' saying is they will get bored and leave due to the no drops, its just how it is..

either way your gonna lose players, but no doubt there will be more ppl who enjoy pk drops leave than people rage quit. ( in time)

---------- Post Merged at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:00 PM ----------

So its not mir anymore....so I can lure on people when they are doing bosses, doesnt matter if I die, I dont loose anything, and I can think of more grief since you will never ever loose anything

basically instanced mir in terms of players dropping kinda confusing how a coder/player whos played mir for so long would change the game.... EVEN after playing mir2 and hosting his own mir2 server, each to there own i guess.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004

Am fine with the drops either way lol.

Ultimately the vote was pointless as most of them stemmed from the reasoning of wanting PK drops....which barely happens lol, people just want that chance because more often than not, they are ****s and will PK without cause or reason, other than to be a douche to steal items...which itself barely happens if you know how to play lol.

I don't tend to kill people randomly, and in organised fights (Boss fights for example), you barely able to kill people because of RTing and TTing everywhere lol...so it makes no difference.

However, I do somewhat like the idea you put forward...but again, if it ultimately goes to you, then you may as well not drop lol. The only reason to implement this, would be if you needed a further Gold sink....which i don't think you will know until the server comes up lol.

Maybe a later implementation?

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I personally never saw a Probe necklace as an advantage either, and i'm sure it was removed out of uselessness rather than usefulness.

It was only really a toxic item when combined with a Tele ring, as you could find someone and instantly go to them, kill them and repeat. Without a tele ring it was indeed pointless, unless you really really hated someone enough to keep fighting them - but then they'd just RT and well, rinse and repeat.

So its not mir anymore....so I can lure on people when they are doing bosses, doesnt matter if I die, I dont loose anything, and I can think of more grief since you will never ever loose anything also its great you can spy on people before griefind them, nice job!

Doesn't matter if they die either, all you're doing is wasting time. You'll do this, get bored eventually and quit and go back to joining the scum that lives under the sofa.

Why do people so badly want PK drops? I have probably gained my fair share of items from PK drops more than all of you combined but even I can see the painfully obvious reasons as to why it's a **** system that literally encourages grief play and only ensures the demise of a persons hard earned time and effort. Nobody likes to be the person that dies and drops an item, everybody wants to be the person that kills for said item. See the problem? In games like Runescape you're forced to go out into a different territory and you can still only fight 1 on 1 to obtain peoples ****, and even then the majority of OS RS players don't care for it and never participate in it, because Staking/Raiding/PvE exists. It's a seperate entity entirely and the game doesn't revolve around it.

It's an outdated system that simply needs updating, Jamie is doing so. Let me put it in bold so the mentally handicapped can understand:

PKing and PvPing can still serve a purpose without body drops. Let's actually play the game and test out whatever Jamie implements instead of body drops before bashing it into the ground, eh?

Last edited:

Vagrant

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 13, 2004
Romania
It was only really a toxic item when combined with a Tele ring, as you could find someone and instantly go to them, kill them and repeat. Without a tele ring it was indeed pointless, unless you really really hated someone enough to keep fighting them - but then they'd just RT and well, rinse and repeat.

Doesn't matter if they die either, all you're doing is wasting time. You'll do this, get bored eventually and quit and go back to joining the scum that lives under the sofa.

Why do people so badly want PK drops? I have probably gained my fair share of items from PK drops more than all of you combined but even I can see the painfully obvious reasons as to why it's a **** system that literally encourages grief play and only ensures the demise of a persons hard earned time and effort. Nobody likes to be the person that dies and drops an item, everybody wants to be the person that kills for said item. See the problem? In games like Runescape you're forced to go out into a different territory and you can still only fight 1 on 1 to obtain peoples ****, and even then the majority of OS RS players don't care for it and never participate in it, because Staking/Raiding/PvE exists. It's a seperate entity entirely and the game doesn't revolve around it.

It's an outdated system that simply needs updating, Jamie is doing so. Let me put it in bold so the mentally handicapped can understand:

PKing and PvPing can still serve a purpose without body drops. Let's actually play the game and test out whatever Jamie implements instead of body drops before bashing it into the ground, eh?

Mir has always been about PKing and body drops, take that away I dont see it as mir anymore , and you mention runescape, well I am going to mention Albion where you loose EVERYTHING when you die....Jamie can do what he wants because its his work, but at the end of the day, people will come to try something new and most of them will leave after a day of playing, there will be people that wont play at all due to body drops

Reactions: zedina

Adv

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 13, 2014
Tricky one the old drops debate. With such bold changes to the way everyone has experienced there is obviously going to be a split in the community.

I love a good fight as much as the next guy, but I feel like if the risk of death was removed it wouldn't be so special to try and stay alive.

What happens when, as has been the case forever, a warrior goes and checks if a boss is in. If it is, the rest of the guild makes their way there (clearing or rting to KR regardless). That's a common tactic. What happens when the warrior arrives at the KR, finds enemy guild killing after clearing mobs. He opens bag, puts his best defensive kit on, and lures as much as possible repeatedly on the boss, stopping them. Either indefinitely, or until his guild arrives. Is this considered grief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Wasn't the drops thing debated enough already in the thread dedicated to discussing the drops thing? I know it's partially relevant to the latest topic in here (the observer) mode, but there was like 20 pages of discussion there already. It didn't sway Jamie there, I doubt anything we sway will (nor should) sway him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.