Request What to do when starting out?

smoochy boys on tour

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Howdy,

I'm looking to create a server and although the server setup seems simple enough, I've really no idea where to go from there. So I have 2 questions really,

Are the C# files ready to go and its that simple, play and enjoy?

What would you do with the standard files when you want to put up a server?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Well, to begin with, I'd put in exp table :boxing:

Haha, good call.

wiki.mironline.co.uk

Good resource, thanks.

At present i have a server online LOM:JAM so i've got the basic's. I was wondering more, what you peeps would do with a fresh server personally, where do u start with customization and how do u decide what gets changed etc?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
the basic DB is not ready to be used on a live server. If you use it without thinking anything needs doing you'll find a lot of issues.

Spend your time looking at the files and options, and seeing where everything is and how it works.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
the basic DB is not ready to be used on a live server. If you use it without thinking anything needs doing you'll find a lot of issues.

Spend your time looking at the files and options, and seeing where everything is and how it works.

I expected as much, but cant really be sure whats missing.
At the moment I'm just playing the server and resolving things as I go.

If you could suggest which parts of the DB are most lacking then it would certainly help me to focus my efforts?

Thanks for the response, and advice :)

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
all sections need reviewing (tbh you shouldn't assume anything is done for you if you're putting up a live server)

mobs have stats missing
maps have connections missing
items have wrong stats/missing
npcs scripts are missing/out dated

the db provided by daneo is a good start for anyone looking to mess around on, but it's definitely not something which should be used in a live server without going through it and seeing what it has.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
all sections need reviewing (tbh you shouldn't assume anything is done for you if you're putting up a live server)

mobs have stats missing
maps have connections missing
items have wrong stats/missing
npcs scripts are missing/out dated

the db provided by daneo is a good start for anyone looking to mess around on, but it's definitely not something which should be used in a live server without going through it and seeing what it has.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Although the server is online, its still in development. I'm hoping to build a community of people to help shape the server rather than impose my own preconceptions of the game. Along the way, i'm hopeful all the things you've mentioned will be resolved.

Fortunately, most issues I've encountered so far have had a forum post somewhere with the answer :)

Upvote 0

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Your probably better of starting from scratch deciding whether you want high or low rate, The current released DB is always good for reference. But shouldn't be used in a Live State,

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Your probably better of starting from scratch deciding whether you want high or low rate, The current released DB is always good for reference. But shouldn't be used in a Live State,

No doubt but i gotta start somewhere and it'll be easier to edit the current DB than start fresh.

I think i'm missing something because i'm getting a very "Woah dude, your using that DB!?" vibe and i'm there going, "its better than a blank one"
To be clear, I haven't "released" this server as such, only added to upcoming server section and made available for those who want to help in the development process.

For me to sit there myself and personally decide how the DB should be, kinda defeats the object of my project being community influenced plus I need it online so people can help decide what happens via the polls I have HERE and how they want the server balanced etc.

I'm probably talking gibberish at this point, anyways, hope fully the DB wont be standard issue for long.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
No doubt but i gotta start somewhere and it'll be easier to edit the current DB than start fresh.

I think i'm missing something because i'm getting a very "Woah dude, your using that DB!?" vibe and i'm there going, "its better than a blank one"
To be clear, I haven't "released" this server as such, only added to upcoming server section and made available for those who want to help in the development process.

For me to sit there myself and personally decide how the DB should be, kinda defeats the object of my project being community influenced plus I need it online so people can help decide what happens via the polls I have HERE and how they want the server balanced etc.

I'm probably talking gibberish at this point, anyways, hope fully the DB wont be standard issue for long.

Thanks.

Guess theirs no problem with using the current database, its just a cluster ****, And with the ease of the Crystal Files, takes mere minuets to get in game on a basic database, (Map,Safe Zone) this way you can add each area giving them mobs,drops,maps,mini map,quests,npcs etc etc before moving to the next this way you learn about the files and how they operate.

Upvote 0