Request DiamondM2 to CrystalM2

smoochy boys on tour

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
Hello All,

As some may be aware, I'm looking to convert an old set of DiamondM2 server files to the newer crystal ones.

Firstly i'm wondering, has this been attempted before and if so, Are there any tools already available to help with this process? ( I did try searching but came up dry)

Secondly, If anyone has previously tried this, what was your experience, what problems did you face and how did you overcome them ?

Thanks for any help!

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
No tool's made.
Shouldnt be to hard , as its db npcs, drop?

Well, i've been having a look for the last hour or so.

Most of it seems like a bit of tweaking and it might work.
NPC scripts are the same, quests need completely re-doing i think, MapInfo DB is a bit differant but i think i can work with it. Map movements im hoping c# will import without hastle. i havent looked at the drops yet.

I think matching the item/mob/tile images between DB and client might be the hardest bit?

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
You need to convert the maps to crystal.

I build all maps using shortys map edit and a 2.3 client ( as the crystal map editor is gay )

Awesome, thanks for the advice, I still have shortys map editor knocking about :) ( completely agree on crystal map editor! )

Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Is that shortys map editor available for download somewhere? I'd like to have a look how it compares to crystal editor.

Edit: actually did search on my computer and found it included with NewEden client. Not sure that was intention, probably oversight?

But can't open any map with it, the Load progress bar progresses OK but never goes away when it shows full progress :uncomfortableness:
And the map view shows nothing except at 100% you see a strip on the left side of the window view. No matter if I use Open or Open Old Format. Also moved the editor exe to map folder (was in data/map/*.lib folder but still nothing opens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Is that shortys map editor available for download somewhere? I'd like to have a look how it compares to crystal editor.

Edit: actually did search on my computer and found it included with NewEden client. Not sure that was intention, probably oversight?

But can't open any map with it, the Load progress bar progresses OK but never goes away when it shows full progress :uncomfortableness:
And the map view shows nothing except at 100% you see a strip on the left side of the window view. No matter if I use Open or Open Old Format. Also moved the editor exe to map folder (was in data/map/*.lib folder but still nothing opens.

Shortys map edit will only work with 1.9 / early 2.3 maps, after fishing was introduced map headers were changed and shortys editor only opens older format. Lilcool & Kyn made a converter to convert old to new maps to allow fishing etc. (servers read both types of map)

Since then its evolved further. Shortys is most bug free, but is limited dramastictly to old .wil and image caps.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man

Hmm, I'm at work at the moment so i cant get to my version to test it, but if it does work ill post it here later for download. Maybe it only works with certain maps or requires admin? If i remember correctly it needs to be in folder with the maps (or is it the folder with the tiles/ libs...brain fart) not sure but i remember there being a trick to it.

[FONT=&quot]
Shortys map edit will only work with 1.9 / early 2.3 maps, after fishing was introduced map headers were changed and shortys editor only opens older format. Lilcool & Kyn made a converter to convert old to new maps to allow fishing etc. (servers read both types of map)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Since then its evolved further. Shortys is most bug free, but is limited dramastictly to old .wil and image caps.

Ok lol yeah , this ... [/FONT]:lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Shortys map edit will only work with 1.9 / early 2.3 maps, after fishing was introduced map headers were changed and shortys editor only opens older format. Lilcool & Kyn made a converter to convert old to new maps to allow fishing etc. (servers read both types of map)

If the map doesn't need fishing which is most maps on typical server, I take it you don't need to convert then.

Since then its evolved further. Shortys is most bug free, but is limited dramastictly to old .wil and image caps.

shortys mapeditor seems to open just .map files, not .wil, at least its file open dialog allows to open just .map , at least explicitly, can use All Files to try and open anything I suppose.

Actually as NightScare said except I didn't get the full import of it:
You need to convert the maps to crystal.

I build all maps using shortys map edit and a 2.3 client ( as the crystal map editor is gay )

Upvote 0

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Last edited by meacher; Today at 11:02 AM. Reason: SmavidDavid's post was better than mine :P

g1438033424703061901.jpg

By converting everything to old.wils you can potentially use a lot of new content by building, renaming and editing .sets, but the tile.wils max out at img 9999 or 99999, and reset to 0, so tiles are limited, unless you rebuild entire .wil to suit your needs.

Long & short of it.. its ALOT of effort, and despite Nights decent effort he's limited to 2.3 maps pre-hell for map creation, anything after becomes buggy / isn't supported.

Crystal editor could be good with few bug fixes... and you can make maps it is very tedious, this is due to non existent .set's of latest objects though.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
g1438033424703061901.jpg

By converting everything to old.wils you can potentially use a lot of new content by building, renaming and editing .sets, but the tile.wils max out at img 9999 or 99999, and reset to 0, so tiles are limited, unless you rebuild entire .wil to suit your needs.

Long & short of it.. its ALOT of effort, and despite Nights decent effort he's limited to 2.3 maps pre-hell for map creation, anything after becomes buggy / isn't supported.

Crystal editor could be good with few bug fixes... and you can make maps it is very tedious, this is due to non existent .set's of latest objects though.

That meme's amazing! :lol

Some good info there, cheers, helps alot :)

Upvote 0

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
I do have TD 2.3 code with sin, archer,quest system and other fixes and systems. it would need code for changing screen res.

Upvote 0

meacher

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 16, 2004
Isle of Man
I do have TD 2.3 code with sin, archer,quest system and other fixes and systems. it would need code for changing screen res.

I would certainly love to have a look at that but alas, i think my delphi days are over lol

Never played a 2.3 with sin and archer apart from whatever rubyM2 is classed as so would be interesting.
Would it be easy enough go from 2.3 i'm using to the one you have if compiled? Does the code you have resolve the LOMCN user count being only active users and not total ?

Could be worth it to bring a few extra players into SabreMir while i work on crystal conversion, depends how easy it would be ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
should check out Xanders github, hes been adding things to his repo, edits to the default server/client etc looks interesting. would save you time adding them yourself.

Upvote 0