THE COUNTDOWNS RESTARTED!!

its-the-final-countdown-i-found-this-more-amusing-than-3097607.png

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Unless your in Central London, hyper Optic ftw!

true, but that's only a few houses :P some up north as well I guess have 1gig connections, but its just taking so long to do anything, they give with Vectoring and going to some sort of tech called g.fast... can only wait >.<

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
true, but that's only a few houses :P some up north as well I guess have 1gig connections, but its just taking so long to do anything, they give with Vectoring and going to some sort of tech called g.fast... can only wait >.<

We do FTTC now, and some of the speeds our customers get on it are shocking, although the majority are 50mbps+. Mines like 78/80 so it aint too shabby. Lots of FTTC coverage now.

We're also in talks to start doing FTTP, but that's limited. Too much infrastructure in the way :(

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
We do FTTC now, and some of the speeds our customers get on it are shocking, although the majority are 50mbps+. Mines like 78/80 so it aint too shabby. Lots of FTTC coverage now.

We're also in talks to start doing FTTP, but that's limited. Too much infrastructure in the way :(

Some parts of the UK are still tragic. We only get 12/13 down on FTTC in our office xD

It's not even available where I live (in a so-called prestigious part of town)

Spinn

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 17, 2015
I started at 1 mb/s and now I'm getting 70 mb/s from years of free upgrades, could be a lot worse.

anyone outside of the UK has decent internet...

Fair point, but still jelly of it nonetheless.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
I started at 1 mb/s and now I'm getting 70 mb/s from years of free upgrades, could be a lot worse.

Fair point, but still jelly of it nonetheless.

Who the hell in the UK is providing you Fibre for free, just for loyalty. They''d be losing money unless you're getting it from BT directly.

Also Tai, do you know when you are planning on being upgraded?

JustAUser

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Feb 11, 2017
Who the hell in the UK is providing you Fibre for free, just for loyalty. They''d be losing money unless you're getting it from BT directly.

My guess is he pays line rental and for his 1mb line

Which they upgraded to 70mb for free

Spinn

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 17, 2015

My 1 mb plan got upgraded to 70 mb (regular broadband)... I still pay the same amount now for 70 mb as I did for 1 mb years ago.

I would imagine the old 1 mb plan has now became 70 for everyone, but I could be wrong, not heard this happen to anyone else... I'm with Virgin Media btw, not everyone in the UK uses BT or Sky, lmao.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
My 1 mb plan got upgraded to 70 mb (regular broadband)... I still pay the same amount now for 70 mb as I did for 1 mb years ago.

I would imagine the old 1 mb plan has now became 70 for everyone, but I could be wrong, not heard this happen to anyone else... I'm with Virgin Media btw, not everyone in the UK uses BT or Sky, lmao.

If it's truly FTTC as we were discussing then Virgin (or whoever) would be having it supplied by BT (or rather Btw), as there are no other major providers (Warricknet have their own little network, and a company in Hull (KCOM) also do).

You're probably on HFC (coax/fibre) which is a different thing to what I was thinking, and an entirely separate network run by Virgin themselves. That's why they can do it I guess, as they don't pay BTw.

Either way, that's the technical side of it, it's pretty damn awesome that they are giving you 70mbps with no extra cost. How much do you pay for it if I may ask, and do you often get near 70mbps?

EDIT: Also I know not everyone does. But the vast majority use BTw even if they don't realise it. Even Sky do in a large percentage of their customer base, and ALL of their fibre customers do.

Spinn

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 17, 2015
If it's truly FTTC as we were discussing then Virgin (or whoever) would be having it supplied by BT (or rather Btw), as there are no other major providers (Warricknet have their own little network, and a company in Hull (KCOM) also do).

You're probably on HFC (coax/fibre) which is a different thing to what I was thinking, and an entirely separate network run by Virgin themselves. That's why they can do it I guess, as they don't pay BTw.

Either way, that's the technical side of it, it's pretty damn awesome that they are giving you 70mbps with no extra cost. How much do you pay for it if I may ask, and do you often get near 70mbps?

EDIT: Also I know not everyone does. But the vast majority use BTw even if they don't realise it. Even Sky do in a large percentage of their customer base, and ALL of their fibre customers do.

Not going to say cost, but it's cheap, I'll say that. I get around 68 mb/s when doing speedtest.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
this is what Vectoring and g.fast is to do my line is capable of like 150/50 via copper, but its capped at 80/20 and vectoring was meant to lift these limits, but its kindaw been forgotten about..

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
this is what Vectoring and g.fast is to do my line is capable of like 150/50 via copper, but its capped at 80/20 and vectoring was meant to lift these limits, but its kindaw been forgotten about..

Do Sky offer vectoring then or is it 3rd party? We've not looked at it at all to be honest, but I thought the lines all had to be fully controlled by one supplier (meaning it would only be available on small networks or LLU services).

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Do Sky offer vectoring then or is it 3rd party? We've not looked at it at all to be honest, but I thought the lines all had to be fully controlled by one supplier (meaning it would only be available on small networks or LLU services).

afaik no one in the UK does vectoring, It's been put on hold and they are now doing something with g.fast now, but nothing ever comes to my side of the country :P Recently changed from Sky to Vodafone, purely for money saving... connection seems the same/same quality even though Sky has there own equipment in the exchange, Customer service is a tad shitter, but what can you expect :)

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Bear in mind that if you moved from Sky Fibre to another fibre, then it is the same equipment. Even if Sky provided LLU services on that exchange it would only be for ADSL. All their fibre is via BTw.

Profiling and things will differ, and obviously cs. I've always found Sky to be really good tbf, only switched as I get my fibre and landline free of charge now.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I see yeah, thing is no offers come up for Fibre, was on fibre Pro, and only paid £25 per month for it including phone line, saved a fair bit, but this year nothing come up... so went over to Vodafone for £24 /pm lol but spent some time on sky the phone to sky today, and managed to get the Sky Q 2TB box for free with no multiroom, and 50% off TV bill and enough credit on the account so there are no bills untill January... fairly nice little deal lol.

Asked for a hybrid LNB to be installed as they change it with Sky Q... but can only hope they do it :P

4wtsf7yR.png